Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band removal in 12 hours...

Many blessings of good health and fast healing Jonathan. I am so sorry you're having to go through this, know that you're in our thoughts and prayers.

I hope all went well today. I'm so, so sorry you had to go through that (again). Hopefully recovery will be easier this time around. My thoughts and prayers are with you today.

I'll spend some time tomorrow answering questions, but I'm home now, and everything went pretty well. I send many thanks to you all for your prayers and/or good thoughts.

Blessings,

Jonathan

I am sorry, I am new to this group. Why do you have to have your band removed? I am so sorry!

Right after I had my band put in (1/31/2005) I was very sick for 2 weeks. I threw up constantly, most likely due to extra restriction caused by the swelling that resulted from surgery, and a band that was probably too small for me. The constant throwing up (I wasn't able to even keep down my own saliva) probably led to a slip. However, because my doctor didn't do fills under flouroscopy, the slip wasn't caught until Thanksgiving of last year, when I went for my first fill under flouroscopy.

Awwww Jonathan, Im not sure why you are getting your band removed, I remember you had a slipped band, but I thought that was fixed.

After the slip was discovered, they removed all saline from the band and put me on a liquid diet for a week. In that time, the band *did* slip back. However, shortly after receiving my first fill, the band slipped again. Because the band slipped twice, there was no hope that it would remain in place, even if it did slip back on its own. The sliding up and down the track that the band was on created scar tissue that enabled slipping.

Did you decide not to have any other form of WLS done then? Or are you waiting to decide?

I had the option to have my surgeon try to repair this band, but in cases like this, they usually want you to have the band removed and wait six months and try again. I was also given the option to revise from lapband to another WLS (the one offered to me was RNY, and I didn't pursue the route to see if other bypass surgeries, like DS, would be covered).

I'm done with the band. My experience wasn't as bad as some have had, but it was bad enough that I'm not interested in ever having it again. I ddn't lose much weight with it, I was miserable after surgery, miserable many times during the course of the year I had it, and it was a serious hindrance to losing weight once it slipped. For me, once it slipped, I had no restriction when it came to any food I could eat, but it prevented me from eating some foods -- like salad (lettuce, specifically), brocolli, many other vegatables and fruits.

So, that's my story, more or less. In a few days, I'm going to post a rather long post detailing what I've learned in the past year, in hopes that it will help those who are currently banded, those who are considering banding, and those who have lost their bands. I feel like I've learned a lot, and want to be able to share it with whoever is interested.

Hope this answers some questions for people.

Peace,

Jonathan

We'll look forward to that post, Jonathan. So glad you're home and feeling okay.

Elizabeth

8-28-03

revision due to slip 3-10-05

removal due to slip 3-10-06

I'm so glad that you are home and safe. I'm praying for a quick recovery for you.

Kendra

Jonathan,

Ive had you on my mind all day...

how ya doin?

My throat hurts worse than my stomach. It's almost as if they shoved some tube down it and then ripped it back out. :hat:

My incisions don't hurt, but man are they uuuuuugly. I'm afraid it's going to be some time again before I'm the sexiest thing on the beach.

I have one place inside me that hurts really badly. Everytime I move it hurts it. I'm guessing it's some place that got bruised pretty badly during the surgery. I think it's getting better, but it's enough to make me happy enough to take my hydrocodone every 4 hours.

Mostly, I'm just looking forward to eating steak again. :hungry:

I'm healing. I guess that's all I'm supposed to be doing right now =)

Jonathan

Mmmmm... steak.

MmmmMMMmmMMmm!! Hydrocodone. I miss that stuff. *grins*

Glad to hear youre doing ok Jonothan. Take it easy and don't over do it. And yes, heal. *hugs*