Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Surgery Eating Habits

I've trying to note how I eat my food and I definitely wolf or gulp down my food. I'm trying hard to begin chewing 25-30 times before swallowing but I'm not sure how long it will take for me to really develop this habit. I'm afraid after surgery I might hurt myself with this dang gulping but I'm guessing I'll only have to make that mistake once. Anyone had any experiences?? Due to have the band on August 23rd.

I think it is very smart that you are trying to be aware and practicing it ahead of time. It takes awhile. I am almost 2 years out and practiced before hand. If I am not paying attention or talking I will eat fast and then I get stuck. And you don't want that to happen. So, my advice is to just try and remember to cut your food pieces into small pieces. I was told the size of a pencil eraser and chew, chew your food good. Also put the fork down and wait a minute or two in between putting food in your mouth. Good luck to you.

I agree starting to slow down before is a great idea and I always cut up my protien into small bits. If I am over hungry I tend up eat too fast and end up stuck x luckily as I chew well and the hits are small the uncomfortableness only lasts 10 mim only had 4 stuck episodes.

I struggle with this still, and I'm almost 2 months post-op. I started practicing pre-op but I also let myself get too hungry and eat faster. I haven't had any real "stuck" episodes but I have been uncomfortable twice from eating too much. Trying to sneak in that "one last bite" after you get your full signal. Feels like horrible indigestion for about 5 minutes then it passes. Maybe that is my stuck feeling? I'm not sure, I'm too new at this :)

I was wondering what the "stuck sensation" would feel like. I get panicky would it feel like choking?

No, getting stuck is not like choking, you can definitely breathe when you're stuck, it just hurts a little. Overall, it's more like chest pain than anything else.

I had the same problem pre-banding, I was always a fast eater. Eventually, when you reach some restriction with your band, you will be forced to slow down. Like the others have said, if I let myself get too hungry, that's when I'll usually run into problems. My doctor advises taking a full 30 minutes to eat a meal, and that's a long time considering a meal is one cup at most.

just cut food in small/diced sizes. chew to your hearts content.

go slow (with eating/drinking) and you will be fine.

don't worry about things you dont have to at this time. Keep a positive mind set and remember you are doing this for you

I was wondering what the "stuck sensation" would feel like. I get panicky would it feel like choking?

I don't think its choking. It just feels stuck in your chest, you may feel a burning sensation. It feels like it just won't move. Very rare will it pass through for me. Most times I throw it back up. And throwing up is not like it used to be, it is a little bit different. It's mostly mucuous. You shouldn't throw up a lot, it may cause problems with your band. I just feel so uncomfortable. So just try to pay more attention to your chewing and the size of the food you put into your mouth.

I read somewhere to use baby utensils while eating to help with Portion Control and in doing so your bites will be smaller and if you chew them the required/suggested amount of times food should go down easily. I mentioned this to my mom and she went to the kitchen and brought me the baby spoons that we used to feed my daughter (she's 19 now) when I still lived at home :rolleyes: . It was neat to have them and now I can use them. Might be something to try, couldn't hurt. I also am getting banded on Aug. 23 :o and have all these same questions running through my mind.

Good luck :)

I read somewhere to use baby utensils while eating to help with Portion Control and in doing so your bites will be smaller and if you chew them the required/suggested amount of times food should go down easily. I mentioned this to my mom and she went to the kitchen and brought me the baby spoons that we used to feed my daughter (she's 19 now) when I still lived at home :rolleyes: . It was neat to have them and now I can use them. Might be something to try, couldn't hurt. I also am getting banded on Aug. 23 :o and have all these same questions running through my mind.

Good luck :)

baby spoons/forks is a good idea. i dont use them. i do use a very small salad plate. portion control should be a mental thing. try not to eat over 1/2 to 3/4 cup at any given time. that is what i am doing now (and i do not have any restriction) but i am eating like i do.

this forum is excellent for any questions you may have. if you can, get a book called the band wagon from Jean McMillion. she is on the forum alot and her book is what i call the band bible.

You're not alone.

Everybody in my family used to make loving fun of my great aunt Gladys, who was the slowest eater I've ever encountered. Thanksgiving dinner took her about 90 minutes to eat....she was still working on the turkey when the rest of us were groaning over the last bite of pie. When I was banded, I began to wish I was more like Aunt Gladys. It took just one stuck episode to teach me how important it is to eat carefully with the band.

What helped me the most was putting my eating utensils down between every single bite. Other things you can try: cut your food into tiny (pencil eraser size) pieces, eat with baby utensils, use an egg timer between each bite.

Stuck episodes feel different for different people. Mine usually caused severe chest pain and could last from a few minutes to a few hours.

My stuck episodes are a discomfort in my chest area. I cannot swallow anything until it moves, either up or down.

Someone on this site said sabot each bite. Appreciate what your are eating. If I am over hungry, I try to have a shake instead of food, so I do not eat too quickly.

I cut my food into tiny pieces before I start eating. That way, even if I do get distracted, I can still only pick up a tiny piece. I use a regular knife and fork for my mains but always a teaspoon for anything that is eaten with a teaspoon.

I get stuck if I eat too quickly, usually from letting myself get over-hungry, or if the meat is too dry. It's not pleasant but is a very effective learning experience!

Congrats on your upcoming surgery! You may want to start timing your meals and make sure to take at least 30 minutes to eat.

I am a little over 2 months out, and still learning how to take small enough bites, chew enough and slow down. For me, getting stuck feels like a very deep chest ache/pressure. Sometimes it is at the bottom of my throat. it lasts anywhere from 15 minutes to a few hours.