Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I haven't been banded yet, but am in the process of doing the 6 month doctor visits/diet. I've been to a seminar about the surgery, a seminar with a nutritionist, a seminar with a physical therapist, my 1st monthy visit, a consultation with the doctor, and the psychological consult. I have an EKG scheduled this coming week. After that, it's just the monthly doc visits to weigh in until preop stuff. Now, I'm nervous. I'm excited to lose the weight & start a healthier lifestyle, but I'm nervous about the surgery & although it may sound silly, I'm nervous about people's reaction. I've only told 5 people that I'm having it done & that includes my parents & of course my husband. I'm a private person when it comes to my weight, & I've already noticed that as soon as I tell some people that I'm having it done, they think it gives them the okay to discuss how I look & everything about my weight & image. Has anyone else felt this way? Any tips on how to deal with it? I'm feeling myself getting a bit down from the negative spotlight from just a few close people, & I haven't even had the surgery yet.

just had my surgery yesterday and everything preop was way more stressful than the surgery or this post op. I feel great. Just make sure you plan so everything post op is easy. I am pretty comfortable after surgery, but I wouldn't want to be running around looking for Vitamins and Protein Water now. It is nice to just be relaxed after a few months of stressing over it.

I told people (my boss, coworker, etc) I was having my gallbladder taken out because it was suggested elsewhere on this forum. The symptoms and scars are really similar and you have to change your eating habits after, so it wont seem as weird to people who you don't want to talk about your weight with. It has worked well for me. The only sort of caveat now is that during surgery yesterday my doctor said my gallbladder (which I still have) looks "funky" and he might have to take it out in 6 months, but to see how the dieting goes first. So if I do need my gallbladder out in a few months, it might be hard to find an excuse forthat surgery haha. But whatever. I'm happy with everything and I don't think my medical problems and weight have to be shared with anyone except my familiy and close friends.They are my support and I don't need random peopel thinking about my weight. I'm curious what other people do though.

it's amazing how rude people can be. i dont know why people feel it's ok to say soooo how much have you lost...none of your freakn business! ugh! i choose to tell a few close people cuz everyone wasnt suppportive. if you have friends that are heavy dont be surprized by their lack of support or even jealousy as you start to loose. this was one thing i didnt see coming.. congrats to both of you!

I didn't even tell my parents told one out of three siblings and a few friends. When people ask me how I'm losing weight I tell them high protien and 1200 calories and increased exercise it's the truth and it's no ones business about your band. Good luck and tell only who you want to tell also ask your surgeon if they can remove your gallbladder during lap band surgery.

it's amazing how rude people can be. i dont know why people feel it's ok to say soooo how much have you lost...none of your freakn business! ugh! i choose to tell a few close people cuz everyone wasnt suppportive. if you have friends that are heavy dont be surprized by their lack of support or even jealousy as you start to loose. this was one thing i didnt see coming.. congrats to both of you!

:) that's an unfortunate turn of events! Maybe just say its your appendix or a hernia when they have to do your gall bladder?

Thanks guys! After poking around on here, I'm defenantly seeing that it's a good idea to have everything ready for post op. I think I'll start a list in the progress journal the physical therapist suggested to make.

Thank God I won't have to worry about what to tell at work. I'm sure that was an uncomfortable situation to deal with. I really like the idea of answering the question of how you lost weight with the high Protein, low cal, & more exercise answer. =) Thanks!

@Jennifer1: I have a friend who had it done almost three years ago. She was one of the few I told. As soon as I told her, I could tell it made her feel like she had to get back on track. Which if it encourages her to be healthier then that's great, but I really didn't expect to get a few rude comments on my weight from her. I thought of all the people I knew, she would understand more than anyone. I guess I'll have to just stay close to my great support team & try to let those things go. Plus, now I have all of you guys on here to turn to for advice & encouragement. I've only been on here since yesterday, & already feel less lost & alone in it all. :)

Yes it's great to have the support of "total strangers" than people who know you and don't support you..just know that we are traveling this journey togethe and are here to support each other.

I feel the same way ... Some times I can't even talk to my own family about it ... It is great to have people to talk to about it ...