Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Stuck In A Rut After Being Banded 5 Years Ago

Hi everyone!

I'm new on here and am trying this out for the first time. I'm 43 years old and I had a lap band put in five years ago. My goal set by my doctor was 70 lbs. I lost from 227 (Height is 5'6 and weight was 227 when starting) to 184 but slowly crept back up to 198. I yo yo'd for years. Juggling my 4 kids (homeschooling), home business and my husband in kidney rejection and deaths of several friends and family members sort of put me in an imbalanced state emotionally, quite often. During that time, my husband needed a kidney transplant and I was a perfect match and donated one of my kidneys to him. I didn't go into see my surgeon as often due to embarrassment about my weight going up and down often. My surgeon happens to be a family friend (not too close but we go to their house for get togethers with friends occasionally)and I didn't realize how that later would become a little awkward and to where I don't go in as much as I should. Last year, I had to have my lap band removed due to a kink in the band which was actually discovered a few weeks after the first lap band surgery. We monitored it closely through the years and it was working as it should but in 2010, it got to where it wouldn't hold anything. Insurance paid to have it redone last summer (2011) and I had a plication done while they already had me opened up. A suggestion by my surgeon that I decided I would like. It's been doing great but I hit another bump in the road in our lives this past year and the weight I lost after this past surgery started to slowly come back on during the winter. I'm back to 195. I wasn't exercising but started exercising two weeks ago about 5 days a week with aerobics and stationary biking. I'm up to a 60 minute aerobic workout and tracking my weight, calories, carbs and Proteins. Haven't lost a pound yet but am attributing that to two Starbucks Frappacino Lights over the past week that I used in place of lunch. I'm bad about substituting Protein Drinks or bars as well in place of a regular food meals when I'm on the run (running the kids places,etc) due to not being as organized. This summer I've done some reorganizing of my life and priorities. Can anyone relate to my situation out there and have any advice? Thanks for listening.

Sounds like you know what needs to be done, and are already getting on track to do it. I think you would benefit the most from planning ahead for meals and Snacks that way you can control how many calories you are intaking and portion size! Keep you the great work your off to a good start just keep your head inmthe game. I noticed that after i restarted my weight loss the second time i have to work at it twice as hard! Dont be discouraged tho slow and steady wins the race. Good luck to you.

My recommendation is for you to sit down with a nutritionist. It sounds like you're not planning out your meals and not sticking to band friendly foods. Protein drinks and bars should be used only as a last resort. You may need to find a way to plan your food choices better. See a nutritionist, it's well worth the money if you want to be successful.

tmf

Thank you so much. That's great you should suggest that about the nutritionist. I tried calling her twice in the last week and missed her. I felt like I would be comfortable with telling her my history. Well, she can look at my chart and see that for sure...lol. I believe accountability with her might help. No, Í haven't been planning out my meals consistently and that has to be a big key to success (along with writing it down). I found myfitnesspal.com very helpful. Just started that two weeks ago as well. Thank you again for the encouragement.

You got some great advice. I couldn't agree more about planning meals!! That has helped me get back on track. Hubby and I stopped eating out and we plan our meals the day before... sometimes we plan out a few days in advance. I never want to find myself in the position where I don't know what I am going to eat so I grab something fast and unhealthy.

Cooking healthy doesn't have to take tons of time. Scallops literally take a few minutes to cook. Serve with a side of quinoa or asparagus. Baking fish is quick and healthy. Once you get a few favorite quick recipes in your recipe box... you should be golden!

Hey you can get back on track. I have been in some of those same spots. Are you taking a good Vitamin and what are you doing to get more energy and to boost your metabolism. I can share with you what I have been doing and it has helped me so much and also kept me focused and on track. Email me at vblack433@ymail.com. Stay in the race. We all have our ups and downs.

Sounds like everyone is giving you such great ideas. I know for myself one thing I do is have a day that is meal preparation day (sunday for me) and I get a whole weeks worth of breakfasts and lunches in little containers; baggies of nuts or veggies, etc. and then when I'm uber busy the rest of the week I already have stuff ready to go no matter the emergency. I try to make it just another chore like laundry day or what not. Someday I'll get dinner as ready in advance too and my food life will really be easy.

I love scallops!! That's some great advice. I like this forum. I should have been using it for years. Thank you so much. Tara, what kind of b'fast do you put in containers? I love ideas and great meal ideas for on the go.

Depending on your morning restriction... I like Southwestern Egg Beaters with some Jimmy Dean Turkey crumbles mixed in. Add in some fresh spinach and a little cheese. Super packed with Protein and nutrients. I actually had it for dinner tonight since my family was eating deep fried flounder (yuuuummmmmy) and as much as I love flounder... it was not a healthy choice for me.

Having quick fixes like that in the fridge gave me an option to make something band friendly for me while my family could still enjoy their meal.

I always keep cottage cheese, Greek Yougurt, string cheese, and almonds around. If your arsenol is ready... you will be set up for success!!

And yes... this forum is great. Keeps me motivated, focused, and the support is comforting!

That sounds really good. I like the Southwestern Egg Beaters as well. Will try that.

Your medical history sounds a little familiar to mine. I had the gallbladder removed many years before the lapband surgery. I also had a port replacement due to a kink in the port (and a plication with it). Thankfully didn't experience a hernia though. Bless you!

I like the ideas she just gave above. When I knew I was doing this journey I started to change my life so it wouldn't be quite as hard once it was here haha so I don't honestly know what I'll do when I'm back to solids (1 week postop). However I eat a paleo diet (anything you can hunt or gather) so I'd do omlettes in this baggies you can boil, eggs, onions, veggies, etc. and then you throw them in the micro and poof omlette. You can reuse them over and over even though ziploc or whatever says 1 use ;). I'd boil at least a dozen eggs every week so there was always a go to Protein. I'd make almond meal pancakes or sizzle up some sausage and put them in the plastic reusable things so mornings which are always rushed we could just micro stuff and eat in 30 seconds flat. Also got a magic bullet and would do baggies of spinach smoothies which had fruits, spinach, Protein Powder, etc. all mixed and then just add some greek yogurt or 1/2 c juice in blender at time of making - super easy so yummy. Most of the stuff would last about a week in a baggie since I used fresh so never tried to do more than 1 week. As for lunches sometimes sandwiches but I don't eat grains so for me it was usually turkey roll ups, cucumber slices, chicken salad, etc. or pull all the meat off rotis. chicken and divvy it up, etc. and then I'd make a trail mix once a week and have it all bagged up in 4 oz packages, etc. so that there is always *something* I can take. I'm the queen of running out of time and not knowing what to eat so either fast food or starving neither of which is good for me.

Very good ideas...thank you so much Tara! I hope you have much success!

hi there... i know what u going thru.. im sorry for everything tht has happened with u!!! keep strong... well i kind of relaxed on my band after almost 3 years being banded.. wht i needed to realize was that the band is just a tool that will help us to where we want to be, a health place.... so after gainin almost 15 lbs i deceded to join weight watchers,, it helped me a lot.. it made me focus on me, and seeing results made me feel awesome.. my lowest was when i got married in 2010 (I Was banded in 2008), i weighted 158.. n slowly crawled to 175lbs. i felt like a failure.. but now being in weight watchers since march, iam now weighting 145!. so do it. if its not weight watchers, i am sure u will find something that will make u focus on u, n see that u deserve this.. good lucky!!! dont ever forget the long way u came, dont give up " :)

Thank you mila86!! Sorry for the late reply! I

WOW! you have been very dedicated and strong through everything, you have been through A LOT! And you still have not given up and that says a lot! I was going in for fills every 3 weeks for 7 long months before they told me I had a leak, had second surgery Sept of last year and 3 weeks ago almost a year later I finally for the first time reached my green zone maybe closer to the red but too afraid to have a unfill right now, I give you kudos for hanging in there I know it can be hard. the only and only thing I Could suggest is to trade your Starbucks Frappuccino Lights for a regular coffee with a scoop of Unjury vanilla or if you prefer a mocha try the chocolate splendor, I finally had to let go of my morning sweet tea and now I am finally seeing the scale move. But I still get my caffeine, the warming effect on my band, less calories and it just seems to help things move through the system a little faster, Good Luck hang in there!