Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2006 Bandits

I am trying to hang in there, but feeling so down at moment, maybe i need a good sleep.............I will go ahead, but was thinking about your situatiom which is probably worse than mine..........:cry

Hi Amourette,

sorry to hear about your insurance.

I went to the gastrosomething today,they stik a long cabel into your stomach.everything is ok with my stomach,but it was the worst experience. It didnt hurt but it was so uncomfortable!

The good thing is that I got a date! My op is scheaduled 24th or 25th April! Hurray.

Godd luck to you,maybe there will be some other way how to finance your op!

Efrica, I believe it is an EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy) that you will undergo. I will have to have one too. I know many many people who have had it done and said it is not bad at all. They anesthetize your throat and have you swallow a tiny little light that is attached to a tube and then they are able to push it down into your esophagus on into the duodenum which I think is right at the opening of your stomach to see if your esophagus and duodenum are healthy with no problems, strictures, ulcers etc. You are sedated so you barely are aware enough to "swallow" when they tell you to. Good luck....I know you can handle it!

Hi Nanahanna,

so I had the EGD today. Did you say tiny little light and a tube, hell no the tube was like the tube to shower and it was so uncomfortable, but I survived it and I have a date! 24th or 25th April,yeah :D :cheer2:

I hope I didnt scare you too much,it doesnt hurt afterwards or anything,it just surprised me that it was so uncomfortable because everybody was saying that its ok.Good luck to you and keep us posted :eek:

Efrika! Eeeeeeeek! Were you sedated? About how long did it take? Well I am glad you told me the truth. When I was about to have my colonoscopy everyone said "you won't know a thing". NOT! I woke up a couple times and it hurt like hell! Won't EVER let anyone do that to me again!

amourette, actually my case is looking great. I found a doctor who accepts assigment for medicare, operates in a Centers of Excellence Hospital 90 miles from my home and I should know whether the state of LA will approve lap band for medicare patients on or right after May 2! If they don't this same surgeon does RNY and I have decided if I can't get lapband then I getting RNY even if it is more invasive. I am going to die if I don't so I might as well take the chance of more invasive surgery.

HANG IN BANDSTERS! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Efrika! Eeeeeeeek! Were you sedated? About how long did it take? Well I am glad you told me the truth. When I was about to have my colonoscopy everyone said "you won't know a thing". NOT! I woke up a couple times and it hurt like hell! Won't EVER let anyone do that to me again!

amourette, actually my case is looking great. I found a doctor who accepts assigment for medicare, operates in a Centers of Excellence Hospital 90 miles from my home and I should know whether the state of LA will approve lap band for medicare patients on or right after May 2! If they don't this same surgeon does RNY and I have decided if I can't get lapband then I getting RNY even if it is more invasive. I am going to die if I don't so I might as well take the chance of more invasive surgery.

Hey Amourette,

I wasnt sedated at all, they just sprayed some Xylocain into my throat and that was it. But I guess this may warry. He was moving with that freaking thing in my stomach for about 10 hours, or at least it felt like it. I think he was in my stomach not for more than 5-8 minutes, maybe because he saw that my stomach is healthy.

In the waiting room there was a scared lady who wanted to leave when I was coming out from the doctros office she asked me about it and I told that it was the worst thing that I ever experienced. When she came out from the doctors office that she is happy that I scared her because she thinks that it wasnt that bad. Everybody has different experience.

Let me know how it goes with your EDG!:D

I too have my date April 6th. I am so excited but getting more nervous as the date gets closer. I will see my surgeon for pre-op on the 29th. Don't have any clue about liquid diet prior to surgery. I can't wait to join the bandster club!!!!!:clap2:

Hi Everyone. Hope you are all doing well.

I started my liquid diet yesterday.

Day 2 and I am feeling hungry.

I breezed through it yesterday without even thinking of all my favorite foods. But today I woke up and I had my Carnation Instant Breakfast strawberry and a Granny Smith apple. Then at 10:30 i had yet anither shake this time vanilla. 12:30 is when I get to indulge and have a nice cup of Soup well I went to Panera (they have the best soup) and I asked them to hold the bread :cry which happens to be my favorite. I ate my soup and I felt nice and full. Until 2:30 comes and now I once again have hunger pains I cant have another shake until 3:30 which is a complete bummer:angry

I actually cried because I was hungry and I really want to have the will power to do this. I looked at my boss and I told him I had to go for a walk he said no problem take as much time as you want He is just a supportive as my husband ( I have to say he is the best boss that anyone could have) so at 3:20 my boss actually made my shake for me. How awesome is that. He looked at me and he told me that he believed in me. And that i can acomplish anything. He should know in just a year I achieved more than most of his sales reps:D .

So anyway now I am driving home from work I drive by 10 resterants and I didnt even stop I came home fed my son macaroni and chees and after he was done I made my shake and had halp of a cantalope I think I did good What will tomorrow bring

Hi everybody, I have my pre-admission testing set for April 6th and my tentative surgery date of April 17th. I'm having a hard time staying healthy. I was hospitalized 11 days in the beginning of Jan. for Asthma, and I'm very sick again . Back on antibiotics and steroids, with the steroids making me look like the good year blimp. Also , if I don't get this under control they definitely will not do my surgery unless I'm off of steroids at least 2 weeks.

As for the pre-op diets, my doctor doesn't think they are worth the stress they put on the patient. However, I remember reading on another thread that the pre-op diet helps after being banded because you do not get the bad withdrawal from no carbs, sweets, and having nothing but liquids right after surgery. Some mentioned feeling very weak and shaking with pounding headaches from the withdrawal. So I would suggest you try to tough it out knowing it wont be forever and that it will work toward your advantage after surgery. I think I will also try to get off carbs before my surgery date, hard as it is.

Wishing the best to the April Bandsters,

Roberta

Wow, I had a Gastroendoscopy and they put me out totally. I didn't wake up until I was in recovery.

Nanahana: I hope things work out for you. Don't give up. Keep trying for the surgery you REALLY want, don't settle unless you have to.

Roberta

amourette,

I'm sorry to hear about the denial of financial aid. I know how hard it is to come up with a large amount of money. I'll have my mom put you on her diet group's prayer list as well as my own. I can tell it's working because I made it through the carb withdrawals. In the past two days I've watched people eat Pepperidge Farm Milano Cookies in front of me and then someone offered me a piece of birthday cake. :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: (cake is a definite weakness of mine and I TURNED IT DOWN!!!!!! :clap2: )

I'm not sure what I'm feeling about this. There is so much going on with having to plan to out of school for 8 days and keeping up with grad school work. Actually it doesn't give me much time to think about food or to get into trouble with it.

Hang in there! I'm with ya!

Audra

PS: I'm thinking about the rest of our group as well. We're ALL gonna be real, live bandsters SOON!

I just had my surgery on Monday, March 20th and the one thing I can recommend is to walk as soon as possible.

I was in a lot of pain on the first day due to the gas problem, however, my wife forced me to get up and walk. By the end of the third day, the pain was very managable and I can deal with it much better.

You may or may not be hungry after the surgery. I have not been and my mother, who had her band about 8 months ago, was not hungry either. It's kind'a strange. Don't get me wrong. My mind still is telling me that a double meat hamburger :hungry: would be great, but I am not hungry.

amourette: I to have doing research on this for a long time, I was going to have the gastric bypass but after reading about the band and attending a seminar about it I have decided that this is the only way for me to go. I have been a member of this web site now for about three weeks and in that very short time have learned a great deal of the ups and downs of the band. This is a grt resource

I to have a date of the 17th and can hardly wait, yesterday I started my pre op diet and am following to the letter, I beleive to be successful I must give 100%.

Let me know how you are doing, I have posted a journal also that you can see in the right links about the never ending journey I am undertakin