Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2006 Bandits

John, congratulations. I'm glad everything went smoothly with your surgery. I've heard that the gas can be a real killer. The hospital I'm going to has their Bariatric Unit set up to have all patients walk EVERY TWO HOURS. That is around the clock! So I am sure that will help with the gas issue, but I'm sure that after being discharged I'll be so tired I'll sleep for days. LOL. Did you have to do the pre-op diet? I don't, I was wondering if that has anything to do with you not being hungry. I am impatiently awaiting my April 17th surgery date.

Roberta

Count me in for April!!! I am having surgery on April 19. I am 36 and have about 80 lbs or so to loose. I had to already start my "practice eating" for the whole next 4 weeks until surgery. I follow a regular bandster diet with the exception that I can have regular portions. I also have a liquid diet for 6 days prior to surgery.. I also have to exercise 30-45 minutes a day, six days a week.

I was really leary about all of the diet and exercise before having the band to help me along, BUT I am convinced that it is absolutely the way to go. I know how to eat before I get my band, I will be more "fit" before surgery to help with recovery, and I already discovered that it is possible to live without pop and bread (and I didn't think I could live without those two).

I also discovered ALOT of people on the message boards who seem clueless as to what they should eat after surgery. It doesn't seem like they have even spoken to a nutritionist, or have any follow up care at all. I know that the surgery itself is a big step, but the follow up on the surgery will get me to my goal.

Anyways, the best of luck to all my fellow April bandits!!!!!!

Kathi

"Did you have to do the pre-op diet? I don't, I was wondering if that has anything to do with you not being hungry. "

No, I wasn't on a pre-op diet. In fact, I did the exact opposite. I ate all my favorite foods - kind'a one last time. On Friday I had pizza, on Saturday I had Fried chicken with Cream Potatoes, and on Sunday, after church, I had Kung Pao chicken - Not to mention a few Snacks in between.

:)

Now you know why I had to have the band.

My doctor, Dr. Richard Carter in Arlington TX, provides a dietary plan after the op that I am required to follow. The one thing I don't like about the diet is the Protein drinks.....Yuk

:cry

My pre-op testing is exactly one week from today, Thursday. It's getting so close and I am soooooooo ready. :)

Audra,

to answer your question about the pre op diet... NO it is going horrible. I have this killer headache and nothing i do is helping. i am on liquids with protien drinks 2 a day and up to 3 yogurts or cottage cheese per day. i think once the headache goes i will be ok. the hardest part i am dealing with is my doc said "just try you best it is ok if you slip once in a while." that does not help me stay faithful to the diet at all. oh well i am sure i will make it. just counting the days till surgery, i am actually starting to think it will be easier then this diet is. how is everything going for you?

Jen

Wow, our group is getting bigger still in the small time I was away!!! Wow!

Welcome to jellibeanz, disneynut, Ceparano and Shackdog, and Kathi and also Infaith (again did you say, what happened)!!!!

wow, some are even starting to get the same date as me, was feeling alone there for awhile as you were all so early in April.

Re my insurance, I am still going ahead with it, but am damn well making sure I send EVERY SINGLE bill I get for consultations etc, which may be more in the end anyway, and then they say if they give the $4000 i wouldn't be eligible to claim for follow-ups so maybe it is a blessing in disguise:)

So I am all happy again, well except for the terrible Last Supper Syndrome I am having.

2 Questions for you all, does anyone know how I can post a photo of me into this thread so you can put a face to my name, and secondly anyone into coming into the chat room at a set time for us all to chat? Might be hard to organise but we could try??

Hugs to you all:clap2: :hungry: :)

just counting the days till surgery, i am actually starting to think it will be easier then this diet is. how is everything going for you?

Jen

Jen,

Things are better here food wise, but PMS has reared it's ugly head. :)

I'm actually better today than yesterday, where I wanted to cry whether the news was happy or sad. I'm halfway through the pre-op diet and due to the lovely Water retention of PMS, I can't tell a dang thing with the scale. :) So I'm just staying away from it because I know it's all Water. It has to be, I haven't had anything that even resembles a carb in the past week. My liver had better be well out of the way when April 3 gets here.

We were allowed to come up to our school to work today, so I put in a full day. You can now see the THREE desks I have in the room that are just for me. I DID NOT want a substitute in my room for over a week thinking "Oh my gosh!" I've got my games and songs ready, now all I have to do is type up the directions and I'm OUTTA THERE! (just a little bit excited :) )

Are you only allowed two Protein drinks and a few yogurts or cottage cheese? No wonder you have a headache and feel so yucky. I am thankful that my diet is with real foods. I do have a Protein Drink for Breakfast, but then I've been doing that for the past year anyway due to the diabetes and needing something pretty soon after getting up. It's also easier to grab a drink to go on the way to work.

Vent away here. Everyone on our thread is going through the same thing right now. We just happen to be the first! Think about it, our day is ALMOST HERE! :) :) :):D

Ok, I'm long winded tonight. Comes from working so hard today and getting most of my errands done. Haven't had much time to talk to anybody.

Audra

Good idea Amourette! A chat time for April bandsters would be great. 'm new to this whole thing and looking for any support I can get -- as well as giving any help I can. Sorry I don't know how to post a photo either.

--Linda

5'9

225/ mini goal anything under 200/ ultimate goal 150 (can't even imagine)

Dr. Rumbaut April 7th, 2006

Hey all, saw this great thread from before about March bandits, now hoping to make contact with April bandits, i am due for surgery on April 17th, around easter time....I am 35, live in NZ, and am a flight attendant, have been researching my op for a year now, was a big decision for me.......would love to contact people my own age and operation date to perhaps share our experiences and support, hope to hear from you..................regards Fiona:clap2:

:) hi my name isTracy im from London England, i also am booked to have surgery on the 26th April i am 38, have 3 children and i work as a dog groomer.

sorry about the typing never used a computer before my daughter found this great website now i cannot stay off it.

How have you prepared yourself (and family) for the big day,have you brought anything you think will be really helpful.

GOOD LUCK

Tracy cavigroomer@aol.com:clap2:

Hey all,

I am a future Mayer Bander. I plan on having my baby/band in the middle of May. I enjoy all the information in which you "short timers" have. Please keep up your writing cause I know some others "Mayers" are reading every word you people write. Keep it up!!!

Kisses =Besos

Audra and whoever else reads this,

I should have less venting today. I am feeling alot better, the headache is slight and the energy level seems to have come up overnight. 2 protien shakes and cottage cheese or yogurt x 3 a day + unlimited broth, sugar free Jello, and sugar free drinks is what is on my diet list.

I got lucky and got called off work today, but it just means i will be working sat. i am working 12 hour shifts everyday but tuesday this week, YUCK. with this liquid crap i am hoping i will survive.

I can't believe it is finally here. Friday was my pre op appt. I had to pay for the procedure and i was so worked up about the surgery and not in an excited way. i asked my doc if he thought i was making the right choice, and of course he gives me the typical doc answer about it being my choice blah blah blah, but he did say that he really felt that surgery seems to be the best answer for most people right now. he also said there are a few meds on the horizen and that they were probably versions of what is already available and that this is about the only long term option right now. then i went to the surgery center and talk to one of the RNs there and she was raving about how people come in for surgery at 8 am and are usually out by noon because they are up and walking with in hour post recovery and are usually drinking Water sooner than that. that nurse really helped soothe some of my nerves. i still feel kind of guilty that i am doing this to my body, but i imagine it is just fear of surgery and once it is over i will be happy i did it.

What time is your surgery and where are having it done at?

I compiled a list of dates for all of our bandings. If I forgot or overlooked anyone I am very sorry. Please add your date to this thread.

I thought it would be nice if we could all kind of go through this together and share our experiences as they happen.

JenRN 4-3 and Picardy3 4-3

Angelu 4-4 and brneyezz 4-4

Disneynut 4-6

Indababy 4-7

little one 4-10 and Nissi69 4-10

tlj 4-11 and Reyna 4-11 and Vickie1177 4-11

Infaith 4-12

dsrjrr 4-13

Ceparano 4-17 and Shackdog 4-17 and Amourette 4-17

Kathi 4 -19

Tracylou 4-26

Jellibeanz 4-28

Good luck to my fellow April Bandsters (or Bandits as some like to be called) :)