Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sedentary Looking For Inspiration

Lead a sedentary lifestyle trying to get motivated to exercise. Where do I begin? I get my surgery June 25 and I know exercise will need to be part of this new lifestyle I am just lost on types of exercises and how to get going? Any help is appreciated. I have no energy on this preop diet tired all the time and I have one more week to go. Thanks!!

so i had recently switched jobs which required me to sit all day every day.. for ten hours a day i sat to do my job, then i sat another 1.5 hrs on my commute every day .. walking.. for me was from the car to my desk.. and from my desk to the car.. needless to say.. i gained 30 lbs.. on top of the 307 i already weighed. when i decided to be banded i knew id run into the same problem u are .. i started the gym at the same time i started my liquid diet as well.. which is right where ur at. my suggestion.. from my experience.. walk on the treadmill.. at your own pace for ur own time. i stareted of at 1.5 miles an hour.. seriously.. i was a bit embarassed but it was what i cud do. ive since advance to the elliptical.. running at 7 or 8 miles an hour for 3 miles straight. challenge urself and you will realize ur always goin to want to do more.

not having energy .. i get that to.. i think what helped me.. is having my bf with me.. ( granted m y by weighs 110 lbs) but he encouraged me so much and went to the gym with me.. walked with me and was like my wn cheering party. find a friend.. and buddy up.. u will need the support when the creavings attack and those down days come.. trust me u will. there is also gatorade... the diet ones of course.. mio ( with energy) and other drinks you can buy low calorie low sugar.. blastingw ith energy.

my initial approach to excersing was.. to not excersie. i walked. and wen i got tierd and bored of walkin.. i started using machines at the gym.. moving to the elliptical.. and so forth. dont go trying to be a super person and excersieof the bat... ud get tierd frustrated and achy.. start of slow.. mellow and AT UR OWN PACE. and move up from there.. its what i did.. i started at 337... im now down to 283. and very proud of myself.

idk if it helps any .. but good luck,

That helps a lot ! It's nice to know I am not alone in this. Thanks!

I was the same way. I started my preop diet last monday. I also started using my we fit. I started slow doing only fifteen a day for the first 2 days now I do 30 min a day. Some days i come hame from work and dont want to do it but I tell myself it is only a half hour. I always feel so much better about myself when I am done. I know it isnt much but it is 100% more than I did before. I hope to advance to 45 min. by the time my surgery next week. So all I can say is to start slow and you will feel so good about yourself.

the key to success with exercise is variety and finding something that you enjoy so that you don't get bored and give up.

I started with walking and dancing, added in cycling and swimming. DH and I are currently training for the Great Victorian Bike Ride, a multi day, 600 km touring bike ride in late November, so I am cycling more than any other exercise.

But dancing is definitely a favourite as it is fun, social and something else I can do with DH.

I have a couple of machines at home, stationery bike, elliptical and rowing, but only use them when we just cannot get outside because of the weather. I'd rather walk or cycle in the rain than get on the exercise bike in my lounge! but others may prefer the exercise bike, so it really is a matter of personal preference.

I can only say that I was still sedentary the first year because I was still heavy. About the time I hit 203 from 267, I began to get the inspiration to go walking. Then I added one day of Water aerobics, then I joined a gym for three power workouts, when I saw the scale drop to 188...I realized I should have started much earlier. The one advice I can give. However, you will do it when you are ready. Good luck:)

weight.png

I agree, finding exercise you enjoy helps. Try Zumba, a dance class, swimming, walking outdoors, or a workout DVD at home if that's more comfortable. Buy yourself some cute new running shoes and activewear!

Lead a sedentary lifestyle trying to get motivated to exercise. Where do I begin? I get my surgery June 25 and I know exercise will need to be part of this new lifestyle I am just lost on types of exercises and how to get going? Any help is appreciated. I have no energy on this preop diet tired all the time and I have one more week to go. Thanks!!

I have a wii, and the wii fit is such fun. You don't really feel like you are working out. It's good if you are starting out. I want to lose weight before I go to the gym. I know that probably sounds so stupid lol. But they have Zumba for the wii and all kinds of dance games!

Look into some different forms of exercise and see what interests you. I dont like weights, treadmill, or dance classes of any kind, but i love the Water fitness class i take 3x a week. That , plus walking and a little jogging has helped alot . once i lost some weight i felt i could try something new, so 2 weeks ago i tried Spinning, and i didnt do too bad. It was kinda fun ! So , keep an open mind and try something new ! Good luck !

I have heard for people coming from a sedentary lifestyle to trying to be more active, it's a lot easier to ease into exercise. The recommendation is still 30 minutes a day, but to break it up into manageable chunks (10 minutes, three times a day) so that it's not overwhelming. Start out in the AM with a 10 minute walk around your neighborhood, take a 10 minute walk on your lunch break, and a 10 minute walk at night. As you become more active, you can gradually add more time til you are at a level you feel comfortable with.

Thank you so much for making this post. I was banded 6 months ago and can't seem to start exercising constantly.. I might walk my treadmill 3 days in a row and then stop for 2 weeks and start again. Im looking for ways to excersice but I can't fit a gym in my budget right know. Still paying for my portion of the surgery.

I'll take note on all the suggestions been posted here,

thanks

Thank you so much for making this post. I was banded 6 months ago and can't seem to start exercising constantly.. I might walk my treadmill 3 days in a row and then stop for 2 weeks and start again. Im looking for ways to excersice but I can't fit a gym in my budget right know. Still paying for my portion of the surgery.

I'll take note on all the suggestions been posted here' date='

thanks[/quote']

You can do it! Also a good budget friendly idea is to check out exercise DVDs from the library. they usually have a good variety.