Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are You Still On Cholesterol Meds?

I had lap band last March. I was praying that it would help lower my cholesterol and get it in line. However, I am still up in the 300's. I was on Crestor before my surgery. Now it gives leg cramps. I went back to my doctor and he put me on the OTC Niacin, a Vitamin.< /p>

Is anyone else having cholesterol problems and what are you taking? I need to get this in line, I want to be around for my kids.

Help. Need some input.

My Total Cholesterol is down to 160. My endocrinologist did not want me to come off the the 40mg of simvastatin as he said the numbers were perfect now. Since I have no side effects we should stay with it rather than go off and have the numbers increase. He did cut my blood pressure meds down to just 5mg of lisinorpil.

My liver enzymes went from 1.5 times the upper limit to close to the lower limit. That was a HUGE difference and was the most significant of all the changes in body chemistry.

It did take me close to 18 months from surgery for me to see the changes I needed. If you have a little patience things may improve with time too. Good Luck !!

While my cholesterol is lower than yours it's still bad. I am on a statin and take co q 10 to help with the muscle aches. My family has bad cholesterol levels. I'm very careful about the food I eat , have lost 170 pounds, and do up to 2 and a half hours of cardio daily. Not sure what else I can do. Ask your doctor about co q 10 found in the Vitamin aisle. Not sure if you can take it with niacin or not.

I have lost 60 lbs and eat very now fat diet still have increased cholesterol some people are below bmi and still have bad levels.

I just want to be around for my kids. My parents both had heart attacks in their 40's. I turn 38 in a few weeks. Scares me.

I am allergic to statins so have been taking Niacin. I am off it for now until I get the OK to go back to them. Hoping the weight loss can get me off them altogether. Have a bad family history of heart disease as well.

I am allergic to statins so have been taking Niacin. I am off it for now until I get the OK to go back to them. Hoping the weight loss can get me off them altogether. Have a bad family history of heart disease as well.

Did the niacin bring your numbers down?

The thing is with blood pressure and cholesterol, it CAN be weight related and weight loss will help bring your numbers into line.

But sometimes, its just not. Many thin people have cholesterol problems. Many thin people eat really badly too. I know there's no real consensus on the whole high Protein low carb thing, but if you have cholesterol problems that arent resolving with weight loss, its probably best to steer clear of too many animal foods and eat your fruit, veg and wholegrains. High cholesterol levels can be hereditary.

I know my DH was banded, lost 40kg and is still on blood pressure medication. His BP did not budge at ALL with a that weight loss. Mine was never high, but came down significantly with weight loss.

My cholesterol levels tend to be a little on the high side, right t the very top of normal. But my LDL/HDL ratio is really good, exercise and weight loss has really fixed that even though it hasnt brougth down overall levels very much. My mother had a heart attack at 65, so did my maternal grandmother and there's HEAPS of bowel cancer in my family, and i've already been a victim before the age of 45. So there's no way on EARTH I would eat the high Protein style diet that so many bandsters have. I am sticking with wholegrain breads, cereals etc and lots of fresh produce, minimal meat etc.

It might just be a health condition you have to manage. But dont despair, by losing all that weight, you blow away your risks of so many other diseases and conditions, and you maximise your potential of not dying as a result of heart disease whatever risk factors you cant control. Cholesterol is only ONE risk factor!

Did the niacin bring your numbers down?

Yes it had My HDL is over 1000

Yes it had My HDL is over 1000

Oops it should have said 100

I have not been back to have the numbers checked yet. Trying to give it a few more weeks to see. I will post it when I do. Thanks for asking.

Just had blood tests done this week and my cholesterol has gone up to 8 ( don't know what that is in the US) but it puts me in the very high risk category. I ahve been refusing to take statins for years but it looks like I will have to bite the bullet and do as my Dr advises. He has prescribed Ezetrol which I think is Zetia in the US. No idea if it is better or worse but I am going to have to avoid the internet, throw the list of side effects away and just take them.

I do not eat a high Protein diet. I eat oats almost every day or homemade muesli which is also full of raw oats. I eat nuts, veg ,seeds and wholegrain. I do eat eggs a couple of times a week but the jury on whether they are good or bad is still out, they change their minds all the time. I also take a daily coq10. I think I might have to up my dose and maybe start taking daily metamucil as well. there is no point to me buying one of those sterol enriched spreads as I don't eat spread often enough for it to have an effect.

Not looking forward to muscle aches, memory loss and loss of libido! Oops those are supposedly things that happen naturally with menopause and ageing anyway - they are NOT side effects of anti cholesterol meds. Maybe if I repeat that to myself often enough I will start believing it.

My biggest worry are the reports that say cholesterol reducing meds do not prolong your life they just change what you die from.So instead of a stroke or heart attack I will be able to look forward to cancer or something instead.

I really do have a problem don't I. Someone please make me feel better. tell me that the Dr's are right that it's not just a conspiracy by the drug companies to make as much money as possible by having as many people as possible on a drug for the rest of their lives $$$$$$

Please do your own research on Zetia (Ezetrol). There was a good bit of controversy on the drug trials and the efficacy of this medication. I was on it for a short time when it was first released along with a statin medication. My endocrinologist took me off it and said he no longer prescribed it for patients.

It may be good for you but I would strongly advocate doing your own research and discussing further with your Doctor if you feel so inclined.

Don't encourage me. I am supposed to stay away from Dr Google.

Well, after a few months of taking the Vitamin Niacin, my numbers went up to 450. Highest they have ever been. That was 2 weeks ago. My doctor has ordered Crestor for me. Just waiting for it to come in from the mail pharmacy. Do not like taking meds at all. But I have 3 little ones and my parents had their strokes in their 40's...I am not far from that. Scary.

Crestor gave me leg cramps before, but doctor said that was nothing, really, to worry about. If I could handle the cramps, stick with it until my numbers are low then they will change it again.

I pray I can get this down. Not like I am eating tons of fried foods, burgers, ice cream or chili cheese fries. WTH?

This is so unfair. I did the surgery so I could get healthy and off meds. Gotta thank my father for his genes.