Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining Weight After 4 Yrs

My band was put in in Jan. 08 and no problems this whole time. I eventually lost 87 lbs and hit my goal weight in April 2011. Sine then I have been gradually putting weight on and have gained 35 lbs now and I just don't feel that I have ny restriction. No reflux or vomiting. My doctor ismhaving more problems with accessing my port too. I will admit that I haven't been working,out as much as I was doing when I was actively loosing weight. Plus I have become very dependent on "slider foods". Anyone else out there feeling like they have lost all their restriction and are putting weight back on. I'm worried that my band has failed. Many advice out there?

Teanne

I was banded Sept 08 lost about 53 lbs then had Fluid removed due to divorce/losing insurance and moving across country. i was in the restriction zone, but didn't want to have issues driving across country and having my band empty by ER on some small town somewhere. I have gained about 48 lobs of it back over 3 years. I went and got another fill two weeks ago and on the losing side of it now, I had to forgive myself and relearn how to eat again.

It is likely that what you were ok with initially has settled, you could have a minor leak, and probably need a fill again. My suggestion is to try to get in asap and see them about doing a fill. Have your primary care Doctor do a referral to a bariatric doc to check the band and make sure it is in place and for a fill. My insurance covered this, and hopefully ours will too. They did make me have an upper GI to verify placement etc.

Try to do it as soon as you can so that you can nip it in the bud. Good luck!

I was banded in November, 2007 and I finally hit my goal weight at the end of 2011. I started having reflux at night and so I went in and had to get a partial unfill. My original surgeon moved and is no longer in my area so I had to go to a new doctor and he definitely took out too much. I can eat anything and I am hungry all the time. I've gained about 6 pounds but I am really being careful and monitoring what I am eating. I think I have it under control. He won't do any more fills until I have some kind of test to make sure I don't have any damage. I may have to find another doctor.

I am having a Tummy Tuck, lower body lift and breast lift on Thursday so I am glad that I don't have restriction because I don't want to worry about being too tight during the recovery.

Maybe you have a leak and that is why you don't have a lot of restriction. If your doc can't access the port he should probably do an x-ray to see where it is and what is going on.

Good luck!

I have had a similar experience after seven years - after I had to totally unfill for another surgery. My belief is that small changes, slacking off every so slightly that its not even noticeable, add up to weight gain over time.

I've not "gained" per se - in that I ended up at about 150lb until I got sick - and I'm still 145. But I dropped to 130 - really really thin for me at 5ft 10 and havent been able to hold that weight (why i wanted to is a whole nother story, it looked awful). Its been due to a reliance on slider foods, eating more overall, less restriction from my band. I had a Tummy Tuck 12 weeks ago - which I didnt unfill for - and the necessary reduction in exercise afer that was the final straw - I bounced up 8lb to 145. I have this lovely flat stomach but my love handles are hanging over the BACK of my jeans now, grrrrrr.

The only answer is NOT to slack off. Get off those slider foods, get back in the gym, it takes work your whole life to maintain this new weight.

We were discussing this in another thread but what seems to happen is that veteran bandsters get to the point where they cant "feel" tightness or restriction, think they need nore fill and end up with reflux and heartburn. It has certainly happened to me. I know I cant have more fill than I have - so I have to work with it. I was astounded yesterday - barely eat sandwiches coz I dont like bread much and particularly dont like sandwiches - but that was what was on offer yesterday for lunch, so I had a tuna sandwich. Down the hatch in minutes, easy as. I was full yes, I only wanted one, i didnt eat again all afternoon but I could never have done that 2 years ago!

My doc said to me that I may have to accept being slightly heavier (My BMI is 20) - dont want to but that may be the way it is.