Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Swollen And Bloated Stomach/breathing

I am currently on my 2nd day post op. My nurse told me that it doesn't get worse...every day it should get better. But I don't think that's what is happening with me. I feel fine for a while, then I get horrible gas pains out of no where. Granted, I do feel somewhat better than I did right after surgery and the day after. I had this pulling feeling when I would stand up..but it has gotten better. Today, I am still having some difficulty taking deep breaths. They did not give me the little breathing device? Should I be worried?

My belly looks so incredibly weird. Where my pouch is, it looks so big and swollen. I feel like it's never going to go back to normal. How long is it going to be like this? One positive aspect is that I am now able to lay on my side without it hurting. My back is still agonizing. :wacko: I am constantly asking myself..."What did you do, Bre?" I really need some encouragement.

I am currently on my 2nd day post op. My nurse told me that it doesn't get worse...every day it should get better. But I don't think that's what is happening with me. I feel fine for a while' date=' then I get horrible gas pains out of no where. Granted, I do feel somewhat better than I did right after surgery and the day after. I had this pulling feeling when I would stand up..but it has gotten better. Today, I am still having some difficulty taking deep breaths. They did not give me the little breathing device? Should I be worried?

My belly looks so incredibly weird. Where my pouch is, it looks so big and swollen. I feel like it's never going to go back to normal. How long is it going to be like this? One positive aspect is that I am now able to lay on my side without it hurting. My back is still agonizing. :wacko: I am constantly asking myself..."What did you do, Bre?" I really need some encouragement. [/quote']

Im feeling the same as you....rather i was...i was banded on 6/4 . Congrats on your journey...you will succeed!!!!

It will get better you guys!! Hang in there and as it heals it will start to feel better. You will swell up inside and also have gas pains due to the surgery. The feeling of 'oh no what did I do' will go away also and keep thinking positive.

I was banded in 9/08 and had the same feelings, thoughts etc.. I went through a divorce and had Fluid backed out still some restriction but not full 7/09 due to losing my divorce/losing insurance and was moving back to california. I gained some back but not all and finally got my first fill 2 weeks ago since then so I am on the process of new restriction after all this time.

I had to go through the process of learning how to eat, chew chew chew and had a few issues with the PBing and getting a bit stuck, because of the fill you swell a bit inside.

I found that when you get filled try to relax your tummy muscles, warm tea or drink helps me loosen up in the morning so I don't have issues. Many of us have bands that will not quite wake up first thing in the morning! For me I have always had to do some things to warm up before I grab food.

Drink that fluid, keep hydrated and the negative feelings will pass as you start to notice changes in your clothes. Within days I found my body reacting differently, and can see changes in body parts.

I found a warm bottle/pad seemed to help me to move excess gassy spots or when you get pain from them.. maybe lean against it to relax..

I am currently on my 2nd day post op. My nurse told me that it doesn't get worse...every day it should get better. But I don't think that's what is happening with me. I feel fine for a while, then I get horrible gas pains out of no where. Granted, I do feel somewhat better than I did right after surgery and the day after. I had this pulling feeling when I would stand up..but it has gotten better. Today, I am still having some difficulty taking deep breaths. They did not give me the little breathing device? Should I be worried?

My belly looks so incredibly weird. Where my pouch is, it looks so big and swollen. I feel like it's never going to go back to normal. How long is it going to be like this? One positive aspect is that I am now able to lay on my side without it hurting. My back is still agonizing. :wacko: I am constantly asking myself..."What did you do, Bre?" I really need some encouragement.

I know how you must be feeling.. but it is early days and you have just had major surgery. Before you know it your body will be hurting a lot less... the swelling will be going down again, and you will be feeling really happy about hte whole thing. i dont think there are many people here who didnt go through hard times after surgery, one way or another. The mental issues as well as the emotional ones as well. I had a really swollen section where my pouch is... its still a bit swollen after two months but goign down well. The pain will leave... if you have meds be diligent in taking them. its only temporary and it will help you adjust to the whole post op thing. WE will ask you how you feel in three months time... it will be quite a different story. Hang in there... one day at a time. I was banded on the 23rd march.

Hey it was surgery, your body is saying what have you done to me now and you feel pretty crappy.. We all felt some discomfort ... It is all about attitude and for some folks it is buyers remorse and for others I haven't woken up skinny darn guess I have to follow a routine (diet). Others wake up and say okay I am on my way.

I was so totally unprepared for the gas shoulder pains it was like holy moly my incisions hurt but what the H ----did they do to my shoulder they said you might have some discomfort... discomfort?????????????? it hurt, my stomach was swollen and bruised and oh yeah they used glue to close me since I have a latex allergy found out I have a glue allergy too. I felt pretty rotten for about 5 days but better each day. Stayed in my jamesy.

The day I had surgery was probably the only time in my life I did something for just me , and it was the best day of my life.... I love my lap band and my only regret is that I didn't have it sooner... Because my life is so much better ... Because now I like me and the new me eats to live not lives to eat, I move around especially the mall where I can shop anywhere.. I go to the drugstore for cosmetics not a new medication.

You will feel better , now it is up to you how you handle the journey. People on this site will help you each step of the way... because those of us who have changed our lifes want everyone to feel the way we feel and while the Band is a tool your biggest tool is in your head. Fact is surgery hurts they open up your body, it has to heal , It will. So Good Luck ........

I'm day three post op. I'm swollen too and up three pounds! Is this normal?

I dealt with the difficulty breathing as well. I've had pneumonia a few times in my life and it felt the exact same way, without the temp and the coughing of course. I didn't get anything for breathing either but it didnt even last a week, I say just give it some time. As for the port problem, I can barely find mine so I can't help there.