Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stop Askiing How Much Wieght I Lost

Seem people thought that my wieght would fall off faster for some reason , si now when friends , family see me , they say have u lost any more wieght? I was 300lbs when band now 6 and a half weeks out , im down to only 271 lbs . When I have to say , no I havnt lost any more wieght , they seem disappointed , I beginning to feel like I'm letting them down , I'm stuck and the scales won't move , still have no fills , and am hungry a lot, I'm starting to feel that I really should check into getting this taking out and getting a bypass, I want to lose this wieght more then they want me to, I'm sure , just wish they would stop asking ,

This is why I'm afraid to tell anyone. Ugh I'm so sorry. I don't know why people think our weight is their business... I don't ask people about their sex lives, their weight lives, what they ate, when they went to the dr. last, etc. I know they think they're helping but as you stated they are not! Can you tell them that? Can you help them see it through your eyes? Can you lie ;)? Why don't you have any fills yet, has it just not been long enough? Would it help to remember all the reasons you did this in the first place? I am sorry you're feeling discouraged... hang in there if you can!

How frustrating for you! I think people asking how much or if you've lost more are obnoxious. Can't they just say - you look great, hope you are getting used to your band. I feel like it is not anyone's business what I weigh or weighed. People don't really care about the surgery or band so maybe you can bore them with details! Tell them you have not had fills and have to actively diet until you feel full thrnstsrt detailing hour 4 oz meals :) that should get them to stop asking! It's worked for me. Good luck

Seem people thought that my wieght would fall off faster for some reason ' date=' si now when friends , family see me , they say have u lost any more wieght? I was 300lbs when band now 6 and a half weeks out , im down to only 271 lbs . When I have to say , no I havnt lost any more wieght , they seem disappointed , I beginning to feel like I'm letting them down , I'm stuck and the scales won't move , still have no fills , and am hungry a lot, I'm starting to feel that I really should check into getting this taking out and getting a bypass, I want to lose this wieght more then they want me to, I'm sure , just wish they would stop asking ,[/quote']

29 lbs is great! Congrats!

29 pounds is way more than I was down in 6 weeks! I was only down 13 the first month. You are doing amazing. When people ask you, just say....."Sure am!" and leave it at that!

I think its a natural question and they aren't trying to be rude. My bro-in-law had gastric a few years back and I could tell he was losing so i'd ask, "how much?" My sister does weight watchers and I ask her too. Not trying to be rude, just mostly striking up conversations. I in turn have been asked alot, and I've noticed the only time it bothers me is when theres no wieghtloss, so I'm embarassed but, thats, not their fault.

You are loosing really GREAT!!!! I wish I lost at that pace. I agree with previous poster. I wish I had the guts to ask really personal questions back. I was dieting and exercising preband and had lost about 100 pounds. I had an older woman yesterday ask me how much I had lost. She told me her daughter told her about a girl at the gym who had lost "So much weight". So I told her 170 pounds. They get so excited.

Kind of wish the gym had taken before picture, I might have been able to get some money out of this if they used me in Before and After advertising!

I know exactly how you feel, I actually posted something similar to this not to long ago.

I began to feel as if I were letting them down when my weight loss would be the same as it was when they had asked how much I had loss previously. Sometimes I wish people didn't know, because it is difficult enough for you to deal with how the weight is coming off without having to see peoples disappointment when it is not coming off as fast as they expected. But someone told me that you got banded for yourself and no one else, and a weight loss of 29 lbs is awesome and don't your forget it.

I know exActly how u feel people are expecting miracles and so was I :( I was banded on 5/10 have lost 21 lbs since my journey began. Sometimes I say why didn't I get the gastric and then I remember how life changing that would've been and I have a sister and some friends whom lost it really fast and now are overweight we have a magic tool that will help us loose without the drastic life change . I'm sure if we give it time we will be great stay positive .

I think we all need to remember that our weight didn't go on overnight and it will not fall off overnight. It is healthier to have it slide off slowly rather than dropped quickly. It is a lot for our bodies to adjust to and we are programmed to hang on to our weight so it takes some time for the body to adjust otherwise. Hang in there.... I have chosen to tell very few people about the surgery so I won't get all those questions.

29 lbs is AWESOME!!!! Remember you did this for YOU. I don't think people means to be rude. Most people are not educated about lapband surgery. They think our weight should just fall off over night. The band is not magic but a tool. Please do not let people frustrate you into getting gastric bypass. You are doing great.

you are being really hard on yourself! we are all in a big hurry to get rid of as much as we can as quick as we can! the band doesn't work that way. you are doing a great job with the weight you have lost!

I don't think anyone means to hurt your feelings but I understand how you feel. I think they really just want the best for you.

keep posting and "venting" your feelings, it will help!

So you've lost 29 lbs with NO fill ?!?! That's really great !! When do u get ur 1st fill.? Why would u be thinking about bypass when u haven't really adjusted to the band.? I think u should Celebrate ur 29 lb victory ! If ur weight loss has stopped try going for the fill.I'm sure u will continue to lose.I'm losing about a pound a week at this point ( 10 weeks) and I'm good with it

My doctor said that he doesn't believe in giving fills , that if he can , he rather not give any fills at all. I'm checking into another doctor that does believe in giving fills hoping that will help and the scales get moving again

My doctor said that he doesn't believe in giving fills ' date=' that if he can , he rather not give any fills at all. I'm checking into another doctor that does believe in giving fills hoping that will help and the scales get moving again[/quote']

I think it is a good idea to find a new doctor. The whole point of the band is to get fills and adjust the band - hence the fact that it is adjustable banding. Some doctors make no sense.

I always tell people - I don't weigh myself daily but I feel great and have more energy - when they ask how much I've lost. It is usually satisfies their curiosity without making me uncomfortable with specifics.

You have done great and good luck getting a new doc.