Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where in San Diego have you gone? I'm currently in the process of being approved thru my insurence to be banded. I have several succes stories in friends with the band, and I'm going to their doctor! Dr Khalil, at the the San Diego gastric banding center. He's an excellent doctor, will sit and talk to you for hours if you need it. My first office visit I was seen by the psychiatrist, dietician, and had a physical. Ive had a sleep apnea test and found out I do have sleep apnea, so I'm being fitted for a machine tonight! Next Friday the 8th I have my upper GI and blood work and ultra sound...it's a Roller coaster of emotions for sure! Im new to this too and had no idea what to expect with all these visits! But they walk you thru them and it's ganna be fine :) I hope everything works out.

Sorry *its technically called Ambulatory care medical center

Check out this chart it gives the pros and cons of all 3 surgeries.this company does band and sleeve and I've food it to be the least biased of comparisons.I know this is a really togh decision.you will have a lot of support here.Good luck !!

http://www.trueresults.com/weight-loss-surgeries

I've attended orientations through Pacific Bariatric, Sharp memorial bariatric and UCSD. During my consultation next week, I'm sure they will assist with my decision between lap band or the sleeve. I just want what will work for me and gives me the greates success in weight loss. Thanks all that commented. I appreciate your support and advice.

I went for the lapbnd instead of the drastic alternative, however after 2 months of having an infection at the main incision site, the port line coming out the site, I had to have another surgery and the band had eroded through my stomach. Needless to say the band was removed and my only option was to choose the bypass. I decided this was Gods way of saying you can do it on your own. A friend of mine choose the bypass a nearly died. She as slowly recovered and looks good weight wise but not back to normal yet. It is a difficult decision I've learn to accept me of me.

I'm sure that the people who have a heart pacemaker are glad they have that "device" in their systems. That being said, we are all lucky in this day and age we do have several choices for weight loss surgery. The band has done everything for me that it was supposed to do. That does not mean it works for everyone. The thought of cutting a major organ was not appealing to me either. The one thing that I like about the band is the band never stretches and the stoma (opening) where the band goes around stays small, which regulates the fullness you feel and the limited amount of food you can eat. The band can also be adjusted. No other surgery has this wonderful feature. The best advice I can give you is do your research. Everyone is different and we choose different surgeries for different reasons. Good luck.

Check out this chart it gives the pros and cons of all 3 surgeries.this company does band and sleeve and I've food it to be the least biased of comparisons.I know this is a really togh decision.you will have a lot of support here.Good luck !!

http://www.trueresults.com/weight-loss-surgeries

Heh slip of the tongue..."food it"

First of all, you have to be sure. It doesn't matter what kind of experience we have had. I am so happy with my decision, I was so uncomfortable all the time.

This has helped me physically, emotionally and spiritually. I did not like myself at all, I always felt like I could not succeed and was not worthy. I do not feel that way today.

Don't kid yourself with thinking that, that "new" diet plan will do it for you. But you have to work on this program, it is not a miracle. We all try to follow the "rules" set by our docs. The reward (weight loss) far outweighs any of the food I thought I could not live without!

Malia247, I am also your age and started off January 25 of this year at the same weight as yourself. This is a big choice for anyone, but for myself I am absolutely glad I did it. My joints, blood pressure, high cholesterol and pre -diabetes is what was my deciding factor. Since then I have lost 47# in a little over 4 months. I am no longer taking my cholesterol meds and I have been taken off one of the two BP pills I was taking and it looks as of next week, she may be taking me off of that one to.YAY :P As far as taking Vitamins for the rest of your life, that should not be a deciding factor. As we get older, I have been told that regardless of surgery, vitamins are a good thing to help anyone, especially as we get older. It's not just an over weight thing. The only issue I have had with the band is neck and shoulder pain and at first, come to find out it was due to pinched nerves in my neck from laying weird in surgery, mor than likely. The band at first was a bit of a nuicence, but now I don't even notice it's there most of the time honestly. To be quite honest, I'm sure I could have lost more than 47 so far, but I have had a pinched nerve in my foot and neck that have slowed me down some, but I do still walk or hike a few days a week and hopefully here soon I can do more. But then again I feel really good right now about my loss and my joint pain is so much better. No regrets at all. As far as the band or the sleeve. I have been told their are way more restrictions with the sleeve. Not always a good thing. It should be more of a learning tool than force or you will fall right back into bad habits because it's to hard. It took about 3 fills to get me to where I am comfortable and when it is really hot outside my band seems to be more restrictive on it's own, but that are things that are different for everyone. You will learn to know your band, that was something that I didn't quite understand until just recently. Also, I have been told that San Diego has some of the best Lap Band surgions around, you will be in good hands and unlike my area where surgeons and info is kinda limited, my RN told me that when I recently went out there on vacation, I would have no problem finding a doctor who could help me if I had a problem with my band. That is really good to know.

Well good luck to you :P

It took 2 years of reading this forum, and about 10-15 years of diets, weight loss plans, diet doctors, etc. before I actually attended a seminar. Once I attended the seminar (after skipping out on about 10 appts I'd scheduled over the years), I knew this is what I wanted. I researched them all and found ONE that I was confident in. You may find that another surgery is a better fit for YOU, but YOU need to decide that. Please don't let someone else do it for you. By the time I started my journey, I also had to do six months of doctors visits for my insurance to cover it. I know that seems like a long time but I'm so glad I did it. the morning I went in for surgery I was 200% mentally ready for this and EXCITED! I have not had ONE day or minute of regret. I'm about 7 months out, almost 50lbs down; seems slow, but I'm happy as it's a steady downward tick. Only about 30lbs till goal and I'm loving my life and decision. Do this for you and make the decision on which surgery you are happy with getting and living with. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU.