Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've attended several bariatric orientations in San Diego and still contemplating weight loss surgery. I am scared of the thought of having a device in my system but having a big portion of my stomach cut is even more scary as once it's gone I can't get it back. I'm new on the forum and have been a mater dieter since college. I'm 42, 4'11 and a half and weigh 225lbs. I have lots of joint pain, hip arthritis and Achilles tendonitis and have a hard time walking without much pain. I have mild sleep apnea and asthma with a BMI of 43. My doctor referred me to receive a consultation and I am scheduled to see the team of bariatric personnel which includes a dietician, psychologist and the surgeon. I am

really struggling with whether to get the lap band or sleeve? I'm leaning toward the sleeve as exercise is limited to non weight bearing exercises due to joint issues and I am not sure if the band will work better fir me than the sleeve? My family, friends and spouse are scared for me to get any surgery but they are encouraging the band because in their minds it's the least invasive. My mother doesnt want me to do surgery and prefers i try one more attempt at a liquid diet or trying it on my own. I just know i'm miserable and need to do something. I was leaning towards the sleeve but hate the idea of my organs being removed and can't get it back. My spouse is just very svated for me and fears i'll have to take Vitamins the rest of my life. Honestly weight loss surgery is scary period! But my quality of life is suffering and I know trying to do weight loss on my own has not been successful. Any advice for me on what I should do? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Go for it! I've read so many success stories on it and it gave me confidence in where my life could be. I am scheduled to have the lapband on 6/5 and honestly for the first time in my life I'm confident that this will work, I'm confident that a healthy life is ahead of me, and I'm confident that my future will be brighter because of this surgery. I'm scared don't get me wrong, because surgery is scary period but I also know that it's aa surgery that isn't as uncommon as it once was and I have every faith in the fact that it will be worth it!

Thanks for the support and vote of confidence! My consultation is scheduled for June 6 do let me know how things go for you!

I went to six seminars (3 years) before I decided to do it. Oh how I wish I had done it 3 years earlier. You'll be amazed at how quickly the joint pain gets better!

I would go in and sit down with the bariatric team and talk through the different surgery options. I got the band due to it being less invasive and not removing any of my anatomy. I figured if it did not work, then I could consider other options.

All surgeries require a large mental change to be successful. The thing that I like about the band is that if you start to slip back off the horse, you can get an adjustment and be good to go again. It does require monthly aftercare, whereas the other options are kind of a one stop shop.

The other options also promote faster weight loss, which for me was not really as important as it may be for some. I know that some diseases are "cured" for a larger percentage with the sleeve or bypass as well.

Do keep in mind that sometimes RNY or sleeve patients stretch their pouches and the only option available to them is getting a band... Carnie Wilson just did this recently.

Please feel free to wonder around the boards and read about the band. There are also links at the bottom of the page for the sister sites for the sleeve and bypass.

It is absolutely a big decision but one that I am so very much thrilled with. The problem with "trying those other diets" again is that you may have short term success, but thats it. With the band and proper after care and support you will be learning how to eat to live. Losing weight will be a natural consequence of changing to a healthier lifestyle. it is not a diet, you need to change your mindset. The other thing is, becareful about asking family and friends of there opinion, because they may just give it to you. And often times they do not have proper information, they are just telling you something based on there own fear. So take the time to sit down with all of the information you need and read everything and talk to doctors and make your own informed decision.

Bottom line is everything will fail, if you let it fail.

Good luck, (I love my band, by the way!)

I have the Band and I love it.... the sleeve was not around or I didn't know about it when I was banded 4 years ago. I love my band... but I would consider the sleeve because I hate the worrys of flipping, fills and unfills reflux when to tight.. the good thing about the band is you have control .. you know yourself and so be real honest with the team. Do NOt However let the opinions of family and friends sway you this is your body and your decision nice to have support but regrets for not doing something you really want no way...Yes we have to take Vitamins but before my band I took eight medications for high blood pressure and asthma and reflux and getting ready to need diabetic meds now I take nothing.. Good Luck to you

Thanks for the support and vote of confidence! My consultation is scheduled for June 6 do let me know how things go for you!

Good luck on your journey!

I'm getting banded on June 4th!

See if you can find a doctor doing band with plication. It sounds like the best of both worlds!!

By the way, another band lover here, but I wish I had gotten the plication, too!!

Thanks everyone for your support and advice. Yes it's a very big decision and i will allow the bariatric team to provide me with the best options that fit me best. I'm really looking forward to getting to my goal of losing 80-90 lbs. and know it will take some work. Thanks again all for sharing your personal lap band stories. I'm keeping open to the band and/or sleeve so I'll keep praying and researching what's best. Best wishes to all of you!!!

Thanks everyone for your support and advice. Yes it's a very big decision and i will allow the bariatric team to provide me with the best options that fit me best. I'm really looking forward to getting to my goal of losing 80-90 lbs. and know it will take some work. Thanks again all for sharing your personal lap band stories. I'm keeping open to the band and/or sleeve so I'll keep praying and researching what's best. Best wishes to all of you!!!

It is absolutely a big decision but one that I am so very much thrilled with. The problem with "trying those other diets" again is that you may have short term success' date=' but thats it. With the band and proper after care and support you will be learning how to eat to live. Losing weight will be a natural consequence of changing to a healthier lifestyle. it is not a diet, you need to change your mindset. The other thing is, becareful about asking family and friends of there opinion, because they may just give it to you. And often times they do not have proper information, they are just telling you something based on there own fear. So take the time to sit down with all of the information you need and read everything and talk to doctors and make your own informed decision.

Good luck, (I love my band, by the way!)[/quote']

HELLO JERSEY GIRL,

Im so excite. My orintation is this coming Tuesday, not sure as to what is going to happen, however, I know that I`m on my way... Can any one please tell me what happens within ordination?

Also, I`d like to thank EVERYONE for posting comments, I`ve learned so much and I`m prepared for this.... KEEP POSTINGS...

MyGalShirll

It is absolutely a big decision but one that I am so very much thrilled with. The problem with "trying those other diets" again is that you may have short term success' date=' but thats it. With the band and proper after care and support you will be learning how to eat to live. Losing weight will be a natural consequence of changing to a healthier lifestyle. it is not a diet, you need to change your mindset. The other thing is, becareful about asking family and friends of there opinion, because they may just give it to you. And often times they do not have proper information, they are just telling you something based on there own fear. So take the time to sit down with all of the information you need and read everything and talk to doctors and make your own informed decision.

HELLO JERSEY GIRL,

Im so excite. My orintation is this coming Tuesday, not sure as to what is going to happen, however, I know that I`m on my way... Can any one please tell me what happens within ordination?

Also, I`d like to thank EVERYONE for posting comments, I`ve learned so much and I`m prepared for this.... KEEP POSTINGS...

MyGalShirll

HELLO JERSEY GIRL,

MyGalShirll