Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Went to my doc today to get my letter of medical necessity. She told me that she didn't support me getting the lapband and that I needed gastric since I need to lose 100 pounds. She said that all of her patients who have had lapband lose 30-50 pounds max and that's not enough for me.

I told her that my surgeon supported me getting the sleeve, bypass or the band and he felt I could be successful at each. She then went on to say that she didn't think my ins would cover it because I don't have any comorbidities.

I am feeling so discouraged!

I've had my mind made up that the band is right for me and now she's made me doubt my ability to be successful.

I know the weight would come off faster in the beginning if I had the band, but I'm ok with slow and steady. I also think that the ongoing maintenance is key to success. You need to have fills to get and stay at the green zone and I get that.

Any words of advice?

I feel the band is a healthier choice as if need ur Fluid can b taken out for certain situation! Both my mother and aunt have lost over 100 lbs with the band! Its all willpower! Im personaly against the bypass for iv seen first hand the out come of it both good and bad! I hope this helps any! The band is great if you learn to use it properly and keep ip with it lol!

I know a gal at my job who had the bypass about 5 years ago and now she's WAY underweight and can't gain any back. She's a sweetheart but she looks like a skeleton with skin stretched over it. And she said she lost all her excess weight in 6 months.... that scares me because I don't want the excess skin hanging everywhere (I don't think she has that trouble, but who knows? I certainly didn't ask her....)

I think it's time to find a new PCP, one that will let you make your own choice which WLS is best for you.

For the record, I had over 200 pounds to lose when I had surgery almost 5 months ago. I've now lost 92 pounds so far. Obviously, your PCP doesn't know the facts because you CAN be successful with the band, even if you have lots to lose, as long as you're committed to working for it.

You need a new PCP that will support you!! Even if you did only lose 50 pounds, you would still be healthier! I think gastric bypass is downright SCARY!!!!

What is your BMI? Most insurance companies require a BMI of 40 or a BMI of 35 with comorbidities. If you haven't done so yet, I suggest having a sleep study done to test for sleep apnea. Most of us that are overweight also have sleep apnea and insurance companies consider it a comorbidity.

My PCP handed me the surgeons card and said you should check this out.

At first I didn't but I saved the card, it was about a year before I went to a seminar.

I now have the band thanks to my PCP.

My PCP suggested lap band over bypass because I have no gallbladder and my intestines and colon are frequently unhappy with me over the whole situation. I would suggest a call to your insurance company to ask what they cover. See if your PCP can order a sleep study and do some labs to check for anything else I. e. high glucose, insulin resistance, high cholesterol, thyroid issues. And then proceed from there.

My ins will cover me without any comorbidities. That is not an issue, she just said it as another reason to not support me. That's why I'm frustrated.

Get a new PCP. I knew when I started my journey that the person I had been seeing infrequently would not be supportive based on past interactions. I found someone else who supported my weight loss 100%. he also wanted to run blood tests to make sure I didn't have anything inhibiting my ability to lose weight and found out I had hypothyroidism. My other Dr knew that the thyroid was a problem in my family but never bothered to order a test for me.