Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got my lapband in 2008 and had it removed last month . i am very depressed and feel alone and angry . my band had moved and got erroted and badly effected . still having problems with infection and also i feel out of control with the food intake . ive gained 10 pounds so far and im terrified to gain everything i lost all back again. my highest was 268 i weigh 165 and my goal was 140 i never reached it . the closest was 155. i just want to talk to someone who understands. I live in winnipeg manitoba and my dr. mentioned gastic bypass but im not sure how invasive it is and i would like to think i could do this on my own but im really not sure. Nicole

Nicole,

I am just starting my journey (that sounds cheesy when I write it, doesn't it?), but I feel for you. I believe there are a few posters around who had to revise to something else, after having an erosion. Maybe taking a look around the complications forum found here:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/forum/70-lap-band-complications/

Good luck!

Nicole,

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Please don't beat yourself up over regaining weight. I had to say goodbye to my band 3 weeks ago and I've regained also. My band was removed because of a congenital problem with my esophagus that contraindicates the gastric band, so eventually (when my esophagus is sorted out) I hope to revise to the sleeve.

People often say that the band is the least invasive of bariatric surgeries, but let's face it. Any surgery that requires the patient to be anesthetized while a surgeon cuts holes in their abdomen, pokes instruments into those holes, and implants a medical device, is pretty invasive.

People also say that the band is good because it's removable. Well, that's true, but it doesn't mean that removing it is easy and safe. RNY is reversible, if need be, but that doesn't mean it's easy or safe. So I guess you have to choose the lesser of the evils.

I think we'd all like to say we can lose and maintain our weight on our own, but if we had a big enough problem that we qualified for weight loss surgery, it's not likely that another attempt to do it "on your own" is going to work longterm. On the other hand, presumably you've acquired some healthier habits since being banded, and can rely on those now, at least until you're healed and ready to consider a different surgery.

Good luck!

Best wishes to you both. I had revison on my band in October 2011. I have regaiend 15 lbs, and have been struggling ever since. But, now I have plateaued, so hopefully I can start loosing again. I have 5cc and surgeon will not fill further as he sees me in the "green zone" and anymore will not go down as proved to me with barium. He had to have me drink Water to get it to move. SO, I struggle along. Best wishes and keep in touch. Wish that I had any reassurance for you, tho. Karen

Have you considered the sleeve? I would do that before a bypass. A friend is ten yrs out in bypass and they're starting to find serious health issues. Her dr was top dr at Nyu they're starting to do reversals now. But I had my band removed last yr because of some issues. Ins approved either band sleeve or bypass. Bypass for me was never an option. But I k we going in depending on what new dr found I coul end up w sleeve. Luckily he did the band. But bright has had great success w sleeve. Good luck. Oh when band was out I gained about half of my weight back because now I could eat without throwing up. Good luck

I was banded in 09 and am having my band removed in Sept. my surgeon said it barely slipped but my reflux was so bad they had to take out most of the Fluid. I have already gained some weight and I have been strict on WW trying to maintain. Hoping to have the sleeve in November. I am angry too and fear having it out because of the weight gain. My self esteem is soo low right now it's depressing. Nicole I hope you start to feel better. You aren't alone :).

My daughter has reflux with her band also but it's such a small amount of fill that had to be removed to ease the reflux. My neighbor has the sleeve and it was only ever her choice. She wasn't a great dieter. It was tough without my band because I had basically thrown up for six months. So once band was out I was on a frenzy eating. But it sounds like you're starting off right mentally. Good luck and it will all be good

I too am so sorry for what you're going through. I was banded 2008 and de-banded 2011 due to severe erosion. They had found the band was over 80% inside my stomach and causing excruciating pain, rightfully so.

I've been keeping up with the recent news of Allergan's subpeona from the Health and Human Services Dept here in the US. Btw, Reuters and Bloomberg News are great sites for info on the band.

I hate to say it but I believe the FDA will do a forced recall on this product which will result in a massive class-action lawsuit.

Nicole, I'm sorry for what you're going through! But you're soooo close to your goal, do you think you really need another procedure? If you don't focus on the number on the scale, are you happy with your body? You've done amazing....I don't know. I guess I can understand wanting something to stop you from overeating but it seems so drastic to me. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I am thinking of having my lapband removed. Blame myself for the failure. I have not lost one pound. The procedure was done in 2008. I am so fearful that once the band is removed I will gain even more weight. Does anyone know if this is usually the case? Looking for guidance.

I am thinking of having my lapband removed. Blame myself for the failure. I have not lost one pound. The procedure was done in 2008. I am so fearful that once the band is removed I will gain even more weight. Does anyone know if this is usually the case? Looking for guidance.

I know a number of people who've had their bands removed due to complications (me included) and all of them regained weight.

Why do you want your band removed? I mean, is there a medical reason to remove it? Or are you just afraid that leaving it in there will cause you problems in the future?