Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting On Real Food

I am so excited that today I get to start on real food, but as i have read other people's posts I have become a bit scared. I understand that we are to really focus on getting Protein first then have some fruits and veggies. Ok...that sounds doable, but...where does one find how much protein a piece of meat has....especially if I am only eating about a cup total? I have started to make a point of looking at and reading packaging, but when I go to the freezer and pull out a package of vension, chicken or pork I have no idea how much protein there is (my husband is a hunter and the meat is packaged by a processing place). I would appreciate any help here that people can offer.

Thanks

Google/go on the internet and do a search for "Protein content for venison" or "Protein content for meats" and etc.

My dietician says 3 oz of lean Protein is equal to 20gms. I had my first bite of real food this morning after being banded and I was a bit scared also- I had one scrambled egg. It was a little harder that I thought. I did not chew the first two bites as well as I think I should have. It did not get stuck, just an gassy feeling. I was so excited to have solid food for the first time in 11 days that I sort of inhaled it. From the 3rd bite, I counted how many times a chewed it and that made a big difference and I took my time eating the rest. But, after just one egg, I was full.

My doctor also says 3 oz off Protein. FYI some people have issues with eggs. I don't though I also tend to eat egg whites not the whole egg (Something I have'nt eating ine YEARS is Buttered toasted spread with well cooked egg yolk. Oh my head!)

I get to start on solid food tomorrow, and I am so scared. I have been on liquid and soft foods since my surgery 3 weeks ago, and on Atkins diet for 2 weeks pre-op and want to eat real food, but I am nervous about what it's going to be like. I just got my first fill yesterday, and they made me drink some Water at the clinic before I left to make sure it would stay down, and it felt weird, kind of hurt in the chest area for the first few drinks. After that, I have been drinking liquids with no problem. Today, I'm on soft foods and tomorrow I start solids.

Let me know how you do on your fist day of solids.

Good luck

I can't really eat scrambeled eggs, - even if I chew, the bite size gets me every time because they really don't break down that much with chewing. Anyway, just make sure that you keep your bite sizes to the size of the tip of your little finger, and chew 25-30 times each bite. I also had to keep a timer or used an app on my phone to take about 60 to 90 seconds between bites. Eating too fast can cause issues too. I found that 90 seconds was a good time interval with most anything solid inbetween bites. You can google how much Protein is in ___ and should be able to find pretty reliable information. Rule of thumb is that most beef cuts are about 7 grams of protein per ounce. A 4oz hamburger patty has 28 grams of protein. A chicken breast 3.5 oz has 30 grams of protein, Fish 3.5 oz has 22 grams. Venison 3 oz is 20 grams of protein.

...just make sure that you keep your bite sizes to the size of the tip of your little finger' date=' and chew 25-30 times each bite. I also had to keep a timer or used an app on my phone to take about 60 to 90 seconds between bites. Eating too fast can cause issues too. I found that 90 seconds was a good time interval with most anything solid inbetween bites. [/quote']

I really like this advice! Especially the comment about bite size.

I know my biggest issues are the size of my bites and how little I chew, so I'm trying to become more conscious of these things and practicing pre-surgery.

This may help Protien rich foods

The following have 7-8 grams of Protein each:

*1 oz cooked chicken, turkey,fish, lean meats

* 1/4 Water packed tuna, salmon

* 1 whole egg or 2 egg whites

*1/4 cup egg substitute

*1/4 cup cottage cheese

* 1/2 cup Beans, lentils, soybeans

* 1/2 cup tofu

* 2 tablespoons natural or low-fat nut butter

* 1/4 cup nuts (almonds, cashews, peanuts, pecans, soynuts, walnuts

* 1 cup mile or soy milk

* 1 cup yogurt

* 1 cup low-fat cheese

I get to start on solid food tomorrow, and I am so scared. I have been on liquid and soft foods since my surgery 3 weeks ago, and on Atkins diet for 2 weeks pre-op and want to eat real food, but I am nervous about what it's going to be like. I just got my first fill yesterday, and they made me drink some Water at the clinic before I left to make sure it would stay down, and it felt weird, kind of hurt in the chest area for the first few drinks. After that, I have been drinking liquids with no problem. Today, I'm on soft foods and tomorrow I start solids.

Let me know how you do on your fist day of solids.

Good luck

I have done pretty well...and it sure did taste better than the mushies...so good to chew!!!! I have yet to have a fill so I am pretty much unrestricted. I need to really remember to chew and wait between bites.

I can't really eat scrambeled eggs,- even if I chew, the bite size gets me every time because they really don't break down that much with chewing. Anyway, just make sure that you keep your bite sizes to the size of the tip of your little finger, and chew 25-30 times each bite. I also had to keep a timer or used an app on my phone to take about 60 to 90 seconds between bites. Eating too fast can cause issues too. I found that 90 seconds was a good time interval with most anything solid inbetween bites. You can google how much Protein is in ___ and should be able to find pretty reliable information. Rule of thumb is that most beef cuts are about 7 grams of Protein per ounce. A 4oz hamburger patty has 28 grams of protein. A chicken breast 3.5 oz has 30 grams of protein, Fish 3.5 oz has 22 grams. Venison 3 oz is 20 grams of protein.

Thanks for this info. I don't have one of those apps for my phone so i guess I will just get to use a timer...but whatever works...right!!!!

My dietician says 3 oz of lean Protein is equal to 20gms. I had my first bite of real food this morning after being banded and I was a bit scared also- I had one scrambled egg. It was a little harder that I thought. I did not chew the first two bites as well as I think I should have. It did not get stuck, just an gassy feeling. I was so excited to have solid food for the first time in 11 days that I sort of inhaled it. From the 3rd bite, I counted how many times a chewed it and that made a big difference and I took my time eating the rest. But, after just one egg, I was full.

I have a really hard time waiting between bites when I eat eggs...they get c hold and icky. I eat 3 eggs for breakfast...but I have not had any fills yet so I can eat a bit more...and it does keep me full until about 10:00. I mix some salsa with the eggs to make them moist.