Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need advice hhheeelllpppp

Hi Im on my liquid diet and suppose to have surgery on Thursday, Im getting scared now and do not know if i want to do it.....I have researched it and im not scared of the way i will have to eat .....I am scared of the surgery itself......and how the lapband will affect my body......I woulld really like to know does every one on here like their lapband and how bad was the surgery??????/

Everyone's experience has varied... we have some that sailed through surgery, some that took weeks to recover. Some that love their band, some that hate it. Some that have lost their band, some still have it after 5 years.

For myself, I'm still new... almost to 1 month banded. My husband sailed through his surgery. I took 2 weeks to recover. **shrug** They tell me not to compare myself to him. :)

I'd do it again... the surgery wasn't that bad. (See! It's already fading!) I already have some restriction (he has zero).

Everyone's unique, but for me, when I got scared, I started listing the reasons why I want to do it. I listed the cons to, but that list was MUCH shorter.

Good luck!!

I'm so sorry that you're scared. But, once you have the surgery, you'll probably realize that your fears were unfounded. Having lap band surgery was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I'm extremely happy with my band and my progress thus far. I hope you get over your fear very soon. Good luck!! :)

I guess speaking from someone who has had many surgeries growing up, this was the most easiest one I have ever experienced..Im one of the lucky ones, I had no complications at all...a little swelling afterwards but no pain, no gas, nothing...oh yeah, the only thing I did get nauseated after the surgery due to the anthesia...when I had my surgery I got to chose to stay overnight, I dont know if that makes a difference but it made me more secure the next day when I got to go home, thanks to my wonderful nurses at Park Plaza Hospital!!.my scars are very very tiny and healed extremely well, infact Dr. Spivak's nurse complimented on them yesterday when I went for my fill.

To me the hardest thing is changing your lifestyle rather than the surgery, but we are all different. I wish you all the best, and think of how far you have come and will go after the procedure!!

Good Luck.

I was the same way... I wasn't scared of the eating, just the surgery part.

So far, so good with my band, I'm happy I had the procedure. I hurt when I woke up after surgery (the gas), but they kept pumping me with pain meds. By the 3rd day I wasn't taking pain meds anymore........ was it worth it... so far... YES!!!

You'll be okay!!

I don't know if it helps but I thought the surgery was a breeze. The day went by great no problems no pain. The next few days on the other hand I had some gas pain and some soreness but really that was minor in comparison to some weight related foot pain or knee pain I've had in the past.

What I'm trying to "inarticulately" say is that pain is relative to each individual so no one can predict your response to the surgery. We can only relate our own stories and either inspire or discourage you.

<o:p> </o:p>

To me – it will be worth it.

Thank you for the replies i am getting.....Im going to go through with it im sure but im just scared of things like erosion and vomiting........I dont have health insurance so i dont want complications has anyone had any serious complications?

Hi Lenay, I just had my surgery on 2/13 all of my pain is gone now except occassionally my port area acts up. I had my postop visit this past Wednesday and they explained to me that area will be sore for a while because it's the area they do most of the work from. The area is just under my left side ribs. Now that I know what it's from I understand it and realize it's just going to take time for that area to heal from the deep bruising. Like people here have said everyone is different. Definately give yourself some time to take it easy after the surgery, follow through with your docs directions and you'll do just fine. As far as erosion and vomiting....give your doc's office a call and let them know your concerns. They'll help you through that. There are medications to help stop you from vomiting and your worries about erosion...ask your doc how many cases he/she has had. That will give you what you need to make your final decision :) Another thing, especially right after your surgery, you'll have days where you're questioning what the heck you did to yourself. Again, that's natural too. I went through that a few times as well but it has alot to do with the anesthesia leaving your body and you being tired. I'm on my 19th day post-op and I'm already loving my band. I feel great, I'm not starving and I finally feel like I've gained some control over my weight.

Best wishes with your surgery!

Peppermint Water that will sort out wind pain when you awaken and walk.I found the pain to be not to bad..I remeber spitting it at my girlfriend reminding her that she didn't tell me that it was going to hurt.Silly fool I was but we laughed so the pain wasn't too bad.It is more of a discomfort and a bit sore like you have banged yourself into the corner of a table hard.That would best dicribe the pain to my best ability.So you will be right do as you are told and not over do things and walk walk walk for some reason it seems to work.Good luck

Unlike a diet, you cant cheat, you cant go off the band for a day like you can with a diet. If food is you best friend like it was for me, then you will be soon losing a friend. The band is absolute. It doesnt give in, it doesnt let you eat large quantities, and it is very unforgiving. If you screw up, it will punish you with much pain and discomfort and then you will learn not to screw up. Even tho the band can be removed, it is more appropriate to have the mindset that you will never be the same again.

That being said, the surgery was a blast for me. I loved it. The drugs they gave me really made me feel great. For me the surgery was the best part. I never felt surgery related pain except for some mild soreness. The difficult part will be the life changes that you will have to make. The good news it that those life changes wont require will power. The band will enforce its will upon you and you will give in to it after some pain and discomfort over and over from screwing up. After you learn that which the band will teach you, then things will be better. In summary, the surgery is the easiest part, enjoy it. I know I did.