Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I will still have a sip of soda vey now and then. BUT, I have found that it just doesnt taste as good as I remembered. I drink alot of green tea, crystal light, and Water now.

Brlgrl, why are you not allowed to drink from a straw? I drink ALL drinks from a straw and never had a problem. I even have a 32oz cup at home that has a lid and straw that I use for 'my' cup.I have not heard anything about no straws. I

My clinic also say no straws and no gum. At my pre op nutrition appt she told us about a patient complaining about some of her problems while she was chewing gum (she also used a straw). Once she stopped the gum and the straw her problems went away.

My nutritionist also said since there is no real "standard of care" for lap band patients at this time we will hear and read a lot of different recommendations. My thoughts are follow your doctors orders, then they can't blame you if something isn't going as expected. lol

If your doctors directions don't seem to be working for you, look around on here. I would say go with what seems to be the most conservative advice and see if that works better for you.

I have been really craving diet soda too!! I have been too scared to drink any because I had my first fill 2 weeks ago, but I have heard that you can drink a little as long as you let the fizz out and sip slowly. Probably best to avoid it though... be strong my friend!!

When I was unemployed I decided spending $2.50 on a soda wasn't worth it when eating out. I would however buy .99 drinks at Cumberland Farms. I went through Patches where I would buy 2 liters for home. I did drink soda right up to surgery.

Post op I have not had soda since 8/11/10. The only time I had a really intense craving was one day in Walmart. I was waiting in line and someone opened the soda fridge. That sound just set me off. I wanted a Diet Pepsi sooooooo bad. I passed though.

I'll admit it...I drank a dt. coke this morning. I got one from McDonalds and I brought along an extra cup since we aren't to use a straw. I poured it into the cup and let it sit for a while before I started drinking...to let the carbonation "out". To be very honest...it wasn't that great. I don't drink coffee or hot tea and I needed a jolt of caffine this morning...but to be really honest...it wasn't that great at all. If I do it again it will be only becuase I need that jolt of caffine and it will only be a couple sips because flat soda is really yucky!!!!

Why can't you drink from a straw? I was banded in 2008 and haven't had any sodas since. Ive tried one before like a year ago and it was disgusting!!!! All I drink and all I grave is Water. But I always drink out of a straw and haven't heard that drinking out of a straw is bad.

So why is it bad?

Why can't you drink from a straw? I was banded in 2008 and haven't had any sodas since. Ive tried one before like a year ago and it was disgusting!!!! All I drink and all I grave is Water. But I always drink out of a straw and haven't heard that drinking out of a straw is bad.

So why is it bad?

I was told not to drink from a straw because it causes air to get into the stomach which will cause gas...which we know is awful. I am an avid straw user and have had to work hard not to use a straw becuase I can feel the extra, unwanted air in my belly...which is so not comfortable.

Don't do it!!!!!! Be strong. One day I had that craving I drive to burner king and ordered a coke icee (frozen) its bit as carbonated. Has a few bites and threw it away....as close to soda I could get.

This thread scares me so much. I know I can't have any soda after surgery but honestly it is the one thing that I am the saddest to give up. I hope I don't miss it horribly forever after this. But it is a sacrifice I am willing to make.

This thread scares me so much. I know I can't have any soda after surgery but honestly it is the one thing that I am the saddest to give up. I hope I don't miss it horribly forever after this. But it is a sacrifice I am willing to make.

Me too. I love my diet coke, but I am trying to switch to ice tea!

Oh my, I've been drinking soda for years. Well, at least since I got banded in 2010. I like a diet 7-up with gin. Or whipped vodka with diet root beer. Only when I have alcohol. I do stir it around and get a lot of the carbonation out. I haven't had any issues. What would I look for? I do have a lot of reflux. But, I have that regardless of whether I've had any soda.

I have braces so I always use a straw because my teeth have been so sensitive. I also chew sugar free gum. Soda I just gave up I loved it but it's just bad for u bad for weight loss and the band try crystal light on ice. It's worth it!

So we can't chew gum??? Did i miss something???

Gum they say creates air in your tummy... Kinda like drinking through a straw. I would keep both to a minimum initially and follow drs orders but eventually down the road you should be able to chew gum. Remember' date=' gum carries 5 calories per stick so be sure to include in your caloric intake...

weight.png

omg lately i have been wanting a soda soooooooo bad' date='i am going thru withdrawl,for a month and a half i havent wanted 1 but for 3 days i have been dying for 1 :( [/quote']

Try coke zero or fanta orange zero, they don't taste like diet and have less carbonation, also pour it over ice, it releases a lot of the gas

I think everyone is different. I can drink soda just fine. But its always diet or that Dr. Pepper 10. I have always been very upfront with my Dr. I talked to her last fill and asked her the soda question. She said she would prefer if I didn't because it stretches the pouch so I could eat more. But I usually only drink a soda when I have a sweet carving and she said then that she would prefer I drink the soda than eat the sweet.

Oh goodness I made the mistake of drinking soda about a year ago, and i vowed that I would never drink another carbonated drink again in my life. It was the most painful thing ever. Needless to say....I learned my lesson.