Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Days Post Op Liquid Diet Is Not Enough! Suggestions

I was just banded on May 3rd and am healing well. I don't have much discomfort except near the incisions and experiencing some gas. While I know we are recommended to stick with a liquid diet only I called the nutritionist the day after my surgery bc no matter how much broth, Jello, Popsicles and Protein liquids I was consuming I had no energy and still remained hungry. I know it sounds quite premature to call her after 24 hrs post op crying bout hunger but its a very new feeling! She suggested more protein, try shakes but that's it. This wknd I just added a little puréed Soups and hummus. I don't have any discomfort swallowing these foods such as nausea but I can feel the food going down to my esophagus and theres a bit of discomfort in that respect, which in turn causes gas. Though I eat and get full quickly (positive), I get hungry about every 2-3 hours...fm what I've read in other posts so far sounds like I need to increase protein ie shakes etc to curb the hunger and always more Water.. Right now I'm drinking Isopure and EAS shakes throughout the day. Another positive is that so far I'm not craving the heavier foods ie steak or burgers nor sugary foods.. And dairy seems quite daunting to try and consume.

What have you guys done to get through the first week to stick with liquids?

I have my follow up appt this fri and thought I wb getting my first adj that day but after some reading that doesn't seem likely. I'm anxious to not work backwards, my body is quite resistant to weight loss due to PCOS, so I'm quite nervous.

When will I know it's time for my first adj? How long after surgery did you wait to get your first adj?

I know I must be patient and I'm sure I will have many questions answered at my consult at weeks end but I thought I knew what to,expect and after joining this community an hr go I realize I have a ways to go to be educated!

Hello, I can totally relate to how you feel. I am 24 days post op and I am feeling so hungry it isn't even funny and I don't go for my first fill till May 30th ugh. As for the liquid diet what I did was below hope this helps.

Cream of wheat with 1% milk

Thinned mashed potatoes ( you can make home made or got to KFC and get theirs.)

Creamed Soups made with nonfat or 1% milk

Thinned sugar free yogurt

sugar free popsicles.

I would up your Protein to 12 Fl oz of Water if you can. It will help a lot. Hope everything works out for you. :)

well I have been on a liq diet and puree for almost 4 weeks, I have been hungry It's hard and counting every calorie... I see the Doc on Wed. and have my first fill on the 21st. I know I need a fill because I get hungry to often but I have been getting in tune with my body, I feel the drank or puree go down as well I do have some gas but I'm battling Constipation and trying to get that under control. I can't wait for Tue. then I can have steamed vegies, tuna and scrambled eggs going to be happy camper

well I have been on a liq diet and puree for almost 4 weeks, I have been hungry It's hard and counting every calorie... I see the Doc on Wed. and have my first fill on the 21st. I know I need a fill because I get hungry to often but I have been getting in tune with my body, I feel the drank or puree go down as well I do have some gas but I'm battling Constipation and trying to get that under control. I can't wait for Tue. then I can have steamed vegies, tuna and scrambled eggs going to be happy camper

I'm really happy with myself for sticking with the program .not cheating...

I was just banded on May 3rd and am healing well. I don't have much discomfort except near the incisions and experiencing some gas. While I know we are recommended to stick with a liquid diet only I called the nutritionist the day after my surgery bc no matter how much broth, Jello, Popsicles and Protein liquids I was consuming I had no energy and still remained hungry. I know it sounds quite premature to call her after 24 hrs post op crying bout hunger but its a very new feeling! She suggested more Protein, try shakes but that's it. This wknd I just added a little puréed Soups and hummus. I don't have any discomfort swallowing these foods such as nausea but I can feel the food going down to my esophagus and theres a bit of discomfort in that respect, which in turn causes gas. Though I eat and get full quickly (positive), I get hungry about every 2-3 hours...fm what I've read in other posts so far sounds like I need to increase protein ie shakes etc to curb the hunger and always more Water.. Right now I'm drinking Isopure and EAS shakes throughout the day. Another positive is that so far I'm not craving the heavier foods ie steak or burgers nor sugary foods.. And dairy seems quite daunting to try and consume.

What have you guys done to get through the first week to stick with liquids?

I have my follow up appt this fri and thought I wb getting my first adj that day but after some reading that doesn't seem likely. I'm anxious to not work backwards, my body is quite resistant to weight loss due to PCOS, so I'm quite nervous.

When will I know it's time for my first adj? How long after surgery did you wait to get your first adj?

I know I must be patient and I'm sure I will have many questions answered at my consult at weeks end but I thought I knew what to,expect and after joining this community an hr go I realize I have a ways to go to be educated!

youve come to the right forum to get all you know. im still newly banded, about seven weeks now. this period you are going through is called "band hell'' and you really have to just bite the bullet. lol. Of paramount importance is your healing... thats no. one .. first priority. im afraid there is discomfort from hunger through the next week or couple of weeks for you. keep the Protein Drink up, drinks HEAPS of water...

i have a savoury tooth, not a sweet tooth so what i did, with my home made soups, i put in a little salsa.. mild salsa. i also used garlic powder to help with the flavour. What i couldnt get in substance i tried to get in flavour so i made it intense flavour as much as i could cope with. this may not work for you... i dont know. im just sharing what got me through it all. Good luck to you..

Just remind yourself that this is a phase, a temporary stage and that you will get through it. Look forward to coming out the other end with the satisfaction of knowing that you achieved it and it will give you motivation to move onto the next phase of being a bandster. Have patience, you haven't chosen the easy route and you know that you will have to work for your results but that they will definitely be worth it!

I survived with sugar free popsicles and bahama Bucks thin ice sno cones. Gave me some variety and counted as my Water. Try different Proteins also because I have some that taste like lemonade, razzberry, and grape or some that taste like Pina Colada or Orange Dreamsicle. It helps to have that variety.

I survived with sugar free popsicles and bahama Bucks thin ice sno cones. Gave me some variety and counted as my Water. Try different Proteins also because I have some that taste like lemonade' date=' razzberry, and grape or some that taste like Pina Colada or Orange Dreamsicle. It helps to have that variety.[/quote']

Thanks to everyone for their responses! I will do my best and excercise as much patience as possible. shuckybucky what brand of Proteins do you have for piña colada and orange dreamsicle? Sounds tasty!

Give yourself some force! I made a spinach and chicken Soup with onions, filter it, and added done fat free cream. It was awesome and liquid :)

Please follow your doctor's orders! You can do damage to your stomach eating mushies or solids too soon. Your doctor SEWED your stomach around the band to keep it in place. You do not want your stomach churning to digest food. To help with hunger: drink 8 oz of stock first (I added Mrs. Dash salt free chicken flavored spice before heating), wait as long as you can and then have a Protein Shake. Make sure the shake has at least 20 g of Protein and less then 200 cal. It is better for you to eat the foods your doctor has approved more often then to to eat mushies or solids.

I buy Jay Robb whey Protein mix and they have several flavors and are really good. I like to mix mine with milk so thats extra protein. They have 220 calories/50protein/2carbs when made with 2 scoops and Water. The fruity flavored ones are great for the summer because they are more like a Crystal light drink and have a big varity of flavors and are distributed by the weight loss zone (I am sure you can google them because I lot of different places sell them). They have 140 calories/2carbs/30protein for 2 packs mixed with 16ounces of water. The Jay Robb was recommended by my band surgeon Dr.Smith and I buy it from Sunflower Shoppes when go to Dallas or you can find places to order it online. The Weight Loss Zone drinks were recommended by my band doctor that I see locally (for fills and unfills) and they are delicious!! They have coffee ones, hot chocolate ones, grape,cran-grape,peach mango, pineapple, pineapple orange, strawberry kiwi, wild berry, orangeade, lemonade, lemon razzy, and grapefruit. I mix them in the 16.8 ounce water bottles and throw them in my work bag or gym bag for the day. If I am extra hungry one day (like around my cycle) then I drink an extra drink. You are going to be drinking protein for the rest of your life so find some that you really like not just tolerate. My husband has decided to lose weight (BIG step for him) and is using Protein Shakes and he LOVES the ones from weight loss zone. He bought Herbalife and tolerated it but it got old quick and I had him try mine. If you need any more info or pictures just let me know but if you like fruit flavored drinks or chrystal light then you will like these. If you are in the mood for something thicker then Jay Robb is good.

Please follow your doctor's orders! You can do damage to your stomach eating mushies or solids too soon. Your doctor SEWED your stomach around the band to keep it in place. You do not want your stomach churning to digest food. To help with hunger: drink 8 oz of stock first (I added Mrs. Dash salt free chicken flavored spice before heating), wait as long as you can and then have a Protein shake. Make sure the shake has at least 20 g of Protein and less then 200 cal. It is better for you to eat the foods your doctor has approved more often then to to eat mushies or solids.

This exactly. You do not want your stomach to grind AT ALL right now. That is the point of the post-op liquid diets. To allow the band to heal into place without ripping the stitches. It sucks, but really, you didn't go through all this just to possibly lose your band because you are hungry. :( I understand, I woke from the anesthesia hungry. When my surgeon called at 3 days post-op, I told him I was ready to eat my dog. Lucky for my dog he was much younger then and moved must faster than I.

Please stick to your surgeon's plan for you. It sucks, but it is best for you.

I had my surgery May 3rd as well. I drink Protein shakes, have sugar free pudding, liquid mashed potatoes and sugar free Popsicles. It is hard but I just keep saying it will be worth it in the end. Good luck and I am here if you want to exchange info and talk.

Courtney

I had my surgery May 3rd as well. I drink Protein shakes, have sugar free pudding, liquid mashed potatoes and sugar free Popsicles. It is hard but I just keep saying it will be worth it in the end. Good luck and I am here if you want to exchange info and talk.

Courtney

That reminds me... you can blend just about anything to a liquid. I rememer blending some spaghetti o's. Too bad it tasted just like Tomato Soup and I hate tomato soup...lol..... My doctor had no restriction other then liquid so yogurt, blended cottage cheese,soups, etc.

I buy Jay Robb whey Protein mix and they have several flavors and are really good. I like to mix mine with milk so thats extra Protein. They have 220 calories/50protein/2carbs when made with 2 scoops and Water. The fruity flavored ones are great for the summer because they are more like a Crystal light drink and have a big varity of flavors and are distributed by the weight loss zone (I am sure you can google them because I lot of different places sell them). They have 140 calories/2carbs/30protein for 2 packs mixed with 16ounces of Water. The Jay Robb was recommended by my band surgeon Dr.Smith and I buy it from Sunflower Shoppes when go to Dallas or you can find places to order it online. The Weight Loss Zone drinks were recommended by my band doctor that I see locally (for fills and unfills) and they are delicious!! They have coffee ones' date=' hot chocolate ones, grape,cran-grape,peach mango, pineapple,pineapple orange, strawberry kiwi, wild berry, orangeade, lemonade, lemon razzy, and grapefruit. I mix them in the 16.8 ounce water bottles and throw them in my work bag or gym bag for the day. If I am extra hungry one day (like around my cycle) then I drink an extra drink. You are going to be drinking protein for the rest of your life so find some that you really like not just tolerate. My husband has decided to lose weight (BIG step for him) and is using protein shakes and he LOVES the ones from weight loss zone. He bought Herbalife and tolerated it but it got old quick and I had him try mine. If you need any more info or pictures just let me know but if you like fruit flavored drinks or chrystal light then you will like these. If you are in the mood for something thicker then Jay Robb is good.[/quote']

Thanks again! And you bring up a few good points.. I think I was extra hungry bc I just started my cycle! So today ws more tolerable than the last 3 days though it got rough at night. It's funny you mention Jay Robb bc that ws on the list of recommended brands fm my surgeon too! I have the powder mix and decided to open it today (I have the chocolate one) and with a simple mix of water it was really good! Prob one of the best I've tasted. I've also been drinking the pre mix EAS chocolate drinks and they're thicker so i was able to drink that this morn and not be hungry until 1230ish. Ironically, chocolate is not my go to snack but when it comes to these drinks it's what I've always preferred. But thanks for the heads up on the weight loss zone drinks I will look them up online!