Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Joya in Puerto Vallarta

:confused: I'm very confused. I thought I had done all my homework (which is good given that I'm a teacher, right?). Today I received some information that has really turned my usually normal world upside-down!

I had chosen Dr. Joya in PV. I couldn't find any problems with him or his reputation. I received some info that he was in trouble in TJ and left there. I am now in a real state of confusion.

My date may change anyway due to circumstances beyond my control, but I have been talking with Cathy from Dr. Rumbaut's office about using Dr. R.

PLEASE advise me quickly before I have a total meltdown! I'm normally a calm, cool, and collected lady, but I've been having major panic attacks since making my decision. I hate living like this!

B :suspicious:

hi bridget i was worry about dr joya i coundn't find anything out on him i had just talk to some one from inamed he said he has meet him he has had no complants on him he is certified to do this he has had al the training for the band i he realy likes dr kuri but he said there is nothing wrong with dr joya i think he is going to do mine trying to go at the end of march if you hear something please let me know not every good at researchig i hope i help call inamed they will talk to you they where very nice on there web site is a number good luck with your decision he did mention dr rumbaut as beening very good also

Just for everyone's information, and not regarding any doctor in particular, Inamed (now Allergan) cannot say anything negative about any of the doctors, unless they wish to be sued for "interfering with a doctor's right to make a living" or some such similar legal wording - even if the info is true. all Inamed can say is that the docs are Inamed-certified and approved to use the Inamed bands, which is true once they have been through Inamed's training program and have been proctored. Even for the doctors who have been in jail or had serious problems or complaints, the response would be the same "no complaints, and certified by Inamed". They just cannot and do not stick their necks out.

It is much more difficult to find info on MX doctors, since there are no public-information sites where medical and legal problems, license suspentions, etc are legally posted as there are in the US. There is also no FDA regulation.

The best we can do is to do a very thorough search on sites like this one, and on Mexican Bandsters, Bandsters, and SmartBandsters. Search back at least 1-2 years. Even this is hard, becuase some of the MX docs and their coordinators have threatened people (even physically) who post negatively or honestly discuss problems they have encountered - so people are reluctant to post, and also worry then that they will not get good followup care from that doctor/coordinator. To further complicate matters, some of the less-ethical doctors actually employ people to post online about how wonderful the docs are - and they might not even have been banded! I found all this out - much to my chagrin - when i was researching my own banding last year and talked personally to some of the longterm and publicly-known Bandsters. I don't know the solution, other than to choose only one of the highly-ethical and longterm band surgeons, and never by price alone.

No doctor is perfect, without a complaint, or without any band problems - unless they have been in practice only a very short period of time. It might sound great that some doctor has never had a slip or an eroison - until you learn they have been banding only a year (for instance) and don't have many clients at all, and NO longterm clients - when the big problems are more likely to occur. all you can do is look at the big picture - banding a long time? Few complaints? Minor complaints ("I missed a plane because he was late getting out of the surgery before me") or big ones ("I had a bad infection and he wouldn't return my calls for days") Lots of complaints or only a few? Regular complaints or only irrgegular ones?

This is all extremely difficult for us, since the band and weight loss are already very emotional issues.

Maybe some of the longtimers here can comment on these issues? Renee

hi renee replying back to you i gentlemen at inmane volinter the information i just wan't to make sure he was realy a doctor because you don't know if it is a scram or if this banster realy are who they said they are i didn't want to send him a $1000.00 and find out there realy isn't a doctor i'm like most on here i will be selfpaid he gave me 4doctor over there he said would be safe.he had no reason to tell me something that wasn't true since i didn't ask there is ways to worn people without doing it hoping to go soon judyc

Dr. Joya did my banding 1/7/06, I have nothing but good things to say about him and his team. They were up front with me and followed through with everything they promised. The set up in PV is wonderful, the resort they set you up in is 5 star+, the hospital was awesome and me and my husband were treated very well. I had been doing my research for over 2-3 years. His website is www.drjoya.com and there is link into his support group, lots of good information. Plus his price for procedure is so much easier on the pocketbook. PM me if you want more information.:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Hi Bridget,

I was all setup to go to Dr. Joya,and I too read some info. online about him that made me a little nervous. Research back to 2003! I read that he had some problems with infections, and a few other things, he also allegedly failed to respond to the patients in a favorable manner. And his coordinator also tried to allegedly blame the pt. Check it out for yourself! So my thoughts were that even though he has done several bands since then, with few complaints,being a nurse I just didn't want to take a chance with my life. No amount of money is worth it. So I have chosen to go to Dr. Kuri as he is not as expensive as Dr. Rumbaut. Dr. Rumbaut has very high overhead which is why his surgery is more expensive. Dr. Kuri is in a new facility now and has not raised his prices, at least not yet! From my research I have found that the top three Drs. are Rumbaut, Kuri,and Ortiz! The choice is yours, but whatever you do don't let money be the deciding factor, I almost made that mistake! If you are financing it , it will only be a few more dollars per month! I'm having surgery on 3/18/06, wish me luck!

Kaffenoire

Don't know about Dr. Joya but if wanting to get surgery done in Vacation place, check with Dr. Ortiz's team that is in Cancun and has great reputation.

Just an idea

April