Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 1/2 Years Later And Questions

First off, the band has changed my life for the better. It was well worth it. When I attended my band orientation I weighed 340 pounds. After my first year, I was down to 220 and feeling great. Over the last 2 1/2 years I've slowly gained back 20 pounds and stabilized at just under 240. I work out 3 times a week. I can't really eat rice, bead, Pasta or any more than a couple oz of meat. I've learned to eat differently, more Soup, chilli, oatmeal and yogurt. I eat 5 times a day and feel great with my diet. There is no doubt I eat more sweets than I should.

The problem is my goal was 220 and as hard as I try, I just can't seem to get back that 20 pounds lost. I'm thinking about another fill and wondering if it's worth it. I'm wondering if I've already changed my diet to such an extent that a fill might not even work. In fact, it could backfire and cause me to get more calories fom cheat foods.

I learned a lot about myself and over eating isn't a physical problem, it's a mental one. There is no doubt I would weigh 340 or more without my band. I'm questioning whether I need to hunker down and try and keep the cheat foods away or get another fill and see if that forces my weight down?

First you need to try and eliminate the sweets! Funny to hear that from me, an admitted chocoholic! I feel like a junkie when given some real good stuff! If you aren't hungry between meals then I would say you don't need a fill. When was the last time you have seen your dr? Battling the head hunger has been huge for me these last couple of months as well. Sometimes I will take a bath or go watch tv in bed to try and forget about it. Or I will have a cup of hot tea, which I am doing right now!

It sounds like you are eating a lot of "slider" foods... Try eating more solid Protein and. It down the sweets or up the gym. I am three year out also. There are some things I don't want to modify (like an occasional drink after a long week) but I worry and work out more to accommodate it.

weight.png

First you need to try and eliminate the sweets! Funny to hear that from me' date=' an admitted chocoholic! I feel like a junkie when given some real good stuff! If you aren't hungry between meals then I would say you don't need a fill. When was the last time you have seen your dr? Battling the head hunger has been huge for me these last couple of months as well. Sometimes I will take a bath or go watch tv in bed to try and forget about it. Or I will have a cup of hot tea, which I am doing right now![/quote']

Since my band surgery,I can't even remember the last time I was actually physically hungry. It's just that little voice in my head always telling me to eat something. My last fill was a couple years ago and that is the last visit I had. Hot tea always worked for me as well, maybe I should get some. Thanks!

It sounds like you are eating a lot of "slider" foods... Try eating more solid Protein and. It down the sweets or up the gym. I am three year out also. There are some things I don't want to modify (like an occasional drink after a long week) but I worry and work out more to accommodate it.

Jen75, has your weight loss stabilized or do you continue to drop slowly? After a few bites of chicken, I'm stuffed but, I don't feel full. Do you know what I mean? The slider food habit is tough to break, they are the only things that make me feel satisfied. I've tried to break away from anything that is not solid but, I've not had success for long.

Well, you wont know till you try it, but it depends a bit on what your ideal weight (rather than your goal) is. I mean, if its 150lb or so, then you've got tons more to lose and your body will probably respond.

It also depends a lot on how tight you already are.

I've been down this road, getting tighter and tighter in the hopes of losing when you're already thin does not work.

But you must have some to lose at 240, and if you're not already in the green zone, then a fill is definitely the way to go.

Jen75' date=' has your weight loss stabilized or do you continue to drop slowly? After a few bites of chicken, I'm stuffed but, I don't feel full. Do you know what I mean? The slider food habit is tough to break, they are the only things that make me feel satisfied. I've tried to break away from anything that is not solid but, I've not had success for long.[/quote']

I was initially able to lose 70 lbs. then was to tight for far to long. Gained weight from slider foods (that was all I could get down) the 15-20 lbs I gained scared me. I was closing in on 200lbs again. I sought my surgeons help and since January, I have recommitted. I am watching what I eat, getting my Protein in and trying to stay around 1200-1400 calories a day. I am losing about a 1/2 pound to a 1lb a week. I don't want to feel like I am dieting so I don't restrict myself but I also try and stay within a caloric limit.

I look at this as I have had the band for three years, I dont have a time limit to get to my goal so as long as the scale is moving in the right direction, I'm good. I have the bulk of my weight off.

I do know what you mean about feeling full. However, I have found that as long as I get my Protein in, I am rarely hungry and battle head hunger more then anything. The bulk of my protein does come in a form of a shake/smoothie or yogurt, Beans and cottage cheese. I leave any meat that is denser for evenings when my band is the most relaxed. I also find that I no longer can "sit" and eat a meal. It takes FOREVER and more often then not, I get stuck or uncomfortable. This leads me to portioning my food, and eating standing up or doing other things within the 20-30 minutes I allow myself to eat. If there is anything left over, it goes for lunch the next day or my husband eats it. I cant eat anything in the am.

So when you say you you are "stuffed" but not "full" it sounds as if you are dealing with head hunger. Changing your relationship with food is hard. It will be a battle but know that the rewards outweigh the bad. I'm a master at diversion, so I find that I clean now instead of mindlessly eating.... It's not as rewarding but it is productive! Lol good luck!

weight.png

I am four years out this month. Yea! I lost 80 pounds, but am discouraged because I have somehow regained 30 pounds over the last 1 1/2 years. I just got tightened again....this is the last band fill, because on flouroscope, this is the tightest I should be. I exercise nearly every day and watch what I eat, but my body just wants to gain weight. I was a huge proponent of this surgery, but am confused as to why I have gained weight. I won't go back to being too heavy....wish me luck. I really need it.

Keep in mind that over time some of the Fluid does escape through osmosis. It is best to get a maintenance fill about once a year or so.

I am four years out this month. Yea! I lost 80 pounds' date=' but am discouraged because I have somehow regained 30 pounds over the last 1 1/2 years. I just got tightened again....this is the last band fill, because on flouroscope, this is the tightest I should be. I exercise nearly every day and watch what I eat, but my body just wants to gain weight. I was a huge proponent of this surgery, but am confused as to why I have gained weight. I won't go back to being too heavy....wish me luck. I really need it.[/quote']

It's not easy. I know it's not the band, it's me. I'm subconsciously looking for ways to eat around the band. Being down 100 but still 30 ponds from ideal weight gives me mixed feelings. I know for certain the band works but, it can only do so much. When your head is always telling you to eat, its hard to do the right thing. I have little doubt I would have gained all the weight back had the band not been there. I think your in the same boat as I am, some how I'm going to push back and gain some strength. I'm not going to go back and neither are you.

So Jen, after 3 years and gaining all my lost weight back (50 lbs) I had my band tightened 2 weeks ago. I do notice I have a very hard time eating in the morning!! And in the evening, when I'm most ravenous, I can get more food down! I also am eating a lot of what you call slider foods. Why is it that chocolate and ice cream go down with ease, but chicken breast comes back up with a vengeance! :-(

So Jen' date=' after 3 years and gaining all my lost weight back (50 lbs) I had my band tightened 2 weeks ago. I do notice I have a very hard time eating in the morning!! And in the evening, when I'm most ravenous, I can get more food down! I also am eating a lot of what you call slider foods. Why is it that chocolate and ice cream go down with ease, but chicken breast comes back up with a vengeance! :-([/quote']

Sliders always melt after chewing!!! They are delicious but not good on an everyday basis unless they are high Protein. The band, as many will tell you is always tight in the morning and loosens throughout the day. I have found that when I get all my Protein in early I am not hungry in the evening but fight the head hunger and "scheduled" eating routine. I would be concerned if you cant get any denser Proteins down while following all the rules. You may want to go on liquids for a few days. In my experience, when I have had a "vengeance" episode, it makes everything swell and then nothing goes down but the sliders. Going on liquids resets me and I can restart fresh. If you try this and are still having trouble, you may want to have a slight unfill. You were able to do it once...you can do it again. It is very hard, but well worth it!!! It sucks when you learn to eat around the band. Good luck to you.

weight.png

You also my want to think about therapy of some kind if you think it is a mental/emotional thing. I was 10-30lbs up & down before I got into the big gains & losses. My head stuff has been a large part of the problem. The band has helped tremendously but there are still times (night) when I have to fight it. I try to go back to the beginning with things like sf Jello, sf frozen popscicles & ff broth. Plus, hot tea, etc. I think 20 lbs from goal is very impressive!

i was not given much info on what foods to eat and what not to, and what is best can anyone help me?

I go through phases myself where I tend to eat slider foods. Especially chocolate but when I get tempted I have to busy myself and change my focus. I got out for a nice long stroll tonight and I feel awesome. Much more satisfied than if I would of had a treat. I struggle a lot mentally with this and have learned that I will not lose anymore weight if I don't follow strict guidelines. Upping my Protein has helped tremendously. It's really nice to get on here to find out I'm not alone in my struggles. I am still very happy with my decision to band.