Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food was my friend

Ok food sucks, I used to love it, It was my best friend.

I would Live to eat now I Eat to live,

I used to walk through the food store putting everything in my shopping cart. Now I walk out of there without a clue, I get my husband and my kids what they love to eat but there is nothing that strikes me as

*** I've got to have that now *** anymore.

I guess this is all a good change, I make better food choices, it is much easier with the band to eat healthy, because it(food) doesn't matter to me anymore. . Eating used to be such a source of enjoyment in my life,

Now it is only a necessity to live.

I've lost my best friend (food) and sorry friend I don't miss you at all. I've got a new best friend, my Band.

I am having those same feeling. That is what has taken me so long to make the decision to get banded (not yet banded, saving) I think you brought up an important point in your statement...you have to be ready to change EMOTIONALLY along with your physical changes. Good for you and well said.

It's nice huh?

Every now and then there's something that I just gotta have now, and I do have a little bit. What's funniest is when I think I want something really bad and I go to grab it at the store and it doesn't sound good anymore so I don't get it, lol.

It's a strange transition, huh? I still get those urges, and sometimes I just indulge myself...but a lot less! I've done the same thing, Marimu, and put something in my basket to buy, then gone back and put it back on the shelf! It's almost unbelievable.

Great thread, Cindy

At times I miss my old food habits. But when I realize how much weight I have lost and the fact that the food I used to eat did me so wrong by making me almost 300lbs, I get over it real quick!

Best of luck to you!

It might just be me. Or I'm filled to tight. But really nothing taste the same. So I can't say I really miss to many foods.

I used to read what Jack shared about not missing some of his favorite foods and I didn't understand. I don't think you do until you are in the same spot. I don't really miss my old bestfriend... ice cream. One night I really wanted it. I said I will get a small serving of SF stuff tomorrow and had some sf pudding. The next day when DH asked if we were going for icecream I said I didn't want it anymore.

What a freeing feeling that was:) If I had it in the house, I probably would have eaten it!

I can do this ONE DAY AT A TIME!!!

I am looking forward to the day when I can honestly say that I don't feel ruled by my uncontrollable eating. The one thing that is a concern for me now (I am awaiting my insurance company's consideration of my appeal) is the fact that much of my daytime eating is emotional in nature. Does the band do anything to help this, or is it purely a change of habit, a shift in thinking? I am not shying away from doing the work necessary to make the band work for me, but I kinda want to know where to find the enemy. :confused:

Thanks for the interesting thread!

Pansy

Pansy,

The band will help with the AMOUNT of eating you do when you eat from emotions, but not that you DO eat from emotions. I've found that I don't eat so much from emotions, but from habit (plop in front of the computer >> want to eat, plop in front of the TV >> want to eat, bored >> want to eat)... so I've had to work at NOT eating during these times, or making sure it's low cal, like veggies or salad.

Just had a fill yesterday and it is tight! Have found I am eating just a little all day. It has taken all day to go through 3 pieces of bread and 1 /12 pieces of fruit and a 1/2 cup of Pasta. If I eat more than a mouthfull every 10 min or so the band LETS ME KNOW IT! Is this anyone elses experience?

I cant eat bread, meat Pasta or rice, I tried, lord knows I tried lol but I was in too much pain so ive left them alone. I only eat what I can comfortably break with the side of my fork and I stay pain free. In the UK we call this pain a PB (productive burping) might be the same here but by any name it isnt pleasant is it. after my fills I usually stay on Soup for a couple of days whilst the band adjusts to its new filling. but yes, the restriction your feeling is correct it makes it hard to eat the way you did and it takes a few days to realise that its a whole new ball game once more. try eating more mushy stuf like Soup, cottage pie and if you can cut out the bread and Pasta as it doesnt break down well to go through your newly smaller opening into your small tum. you will soon get used to what you can have and cant have. good luck and look foreward to a whooshy weight loss !!

re the first post saying food was my friend but now my band is, I couldnt agree more

I realise now, food was my enemy, pretending to be my friend, it was killing me (410lbs) now I love being in control, and eating small portions, feeling full is new to me, I could never get enough, now I can stop and forget about eating until next time I feel a bit hungry or more correctly "peckish" as hunger isnt a problem for me now