Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slipped Lapband Questions For Those Who Have Had It Fixed

My lapband slipped about a month ago. Since my stomach is trapped in it letting the Fluid out did not help. I am scheduled for a new labpband to be put in next week. I was wondering for those of you who have had something similer to this happen what to expect before and after surgery. I'm so lucky that my insurance is paying for this because this is not the same insurance I had when i got the lapband. The dr wanted to put a bigger lapband in this time for some reason so I'm very lucky they have approved that as well. I think he said that most bands that slip will do it agian so instead of just fixing it he recommended a new band. The reason for the larger band I really have no clue. Unless they think its cause they can fill the band more. So how long did your 2nd surgery go? My first was 30 minuts surgery time. But this time they will be taking the lapband out and placing a new one. Did you have to do a special diet the week before like I did the first I had the lapband placed? I can't remember how long I was on restriction for the first time around. How long will I have to wait to start doing zumba agian? I know I should have asked these questions when I was in his office but I dindt want to get excited if my insurance wouldn't pay for it. I have called the office to ask but am waiting to here back from them so I thought id ask some of you who have done it before. The port will not be touched just the band. I'm sure i will have to do one or two weeks of liquid then mushys then solids like I did the last time. Thanks guys for all who respond have a great day!

I have not had that expirence but I am so scared of a slip. Do you know what caused it? How it happened? So sorry you have to go through that again.

I had a slip, and repair; it was not replaced. I had it done in October and went on a cruise in November. I was 2 weeks liquid and then normal. I am happy with the repair, however, never have gotten to the green zone. I am on maintenace and working hard not to gain weight. But, you are going through soem thing different than I. Goodluck, Karen

Not sure what happend because I did everthing I was suppost to. It could have been from being to lose after losing alot of weight. He really couldn't tell me since I had done everything that was asked of me. I had Hernia surgery in November of this year then surgery agian in january because I cought staff infection. They had to open me up and cut out were it had eat into me. So I.ve had home health coming for almost six months everyday to clean wound. I was alos put on a wound vacumm for several months from a slow healing wound which happens a lot when u get staff infection. I'm assuming while I was in the hospital the first time with hernia infection i caught it. I had to have four blood transfusions and kidneys tried to shut down which made my immune system really low and when your immune system is that low you can catch stuff like that easier. so by the end of the week I will be all closed and discharged from home health. I'm so missing my Zumba It is the best workout and its not like a worout to me its fun with other zumba freinds. I love my lapband dr he has been great wouldn't trade him or the lapband for anything. I just pray I don't have any complication or get any kind of infection while having the repair. I'm so ready to get out and have some fun with my wounderful hubby and kiddos. Being restricted to the house for 6 months is very depressing and not fun at all. I personaly think it had to do with the heria surgery everything seemed to go wrong after that. But we will never know. I do know I have not had Fluid in my band for a month and the last 5 months before that only 1cc. I miss my band working and I'm so ready fro the helpful tool to be fixed. I could alwasy lose weight but never could keep it off. With the band working properley I'm all good. Making good food choices and exercise is something I enjoy. The times i make bad food choices I'm restricted and reminbed when I feel full to stop. Before it tasted so good I kept eating and eating. Thats what i love about the band. I hadnt had a piece of bread or donut, biscuit.. etc.. in two years until my band slipped. Did I miss those things? yes at first. But I learned ways to subutute like with wraps. I was one who really enjoyed my bread I loved sandwiches in the summer. Rolls at dinner so yummy... I know a lot of people who could still eat those things in moderation but I was not one of them. I can eat anything these days which is not good. I hadnt felt stuffed in years but after having band fluid removed Its like it was preband and that scares me cause if I can eat it I will. I don't seem to have the control. With the band I have the control and when ive had enough I know the signals it gives me that i better stop eating. It makes me nauseus when I eat to much you would think that would help me but it don't. I would be right back were I started if I lost my band and that is very scary.

I started having major reflux and heartburn even if i hadnt had anything to eat or drink it would just come out of my mouth uncontrolled smelled like the grosses rotten egg or fart u ever smelled. Before I had surgery in november I had 4cc. Hadnt been able to have much over 1cc since surgery so that was a red flag with the added reflux and heartburn. My kids would be like gross mom stop farting u stink. It happend over and over no warning so embarrising when in public. I had never in my life had heartburn or reflux. It was so bad it burned all the way up. So he took out some fluid and said if it continues call me right back and we will send you for a barrium swallow to see if band slipped. Those are number one sins band slipped.

How long have you been banded? How big is your band? U have lapband or relize band? How many cc do u have in your? What can you eat and not eat since surgery? are u glad you had it done? Have you had any problems? Welpought id ask you some questions about your experience so far since i just wrote a book.lol! I love hearing others adventure with the lapband. I think this site has been my number one support system since surgery besides my family.TTYL! Thanks for your response kbliss78 any questions id love to answer.

I had a slip, and repair; it was not replaced. I had it done in October and went on a cruise in November. I was 2 weeks liquid and then normal. I am happy with the repair, however, never have gotten to the green zone. I am on maintenace and working hard not to gain weight. But, you are going through soem thing different than I. Goodluck, Karen

U said your not at green zone yet . how big is your band and how many cc are in it? Have you had more ccs than u have today before.

Thanks for the info

I only have 5 cc in my band, The surgeon said if he puts any in, it will be too tight. I guess, according to him, I am in teh green zone. But I have been eating ice cream. I need to stay away from that as it is my weakness. (he threatened to take some out!!)Karen

I have the old 4 cc band that's not used in the USA any more. I had a band slip that was cured by a complete unfill. Two years later, I had another complete unfill to treat eseophageal dilation and motility problems. My surgeon refuses to re-fill my band now because she says that my band is too small, even without any fill in it. So your surgeon might be thinking the same thing of your band...that you'll do better, and be safer, with a bigger band. Apparently smaller bands cause too much pressure on the stomach and lower esophagus. I'm going to have my band removed and revise to the vertical sleeve gastrectomy because I'm afraid that even a bigger band can eventually cause problems.

Skinny: What kind of hernia did you have repaired? Was it a hiatal hernia? I am planning on scheduling surgery to repair mine but am not 100% decided yet.

My first band slipped after about 10 months or so. I was already at my goal weight, but I didn't want to just have it removed. I ended up having the band removed and a new band was put in. The first surgery was so easy. I hardly had any discomfort so I didn't even worry about the second one. OMG!!!! It was painful! I guess it hurt more because instead of just having something put in me, something was taken out and then something was put in. That was six years ago and my band has been in a great position every time I have had a fill/x-ray. I wish you sucess.