Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch To 5K

Okay - so I am going to start the Couch to 5K. I have everything ready...but my only concern is that as of tomorrow I will be two weeks out. I can't remember if my doctor said it was okay to run a little at this time or just walk. I know he said no treadmill, tennis...etc for a month because of the pulling potion on your tummy....does that apply to running as well? Anyone know?

Thanks!

My Dr said walking for one month, then after one month I would be free to do anything. I dont know about anyone else, but running right after surgery would cause my stomack to bounce up and down which may irritate the port issue. I can run now for short distances prior to surguery (but since my tummy is not small, it does go up and down). Just something to think about. I imagine you will feel it if you need to stop.

Good luck on Couch to 5K. I tried a year ago but had to stop at week 3. I think it was because I was too heavy. I am going to try again once i get 30 lbs off. Till then, walking and zumba for me :)

I just started week 1 this morning... my dr told me three weeks.

i found that wearing a compression tank top helps hold my belly in place, since i have a big tummy. no puling or anything at all :)

Hmmm...maybe two weeks is too soon then. Now I am worried. I will call the doc's office I guess :( I knew I should have taken better notes...lol

i also started this morning! my doc told me two weeks and i wear a cheapo neoprene belly burner when i exercise...it seems to hold everything in place!

I was told no exercising for a month other than walking. The thing is with all that bouncing involved in running you could damage the port. Follow your Dr orders there is a reason he told you wait and remember he is the Dr not you

My Dr. Turned me loose after one week to do anything I wanted, but take it easy on lifting.

I am in week three of couch to 5K.

If it has been a while since you have done any running, invest in the best shoes you can afford. Go to a running store where people who know can fit you for the proper shoes.

I'm not so much concerned about entering 5K's as much as I am wanting to get out and run a few miles every day whenever, and where ever I'm at.

Home, vacation, where ever.

What do they normally charge for fitting you...etc. Sounds expensive and I am on a tight budget...especially since my first Band payment is due in 3 weeks :(

One of the ladies here at work and my daughters signed up for a 5K to run. I work better under pressure...lol

The place I got fitted didn't charge anything. Which is probably because the shoes are more expensive. I ends up with a pair of brocks whig were like $140. He said my ankles roll when I walk and my arch falls. Wow it was such a change and it really helped with my joints while running. I don't wear anything else when I run. The only problem with them is they only come in one style and its pretty ugly in my opinion. I am in week 5 of c25k. I usually do 40 minutes on the eliptical after I finish that up.