Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

was it worth it?

i would do it again

I would take this journey over again in a heartbeat. I am 51 and thought I would never lose the weight again. Like some others I won't say it has been an easy ride. There are ups, downs, frustrations, plateaus, etc. There is also that thing in your head called your brain that doesn't always cooperate and you have to make it cooperate with you. It also sometimes sabotages you into thinking you can't do it and you need more or the wrong kind of food. Mind over matter and thankfully now I have less matter. LOL. I can't explain how good it feels at my age to now have a guy turn his head to look at me walking by. I just have to smile to myself. I am happily married mind you but it still feels good knowing that someone actually looked at me that way again. Loving this life and wouldn't have it any other way. Yes, Yes, Yes, I would do it again.

I would take this journey over again in a heartbeat. I am 51 and thought I would never lose the weight again. Like some others I won't say it has been an easy ride. There are ups, downs, frustrations, plateaus, etc. There is also that thing in your head called your brain that doesn't always cooperate and you have to make it cooperate with you. It also sometimes sabotages you into thinking you can't do it and you need more or the wrong kind of food. Mind over matter and thankfully now I have less matter. LOL. I can't explain how good it feels at my age to now have a guy turn his head to look at me walking by. I just have to smile to myself. I am happily married mind you but it still feels good knowing that someone actually looked at me that way again. Loving this life and wouldn't have it any other way. Yes, Yes, Yes, I would do it again.

Then what is wrong with me? What is everyone talking about? I can eat bread- I could eat all day and not feel full ( I don't eat all day though) What is the matter with me? As usual, i feel like a failure-sigh. I don't admit this to the general public-but here i figure it's safe to speak up. I hope that's o.k.

Then what is wrong with me? What is everyone talking about? I can eat bread- I could eat all day and not feel full ( I don't eat all day though) What is the matter with me? As usual, i feel like a failure-sigh. I don't admit this to the general public-but here i figure it's safe to speak up. I hope that's o.k.

Porcupinemamma, everyone is different. It also stands to reason that everyone is also different in what foods they can and cannot tolerate. I can't do bread easily, but I also can't do other healthy things, like celery or broccoli and sometimes ROMAINE lettuce for goodness' sake. I find I can do crushed bread though, like in paninis and I could eat chocolate all day without a hiccup.

Don't beat yourself up for being different. If you are at restriction and can still tolerate bread, that's not something to bemoan. Are you eating whole wheat (the first word in the ingredients being whole)? That's really the only aspect you should worry about, because not eating whole wheat means you're missing out on a lot of healthy doses of fiber!

Oh, and on topic with the thread, I would do it a thousand more times if I had to. I wouldn't trade this freedom for anything.

I just got mine a week ago. Already, I have lost at least 15 lbs. Probably more. But mainly what I have lost is that nagging anxiety, guilt, and obsession about food. I have only lost weight twice in my life...a total of 32 lbs, gained back with extra. For the past 20 years, I have beat myself up on a daily basis about my weight and what I have done to my body. I don't feel that way right now. I feel free.

Yeah, I still worry that maybe it won't work for me or something will go wrong or my food addiction will take over and failure will set it. But, when I look in the mirror, I feel better just knowing that I have some control over food now. I am still healing and sore from surgery but I feel GOOD. That good feeling makes it easier to love my body again.

I have had two other surgeries in my life: a c-section and ankle reconstruction. This surgery was a piece of cake compared to those.

At this point, I would do it again in a second.

It is definitely ok to say what you feel. To me, that is what this forum is all about. You should not feel like a failure at all. I don't know your particulars or when you were banded but if it is recent, you will be feeling like you can eat anything right now. Also, even when you are at a good restrictive point, you will should still be able to eat any types of foods, just in much less quantities. I am able to eat breads, I just choose not to at this point in my journey. I want to get to my goal as quickly as I can and begin maintenance mode or forever mode if you want to call it that. In my case, I discovered that even in small quantities, the starchs add the pounds to me. It is like poison to me right now so I just decided not to eat those things and I have to say at this point, I haven't missed them. Except the bread which is my weakness. I have had a bite or two here and there but I don't eat it on a daily or even weekly basis. So, it is all in what you choose to do with your band journey. If you find certain foods put the pounds on you and you don't mind losing a little more slowly then that would be the way to go. There is nothing wrong with it and a lot of bandsters choose to do it that way. The belief is that your body won't be so shocked when you begin to introduce those foods later. Or, you can choose to possibly lose the weight more quickly by cutting out those foods all together which is where I am at to date. Not saying I won't ever eat them because at my goal, I will begin to slowly introduce very small amounts and only occasionally. I guess my personal thing is, I went through a lot to get where I am and I want to continue at a specific pace to get where I want to go which means cutting out those foods. I just haven't had the desire to eat them because my desire to lose the weight is greater. I have slowed down some and have plateaued a couple of times because I am getting closer to my goal so I am being even more careful right now. I have ramped up my exercise and that is helping. I am losing about 7 to 8 pounds a month which is pretty much where I should be. If I keep going I will be at my goal by my one year band date. Good Luck and keep your chin up. Talk to your surgeon if you are frustrated and see if they have ideas or suggestions for you. Maybe they can help.

I am so glad you posted this. I am due to have my surgery on 12/17.I have the same concerns and questions as you.I just want to know that I am doing the right thing.I wondered the same thing .Are you all happy with your choice to have it done.I am so nervous.Help

I would not do it again. That said, now that I have had it done, I need to make it work. I truly hope that your journey will be successful and empowering. blessings to you.

Heck yeah I'd do it again!!!!

I've lost 30 pounds in 2 months and am 10 pounds from my goal. I am a self-payer & wish I had done it sooner.

Yo-yo diets gave me low self esteem.

Lapband has been the best decision I have made in my whole life!