Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Do They Have Us Do

So I was on 1 week full liquids then mushies one week then transition to normal which is MUCH less than everyone else, which makes me worry. So if we are chewing everything into mush, then why go through all the stages anyway, is there anything about the particular foods classified as mushy . I mean I am three weeks out and eating pretty much anything, in small well chewed quantities. But everyone else seems like they are not there yet?

follow the directions your Dr. Gave to you, don't compare your diet to someone else's as there are many differences. On that note, if you feel you're advancing too quickly based on how you feel, then slow down.

If you want to be successful please follow your doctor's orders. They have you on a staged diet for a reason which I'm sure has been explained to you. Take care, and good luck!!

I just reread your post and it sounda as though you ARE following your doctor's orders. So good for you!

My surgeon had me go from 1 week of liquids to two weeks of soft Proteins then to slowly intro dense proteins and veggies. I think he does not have a mushies stage because he hates the idea of carbs especially mashed potatoes and gravy!!! lol

I'm a believer though because I have NEVER been able to lose like this despite my 40 years of dieting!!!

If they leave it up to us to chew our food to mush, we are almost certain to make a mistake. Drs come up with these guidelines based on their experience and training and they are intended to help us be as successful as possible. Just because there are some differences doesn't make one more right or wrong than the other.

Even at 2 years post op i will occasionally get distracted, be in hurry or whatever, and without thinking i will gulp my food without chewing properly and for me this results in the food coming straight back up. When you are in the early days of healing from your surgery this is not a good thing so to reduce the risk of vomiting or having a stuck episode doctors have a regime for you to follow to help you adjust to new eating habits/styles/foods and to assist the healing process.

I think the goal is to eat "SOFT" foods, so as not to irritate a already inflamed area from the band. Same is true following a fill.

I can chew hamburger into a mush, but it still is a rough texture.

You start with liquids, which is about as soft as you can get, then heavier liquids such as creamed Soups that are strained, then soft solid foods, AKA Mushies.

Stephy, I feel fine just worry because everyone here keeps talking about damage that could be done to the band if we eat too soon, and what my plan said is soon comparably. Do you think if I am feeling fine and have followed directions then I havn't hurt anything? Or could there be something unknown?

Highland... I am following the plan, but the didn't really explain why they do it that way to me which is why I asked here and got some good answers. But my plan seems fast compared to everyone elses but I havn't had any problems and am losing, slowly 18lbs in 5 weeks since presurg diet started. I think the carby stuff is not good either, I try to think of mushies as cottage cheese, eggs, yogurt, tuna and such, and my real foods are things like ground beef and rice and well chewed Soups etc. What is your weight loss like and how far out are you?

JanB23... I have followed directions, I just worry because I am on real foods when most others at three weeks are not. But I havn't had problems with being stuck or sick, do you think that means I havn't done any damage?

SageTracey and B52... Thank you for your comments, that makes sense. I think everything I have eaten has been pretty soft with the exception of some hummus chips which seem to go well with everything and I have chewed them to liquid (they dissolve well).

Thanks everyone!

I agree with everything that has been said here but would like to add something to the mix. You are talking about liquids for a week, soft for two and easing into solid foods. My docs instructions were, liquid 5 days, mushies 5 days then regurlar foods after that.

If you don't think that was confusing after seeing the comments at this site! :) I have lost to date 42 lbs, so I'm not going to question my doctors instructions, but it does make a person sit back and think when reading about other banders who are on strick month long liquid diets.

Is there a right way or a wrong way? Who is to say really. What works for one person may not work for another.

I wish you continued success with your band and remember to take everything said on this site as a guide and not as fact. Everything is based on a very personal level and again it may or may not work for you. You have to find what works for you and push forward.

I went through the same stages as you. I learned real quick not to compare to other doctors. And that everyone is deffinitly different. I had surgery exactly one month ago. I feel great. Eating normal just smaller portions. I go for my first fill next week. So far lost 16 lbs. but it's been slow the last 2 weeks.

I had surgery March 8 so I am getting ready to start solids. I'm kinda scared since I just had my slip fixed. I have been eating things like chili and string cheese, but I will start eating more solid things. I think I will hold off until Easter Sunday, and then try a few more things then.

So I was on 1 week full liquids then mushies one week then transition to normal which is MUCH less than everyone else, which makes me worry. So if we are chewing everything into mush, then why go through all the stages anyway, is there anything about the particular foods classified as mushy . I mean I am three weeks out and eating pretty much anything, in small well chewed quantities. But everyone else seems like they are not there yet?

amandacoop i dont understand it either. i know that the pouch has to heal after surgery... but really, how long does it take? there is a huge difference in protocols with graduating from liquids to solids.

It's just surgeons preference I think. If there were any real evidence based practice to show one diet advancement method as best, there likely would be such variation.

I think also they are just being overly cautious. We haven't made the best food choices in the past--so they are strict with us!