Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long To Take Off Work?

My surgery date is next monday, I have requested one week off. After reading some of these blogs it sounds like I my need more time. I have the vacation time so should I be requesting more? I'm also concerned about this reflex problem, how bad is it after surgery. I already have a refrlex issue that I did not tell my doc about, should I be concerned?

What kind of job do you have? Is it an office job or a physical job? If it is an office job I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be fine to go back after a week, most people are feeling Ok by then although everybody is different.

What kind of job do you have? Is it an office job or a physical job? If it is an office job I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be fine to go back after a week, most people are feeling Ok by then although everybody is different.

I agree an office job most are fine within a week. It also depends on your resiliance and determination.

I'm 4 days post op today and I can't imagine going back after 1 week.. Not that it's horrible.. But uncomfortable.. I'd take 2 Weeks..

It's not just the band that you have to factor in. How do you normally react to anaesthetic? That always knocks me for at least a week. I took two weeks off and was glad I did. And I am a desk jockey....

im not banded yet but my surgeon told me a week i dont work behind a desk but my job is pretty light duty

I caught a cold around the time I was in the hospital. I tried to go back the second week. Ended up doing about half-time. If not for the cold, I probably could have done my desk job after a week.

I didn't even take a full week. I did it Wednesday and was back at work on Monday.

It's all about getting over the incisions pain and the air they blow in there.

Take the full week, but no need to lose vacation days.

Okay I will take a week and see how I feel. Do I have a desk job? yes and no. I'm a food service director. I'm up and down alot but plan on sticking to my desk for the frist few weeks or so.

Thank you so much for all of your reply.

One more question, I had galbblader surgery about two years ago this surgery sounds so much more painful then galbblader does anyone know if that is ture?

Okay I will take a week and see how I feel. Do I have a desk job? yes and no. I'm a food service director. I'm up and down alot but plan on sticking to my desk for the frist few weeks or so.

Thank you so much for all of your reply.

One more question, I had galbblader surgery about two years ago this surgery sounds so much more painful then galbblader does anyone know if that is ture?

I also had gallbladder surgery two years ago - thankfully my gallbladder surgery was a breeze! I don't even remember being in pain at all after surgery. I expected the same for the band, but sadly it was not true - the Band is more painful... there's a significant difference. My gallbladder surgery was the reason I thought 4 days was enough.

But I feel like expectations play a huge role in it. I expected the gallbladder surgery to hurt a lot - so I guess I was more mentally prepared for pain. and the opposite for the Band I expected it to not hurt as much, so I wasn't prepared.

Don't worry though, it all passes, just take whatever painkillers they give you :)

My first few days I hugely regretted this, and was really depressed, but I was told i'd feel like that, and it passed. You lose a lot on the post op diet, so it motivates you.

Good Luck :)