Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm In The Very Beginning Stages...

I have entertained the Lap Band quite a bit in the last 2 years. I am 5' 3" and I weigh 242 lbs. I am married with 3 children ages 5 to 18. I have tried all the diets with little to no success. I recently went to my doctor to talk about my weight issues and she suggested the lapband. I have read and watched countless youtube videos, the good, the bad and in between. I have a handful of friends and family who have had the surgery with great results. I took a week to think about it and talk it over with my husband and today I made the appointment with the surgeon and for the seminar. I plan on taking my husband to the seminar with me. Surprisingly both the appointment and the seminar are scheduled for THIS tuesday! I feel very excited and alittle anxious. I have health insurance and am praying that this surgery will be covered. How much weight do you have to lose pre surgery? Any advice is welcomed! Thanks!

Hi there! I'm very new to this too. I've begun my process, seen my surgeon, nutritionist, psychologist, and I just got accepted by my insurance! Surgery date is May 3!! Couldn't be more excited!

My doctor did not have a requirement for how much weight I had to lose before surgery. He is having me go on a liquid diet, all Protein drinks...for 2 weeks before the surgery. To shrink my liver, so putting the band on will be easier. He did say that I will lose weight by being on that diet, but it wasn't a specific requirement to lose anything.

Your story is similiar to mine. I am 5'1" and at the beginning of preop I weighed 235lbs. I have three children 12-20 years. I researched lapband, gastric, sleeve for several years before biting the bullet. I took my husband along to the seminar and he ended up actually getting banded before I did. Originally, he was just going along as a support for me. I know for him, it was the best thing that he ever did for himself. He is @ 8 months out and is two sizes away from high school pants! He dropped an amazing 85 pounds so far. For me, I was banded on March 15,2012 and so far I do not have any regrets.

As far as a preop diet, my surgeon put us on an Atkins liver shrink diet. He wanted us to lose 5-10 before surgery to shrink liver.

My insurance required the 6 month supervised diet. However, when dealing with insurance, be careful if you are on the borderline of BMI numbers. My surgeon and doctor's office told me the danger number of falling below. Since I had no comorbidities, my insurance will not pay if your BMI drops below their recommendation. Basically, they will say that you are doing so well on the physician diet, just stick to it. HA! Like I haven't tried that one before! So basically, I played around with 5-6 pounds for the 6 month diet. Just another hoop to go through. I was denied after the first six months, went through everything again and BINGO!! Kept the weight at that "magical insurance number", and was approved within 3 days.

Good luck with your journey and ask lots of questions at the seminar!

MommyKristie,

Thanks for your reply. Boy that must've been something having your husband go for support and end up getting banded before you! Sounds like it was an insurance nightmare! I am glad it worked out in your favor. My BMI is something like a 42.7 (morbidly obese, I hate that saying!) I have quite a few comorbidities. My dad passed away of a heart attack at 53 after years of struggling with diabetes and being over weight. My mom had a heart attack at 48 years old and ended up with a quadruple bypass. Grandparents on both sides, pretty much similar story. I hate to think that I am doomed but it sure looks that way! Each passing year my weight just keeps climbing so I have decided that this is is! I need this tool to help me get this weight off and I am ready to get started!

Precious11788,

Wow, sounds like things are moving right along for you! You must be flooded with all kinds of emotion! My aunt had the Lap Band done 3 years ago so I was able to talk to her about her journey in deapth. She, too told me about the pre diet to shrink the liver down. I had not known about that. I won't be using the same surgeon due to insurance reasons so I won't know what to expect til I meet him this Tuesday. I really don't know what to expect at my first appointment really. I am assuming I will be sent for all the pre surgery testing?? OH also (I forgot to ask my aunt this) During your upper GI, do they put you totally out or are you in a twilight? Not too worried about it, just want to get started!!!!

I had surgery on 3/20. I'm 33 yo and weighed 255, am 5'5. My BMI was 43. So far I've lost 11 pounds and am not looking back.

My insurance didn't require a waiting period and I didn't have a pre-op weight loss diet.

Good luck!

ChristineS- I totally understand about watching your family have health issues. My mother had a massive stroke at 52, which has left her paralyzed on one side and confined to a wheelchair. My father has high blood pressure. Both have weight issues. I lost both of my grandfathers and one grandmother to heart conditions. Not to mention the countless weight related health conditions of aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. It seemed that I was destined to go down the same path. I knew I had to do something when I started having issues with GERD and back issues. I knew it was just the beginning. My doctor was very frank with me and said that although I might not have any issues now, it was just a matter of time if I did not do something about my weight. The moment that I was put on medications, I knew it was beyond time. I am already off all of my medications so first goal accomplished!!

On a side note, when my surgeon came out to talk with me after my husband's surgery, he told me that based on the amount of fat build up around the organs, he was a walking time bomb for a heart attack. Not something a 41 year old man (or his wife) wants to hear. So basically , we look at it as this is the tool to save our life...quite literally.