Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After Surgery/going Back To Work

I was just curious about something. I work at a desk job (9-5).

I was thinking when it is time for me to have surgery, to schedule it if I am able

on a Tuesday and then have til the next Monday to go back to work.

I recall when I had my gall bladder removed, (when I worked as a bank teller)

I went back to work fairly quickly (in that time frame).

Does anyone have thoughts on this?

I had my surgery on a Friday and went back to work on Tuesday. I was still a little gassy but it was bearable. Hope this helps.

Everyone is different and my surgeon requires a week for your body to heal. I am actually taking two weeks off just to make sure I am adjusted well with the food and my body is in order. My job as an engineer have me going alot even thought I sit at the desk all day I just want to make sure things are okay. My supervisor completely understood. There was one guy here who stayed out for a week.

I am having the surgery on April 3rd, Tuesday and going back the following Monday. I hope I will be fine by then. The Surgeon says that it will not be a problem...I am an executive assistant and it is mostly a sit down job. I would fear staying home longer because i know me and my bad habits. I always do well on diets when I am working...but when I am at home is when I get snacky. I guess in my case its true what they say about idle hands :)

I was banded on a Thursday morning and went back to work on Monday. I moved slowly but it wasn't bad at all. I have had 3 previous Csections, so I know from experience about the gas issues which will be the main "pain". Walk, walk , walk!!! Within a few hours after my surgery ( I stayed overnight at hospital, my choice), I asked the nurses to go ahead and let me start walking to dissipate the gas build up in the muscles. I know many have sworn by gas strips, but during all of my surgeries, I found that the more you walk, the quicker it will dissipate because it is a different type of gas than "eating gas". By that Wednesday, I took a group of 40 elementary kids on a field trip and was fine. I had some soreness at my port area, but that really showed up more at night. I used a pillow against my stomach to help move in and out of the bed for the first few days ( just like pregnancy all over :P ) I think everyone has their own pain tolerance but I have been very fortunate to not have had terrible pain. The greatest thing for me was being able to sleep back on my side and stomach at around 5 days post op!!!!!

thank you for the responses. I enjoyed reading them all.

Wow... I guess Im just tolerant to pain, but I had surgery on a Wed and went back to work the next day! I didnt take any time off at all. (except surgery day)... I didnt take the pain meds or anything but used Gas X strips to help with some bloating and uncomfort. I really really REALLY think that the sooner you are up and moving and getting around the better! It works the gas out of your system faster if you are moving. Im a teacher, So I was on my feet the whole time, walking. Was it painful...? I remember just some bit of uncomfort if I would turn too quickly or try to pick up something from the floor.. but other than that I didnt have issues. I do recall thinking that I was really kinda "out of it" on that Thursday (day after surgery) probably because the meds hadnt completely left my system... But I remember that I had something going on at school that I had to attend and needed to be there... so I did it. ( I did have my husband drive me to work that first day though...)

I have a pretty stressful desk job, I had surgery Tuesday and tried to go back the next Tuesday. I was absolutely inundated with verbal info when I walked in and stayed for 4 hours. I had to nap when I got home. It is not the pain, but fatigue. Also, at about 3 1/2 hours yesterday, my port area really started to hurt. It is still really sore today. Maybe because I am sitting up. I try to walk alot but have been on the phone TOO MUCH. Unfortunately, most calls have sensitive client information so i cannot do too much on speaker phone.

Maybe i ma just a baby. I wish I had planned for 2 weeks off.

I had surgery on Monday and went in for a half day Wednesday and back full time on Thursday. I think it depends on pain threshold and your level of fitness prior to surgery. I think I bounced back quickly. I have a very stressful management job, but it's mentally stressful not physically.

This is exactly the question that I have. I have a job that has me on my feet all day. I am not sure how much time to take. I am having surgery on a Friday. Any suggestions from people in the know who have jobs where they are on their feet?

Thanks so much

This is exactly the question that I have. I have a job that has me on my feet all day. I am not sure how much time to take. I am having surgery on a Friday. Any suggestions from people in the know who have jobs where they are on their feet?

Thanks so much

At the time of my surgery I was working 12 hour shifts on my feet. I had the major sick time built up so I believe I took 2-3 weeks off. I felt better after a few days, but tired easily. I couldn't imagine going back before 1 week. 2 weeks i felt great but because of my job, it was necessary to be able to lift. Surgery had its restrictions with lifting for a period of time afterwards..My supervisors/coworkers were all very accommodating. My suggestion would be minimum 4 days, if you have the time, use it! Like someone else said, you will be able to adjust to your new "friend" and get a routine down. I personally enjoyed the vacation time!!!

My surgeon has me off for 6 weeks. I'm on my feet all day and I have the potential to have to move/push/pull things that are over 25 lbs. I'm glad to have the time off to establish good habits and a routine.

I hoped 2 weeks but one of my incisions had opened and need dressed daily hope up be back monday 18 days after surgery. Just listen to your own body.

My surgery was on a Wednesday and I was back to work that Monday. I too have a desk job, but walking to the printer down the hall was helpful.