Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question For Alumni - Twinge From Incision

Hey guys,

I need to pick the brains of all those who were banded before me. I was banded Thursday morning (today is Sat) and today I've been much more mobile, walking etc. I haven't eaten or done anything off instructions. BUT, today everything time I move or lift my hands I get a twinge from my large incision like something is pulling. It doesn't really hurt except that it feels horrendous and makes me make a "horrid" face (my 13 year old son's words). Anyone had this? I'm assuming this is where the port is but I honestly don't know so I thought I'd put it out to you guys. I'm hoping this goes away because I'd hate to be in a business meeting and have that thing pull and make my "horrid face".

that is where your port is. The port is sutured to the muscle.

My dr gave me asupport band to wear around my abdomen. I think it really helped to hold everything in place.

Thanks guys, that makes sense, I kinda wish I had gotten a support band for my abdomen bet it helped!

Hi! I was banded on 3/7 and had the same "horrid face" pain at the larger incision. Mine has gotten better everyday, today it is mostly just a twinge. My doc said that is where the port is and that's why it hurts more. Keep your head up....by next week it will feel tons better.

I make that face when I get stuck. It helps, really it does! :) But first I have "the look" as my husband calls it.

You might be pulling a stitch. As scar tissue forms, it should get better. Unless you have a Realize Band, that port uses clamps not stitches, but the scar tissue still holds true.

Hope you are feeling better soon!!

Neekoal, I was banded on Tuesday and um struggling with horrendous pain in my shoulder, do u have this? Please help if u do as I'm literally at my limit with it :((( xx

Funny thing, I asked my surgeon's assistant if they would be providing an abdominal support velcro. She asked the surgeon and she said no and she did not recommend it. I did not ask why, but did buy a mini pillowpet to hold against my tummy and may or may not be buying the velcro support. I'm sorta leaning towards buying it, but wonder why exactly it's not recommended?

You know, I had a truss as well, now that I think back. I can't remember how long I wore it.

The hospital gave me a stuffed moose called "Barimoose" to hold against my abdomen when I coughed to clear the anesthesia.

Hello all,

I was banded this wednesday the 14th. I also have that "twingy' pain as well. I remember having something similar when I had by c-sections where the muscle had been cut and sutured back together. I don't think they like us to wear a binder because our lungs would not be able to fully expand and that could cause pnuemonia, etc (I'm nurse and I have told this info to many a heart surgery pt(:). Luckily I have not had the shoulder pain-but hang in there-it will get better. Every day for me has been better.

Good recovery to everyone

I remember that pain! It's healing and I walked kind of hunched over for about 2 weeks. I always kept a pillow on my stomache and would hold it a little tighter when I was sore and it helped a lot!

Neekoal, I was banded on Tuesday and um struggling with horrendous pain in my shoulder, do u have this? Please help if u do as I'm literally at my limit with it :((( xx

Hi Gem, I'm not having too much shoulder pain but I do have it, I stopped taking the pain pills last night and switched to Advil instead to manage the pain and honestly I think my colon woke up! I am certain that my bladder did once I stopped taking those pain pills and the Advil is getting the job done. Since then I've been able to pass gas and other imperative functions to move that gas out. I'd rather suck up the pain from my tummy then deal with the shoulder pain.

Hi Gem' date=' I'm not having too much shoulder pain but I do have it, I stopped taking the pain pills last night and switched to Advil instead to manage the pain and honestly I think my colon woke up! I am certain that my bladder did once I stopped taking those pain pills and the Advil is getting the job done. Since then I've been able to pass gas and other imperative functions to move that gas out. I'd rather suck up the pain from my tummy then deal with the shoulder pain.[/quote']

Hey gem I was banded 3/9 a week ago yesterday. I still have the shoulder pain and it's bad :-/ it seems to come with the chest gas if u google it you will see that it comes from a mere that the band is basically sitting on. Some say they have it years into there band I hope that is not true. Doctor said today it should get better :)

I had the abdominal binder on when I woke up and I recommend it to everyone...I had a fat tummy that schlumped down or to the side if I slept on my side and it would pull against my incisions...My doc said to wear it for two weeks...they are available at any drugstore...

I had asked then if I could use something like that and they told me no :-/ was going to try to just wear my spanks. Especially when I sleep and some how end up on my side and feel pulling.