Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any brain surgeons around?

Because that is what my surgeon told me yesterday at my 3-week postop visit. I did tell him that I'm a bit hungry (I'm on thin liquids for the first 3 weeks) and have occasionally indulged in fat free, but sugar loaded yogurt, he said that was not good. Then, when he told me that if I didn't lose weight I would perpetutate my fatty liver disease and need a liver transplant (!) he looked at me and said: "But you really need a brain transplant." Listen, I almost fell off the chair laughing...he is so right! But, did he really have to say it? :) I have lose 8 pounds (banded 2/2), but he said I should have lost much more than that. :omg: Live and learn and I guess. I so appreciate this forum, though, I mean, he's thin after all. And, er...it's approaching that time of month. Can't a girl keep SOME excuses?? :biggrin1:

Kelli

I probably would have laughed too, hell, I laughed when I read the your post; especially of your know he was right.

It all the depends on the rapprt you have with your doctor. My OB/GYN talks to me so bad sometimes i just look at her like :omg: .... But, i never take any offense to it. Sometimes, you have to be blunt with people; tenderness is for punks!

AS for it being "that time".. i know what you mean, i am supposed to be low fat/ low carb right now.... i am eating Thanks A Lot girl scout Cookies for and wasking it down with chocolate slim fast for Breakfast...YUMMM!

I think it was rude and unprofessional, too. Doesn't matter if he thought he was being funny...it's never a funny matter to those of us who have struggled our whole lives. And if he was serious, I'd want to kick him somewhere vital!

Emily

The joke I could take, but not the comment about not having lost fast enough. He would really hate me, I've lost 55~60 lbs in 18 months.

Sorry, I think he was right on the mark. Phen Fen 'fixed' my brain chemicals so that I didn't obsess of food. I only ate when I was hungry and stopped when I was full. For the first time in my life, and unfortunately only for 3 months before Phen was taking off the market, I felt what some 'normal' brains think like.

Even my obese medical doctor made comment one day about a message being sent to the brain telling us to eat. Ours is overactive. Someone please find a way to turn it off.

I wish I knew more and could explain myself better, but this is my story.

I hope that your surgeon meant it only in the most helpful of ways, otherwise, I'd say he was a smart ass. lol

I have to add that obesity is such a complex issue. Maybe we will never find 'the answer' for all of us, whether it be purely psychological, or behavioural, or chemical. I pray one day they do.

I'm totally on board with the brain transplant comment - I need one, too. But the disappointment in the weightloss is another matter...

:)

Aw...y'all are so sweet!!! Thank you!! My surgeon and I do not have what I would call a rapport, but he is available and direct which I happen to like. I also think he would prefer patients to get the bypass as that has (initially) better results. I tend to giggle when someone states the obvious (I mean if it weren't in my brain, I wouldn't be having surgery!). LOL.

Kelli

I'll vote for the brain transplant, also. God knows, the heart is willing, but the brain trips me up every single time. :couch2:

FYI - even after restriction. The AVERAGE weight loss for a banded patient is 5-10 lbs per month. Again, I repeat, AVERAGE. Meaning at the end of your 1st year, you may have lost from 50-100 lbs depending on your adherence to band rules, your exercise, your body's metabolism/metabolic functionality. I'd say 8lbs is pretty much right on track.. Keep up the good work!!

Leatha,

Thank you! I didn't know what the average weight loss is. That is good to know, it is encouraging! :hungry:

Kelli

Kelli,

WOW! I'm stunned our DR. would say that. What was he thinking??My weight lost has slowed ...Kristi(nutritionst) says not enough Protein...she also said normal lost should be about 3-5 lbs a week. 8 lbs is good!!

Tina

8 pounds is awesome!! Doc's just don't understand... and expect us all to follow some miracle graph, lol. :confused: Personally, if the scale stops moving upwards, it's a miracle! :confused:

I'm with ya'll on the brain transplant... I need one badly!

I am not normally one to promote drug usage but my doc as well as a Homeopathic MD that I see told me about this medication that is coming out and says it looks to be a drug to keep an eye on. (in a good way)

Rimonabant....it will be sold as Acomplia

It is designed to block the receptors that say "I need a smoke" " I need chocolate" etc....it has shown GREAT results in Europe in helping people stop smoking and in losing weight becuase it litterally shuts down the part of the brain that receives the "chemical" message that says "I have to have xy or z right now" AND it isn't having any traumatic side effects (like anal leakage...wtf was that all about? I mean seriously...we have a drug...it will make you lose weight...BUT...you may have an oily discharge from your hind end????)

For me it is nice to know that there is research being done recognizing the fact that there are some of us in the world that no matter how hard we try to lose weight some synapse isn't "firing" right in the brain when it comes to food.

www.acompliareport.com

Both my wife and I (both of us are surgeons) tell our Lap Band patients that we don't even care about their weight until the first adjustment. Most of our patients lose some weight because we ask them to be on a liquid diet post-operatively and then mushy food before transitioning back into a solid diet.

But our belief is that we shouldn't expect weight loss until an adjustment or two is made, which won't be until more than a month after surgery.

Regarding the brain transplant comment, I assume it was a joke and meant in jest. Besides, most insurance companies won't pre-authorize brain transplants without a 6 month history of medically guided attempts at gaining higher intelligence, and you must have documented a 5 year history of brain atrophy. A medical letter of necessity is also helpful, and of course you have to check to see if there is an outright exclusion on your policy.:)