Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Dr. Phill Said

Paraphrasing Dr. Phil--I heard him say that sometimes habits form for one reason and continue for another--or other reasons.

As I reach the conclusion that I do need WLS to be successful with permanent weight loss, I ponder why I got here (270 lbs.) in the first place.

I know there are a lot of threads on this topic, but it helps me to "put it out there" for comments.

I believe my THING with food started as a very young chlid. My family moved a great many times--I was in 3 different high schools 5 different times. Food was constant. Food was comfort. I definitely ate from emotions.

But now--while I do believe I eat emotionally at times, I feel I overeat mainly for a sense of PHYSICAL CALM--perhaps for a serotonin increase or what have you. I've never been on anti-depressants, but I wonder if I need to be. I don't feel sad or hopeless. I'm just tired a lot (due to weight, I'm sure) and...I don't know. I know this, though. After my c-sections, I was given Lortabs for pain. While on these, I had NO desire for food. I felt calm. I can see how people get addicted to these pain meds.

I just can't help but think that maybe we all (overeaters) have some slight chemical imbalance--some something missing that causes us to not feel satisfied on a normal amount of food.

I'd love to know how thin people feel after eating little food. I'm sure many find other food substitutes to feel calm--like nicotine or alcohol.

Ahh--I just want to feel normal. I'm near my "time" and have an incredible hunger though I'm not hungry. It's not emotional, I don't think. It's something definitely chemical/hormonal.

Any thoughts?

I know the feeling you talk about. Like the feeling I had today after I had lunch was full, by lap band standards but still hat to fight back the urge to go get some peanut M&m's out of the vending machine at work. I actually had to fight myself hard on this one.

I hope you get some answers or insight, I need them also.

There's a saying in AA and other 12 step groups.... "self knowledge avails us nothing". I don't particulary like that saying, and I think there's a great deal to be gained in self exploration; however, in a way, it makes sense.

Like you, I know (or think I know) exactly what caused my food addiction -- but that isn't what perpetuates it. So in a way, that knowledge hasn't helped cure me of my food addiction.

And, like you, I'm never "full" until I've eaten enough food for a family. The band, when it works, fixes that. It's a different "full", but it's still a message to the brain -- something I lacked pre-band.

Anyway, I'm with ya.

The "Why are you fat" thread has really explored this issue. It's probably a good thread to chew on, and add your story to, if you wish.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5223

Peace,

Jonathan

Dana -

I agree. It may not be true for everyone who's obese, but I think a good deal of obesity is hormone/physical related. Either we don't get the full signal, it's too delayed, or the body needs some sort of chemical reaction to either calm itself or jump start itself, or whatever.

I think often times it's not JUST a physical cause, but has emotional ties as well.

I have read that fat kind of takes on a life of its own, and creates hormone imbalances to help stay there.

I know that I have said for many years that food was my "drug of choice" because I definitely felt sedated after eating my binge foods.

Whether I always had a chemical need, or whether I created the chemical need I don't know, but having been banded proved to me that my eating was NOT purely emotional. I was finally free of the constant hunger signals. Being banded ALSO proved to me that my eating was NOT purely physical, as there were times when I still desired to eat even though I was definitely getting the full signals.

Sigh.

:)

Physical + Emotional = Psycho

That is exactly how I feel when I am "on sugar". There are always emotional factors out there. Abused, neglected, forgotten, used. Yeah been through all that, but I am an addict too. I am addicted to sugar. When I am "on sugar" I am an obsessive compulsive eater. I plan my next "fix". I scrape up pennies to buy a candy bar. No money??? NO Problem, those sugar packets at the coffee station are perfect.... I am sick and I eat non stop. When I am "off sugar" I am sane. Don't crave it, don't really want it, don't need it. But one bite and I am attacking things again.

I know I am a psycho sugar addicted person. So like crack/heroin addicts I have to stay away from it. One "hit" is all it takes to become a junkie. I do not like myself "on sugar"...... Splenda is my friend.

My recommendations are: 1. Take a good Multivitamin 2. Get off sugar/white flour Give it a month or two and see how you feel about food. It more than likely won't have control over you anymore even if you do have other issues. And if all else fails- try effexor. :couch2:

Hi Dana ~ I love Dr Phil and I can remember exactly when I started overeating....when I split with my fiancé. I started for one reason and continued for another. food is my comfort, it makes me feel good and it's my best friend. :rolleyes I really didn't realize how much until I went on the Optifast program last year (which didn't stick b/c now I'm getting the band) and the biggest thing I took away from that was how much I was actually "addicted" to food.

Dr. Phil also says something that gives me hope. Again, paraphrasing ....You never break bad habits, but you can replace them with new ones.

Perhaps you should talk to you PCP about your emotions b/c you don't have to feel sad or hopeless to benefit from antidepressants. I felt very irritated all the time and never had feelings of sadness....I was just mad at the world....my poor husband. :phanvan I think you are on the nose when you say overeating can have something to do with a chemical imbalance. That's not true for everyone, but it's true for me, with or without antidepressants.

I took Vicoden this past Nov after a car accident and I did experience a calmness that I would like to have more often....that stuff is goooood!! It also takes the pain away.:dance:

~Poodles~ Physical + Emotional = Psycho This was so funny that I laughed out loud and I totally agree!! :clap2:

Poodles--So, so, so true about the sugar. I know I'm addicted. It's like I don't have a good day unless I have something sweet. How sick is that?

And--3loves--I think I had vicoden after my gall bladder surgery--it was just like the lortabs for me, too,--such a calming effect.

I know all obestiy and overeating is not due to chemical imbalances, etc. But, for me, I do believe it plays a great part. I've often told people if I started smoking or drinking, that I'd probably be skinny.

No matter what brought me to this point, I must not sit in self pity and blame...I must take charge of what I've been dealt and reach for healing.

I think I might need to be on an anit-depressant for a little while. I've had three babies within four years. I have an almost 5 yr. old, an almost 3 yr. old, and an almost 1 yr. old. I think my chemicals/hormones are definitely out of whack somewhere. :couch2:

Blessings to all of you as you venture to defeat the fat. :)--and thanks for the replies.

I do know exactly what you mean about the calming effect of food. It is a great drug. Once you have the fat, for many people there is a stong genetic and hormonal drive to maintain the fat.

Oh Dana, please call you OB or your PCP about your hormones. Having babies can take it's toll on your body. Bless you heart, 3 babies in 4 yrs, you are entitled to a little sanity!! I can say that from experience b/c I had 2 within 16 mos and nursed both of them so, for 3 yrs I was either pregnant or nursing. I tried to deal with it myself, but was so glad when I finally went to my OB and he said I had PPD. The antidepressants made all the difference and I was able to enjoy my family in a way I wasn't able to b4. It was always a struggle prior to that. My hats off to you for taking on such a brave task and doing it well no doubt!! :clap2:

Hey, the Effexor suggestion is real. I have been on Wellbutrin for a long time and it did not help, so I don't recommend that one.

I have manic PMS about 5 days before I start, where I get mad, cry, etc. Literally I want(ed) to quit my job, leave my husband, and abandon my kid one day out of the month. My doctor put me on Effexor about two months ago, and it has been the best thing EVER. I still get a little angry. But, at least I don't cry uncontrollably.

Most people do self medicate with food, sugar especially, but you can try an antidepressant and see if that helps. You can always get off of them if they don't, so you have nothing to lose... but mood swings. :confused:

I'd be happy to split my Xanax pills with you Sue. I think being without Valium or Xanax is a disability for sure. :confused:

Poodles--

I was telling my husband, Mom, and OBGYN nurse that I really believe I have something out of whack--especially 7-10 days before my period. I am seriously CRAZY about 7 days before--anxious, easily irritated, etc. I didn't know the term for it--but now I do--Manic PMS?

I've heard that they have a Prozac that you can take just for a few days around this horrible PMS time. Have any of you used that?

I definitely think I need to be on something. Thanks for the suggestion of Effexor. I think I'll ask my doc. about that one.

I have been on Prozac before, it helped a little bit.

My doctor put me on Zoloft a few days before that time to see if it worked for me but Zoloft helps a little too well (can you say zombie?). And then you have no help the rest of the month either.

Wellbutrin helps to see your issues. Meaning that I knew it was PMS, and knew it would go away, but it did not help with it.

My sister is bi-polar and they put her on Effexor. I thought I needed to be tested for that, and so I was, but I am not (husband says jury is still out on that though...:P) I just have horrible "manic pms". The past two months have been the best. Like I said, I still get a little mad at stupid people but no crying. It helps with everyday issues as well. I would kill or die for my Effexor now. So get your own.... :scared:

Poodles--

Does Effexor make you feel calmer? Does it help with nerves? You know that irritable feeling--you could just scream at anyone who comes your way...

Does it help with that?

That's what I really need--Something to calm my nerves.