Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Does Being "stuck" Feel Like?

I Love it and your description is perfect... Well worth it in the end... and becomes so norm... sometimes I think a pair sissors would come in handy in the bathroom.. Im being gross now sorry.. LOL

Imagine a rock stuck in your stomach with an unending stream of white slime growing out of it. Seriously, it's like re-enacting a scene from Rosemary's Baby... The funny thing is the inevitability of occasional experiences like this is actually worth it for the weight loss!

So what all do your eat... without shakes, I do chili and shakes.. women of habit. LOL

I've been banded 4 years now. Typical day... Yogurt or grahams w/peanut butter for b-fast. lunch is half a sandwich, quesadilla, salad, or enriched noodles. dinner is a meat dish, with veggie side, and a starch side if there is room left. I also eat cheese for Snacks.

Imagine a rock stuck in your stomach with an unending stream of white slime growing out of it. Seriously, it's like re-enacting a scene from Rosemary's Baby...

Oh my gosh! I watched that movie one night when working the night shift, alone, on an airport with mirrored windows overlooking the ramp and runway. When lights were on inside, you could not see outside very well.

So, I am watching the moving, doing nothing, being scared, when a spot light comes in through the windows right in my eyes!!!

I about pooped my pants. It was the police doing rounds. They'd never shined the light into the building before..sheesh

Did James Bond edit his post about the scissors??? Well, I actually tried it. Didn't work. The slime stuck to the scissors and stretched with them to the counter, then continued back down into the sink. I was leaning over the kitchen sink at the time. What a mess.

Also James....beware of auto-flush toilets. DH wanted to know why I had washed my face and bangs in the bathroom at PF Changs. 'nuf said.

To stop back splash into the eye in a public toilet, put a seat protector into the Water before yaking up the stuck item. IF you have time. Yes, the splash from a stuck item is perfectly aligned to hit you in the eye.

I've been banded 4 years now. Typical day... Yogurt or grahams w/peanut butter for b-fast. lunch is half a sandwich, quesadilla, salad, or enriched noodles. dinner is a meat dish, with veggie side, and a starch side if there is room left. I also eat cheese for Snacks. Sounds like you are doing fantastic!!! Wow I'm impressed you are the ideal example of a perfect bander.. My problem is I somehow haven't gotten down to the bottom of my true eatting disorder.. I believe buried deep beneath all this now skin of mine are some serious issues..Stillk stuggling after 2 years out

Oh my gosh! I watched that movie one night when working the night shift, alone, on an airport with mirrored windows overlooking the ramp and runway. When lights were on inside, you could not see outside very well.

So, I am watching the moving, doing nothing, being scared, when a spot light comes in through the windows right in my eyes!!!

I about pooped my pants. It was the police doing rounds. They'd never shined the light into the building before..sheesh

OMG I am dying here.. I have to admit i have tried to grab for objects.. I Love this site why I didn't sign on two years ago I'll never know.. One thing I know is though I have accomplished nothing since!! Work I mean LOL

Did James Bond edit his post about the scissors??? Well, I actually tried it. Didn't work. The slime stuck to the scissors and stretched with them to the counter, then continued back down into the sink. I was leaning over the kitchen sink at the time. What a mess.

Also James....beware of auto-flush toilets. DH wanted to know why I had washed my face and bangs in the bathroom at PF Changs. 'nuf said.

To stop back splash into the eye in a public toilet, put a seat protector into the Water before yaking up the stuck item. IF you have time. Yes, the splash from a stuck item is perfectly aligned to hit you in the eye.

To find people who are would understand this gross predicament

I prefer to do it in a sink if possible (to exactly avoid that toilet backsplash!) however when in public, not always convenient!! Haven't had a toilet facial yet (luckily; cuz I do PB frequently in public toilets unfortunately <_< )

I prefer to do it in a sink if possible (to exactly avoid that toilet backsplash!) however when in public' date=' not always convenient!! Haven't had a toilet facial yet (luckily; cuz I do PB frequently in public toilets unfortunately <_< )[/quote']

I'm loving this thread. It's like true life confessions of Public PBers... :)

I prefer to do it in a sink if possible (to exactly avoid that toilet backsplash!) however when in public, not always convenient!! Haven't had a toilet facial yet (luckily; cuz I do PB frequently in public toilets unfortunately <_< )

I have had some serious close calls.. a new meaning for powdering our noses... I just need to go powder my nose... means ...

Oh yes.....unfortunately most places I eat out, I usually get stuck. If I have to use the toilet and someone else is in the bathroom, I flush first. I'm such an old pro at it, I only have to bend at the waist and cough. Don't need to get on my knees or even crouch down. :blink:

Shauna, putting a seat cover down in the Water really reduces backsplash. It's a trick I learned here at LBT. I am now more careful with autoflush. I just don't stick my head so close to the bowl. It is hard not to trigger them, as the movement causes it.

I've been known to use the bushes in the back of restaurants if the place is busy. I get weirded out at the thought of people thinking I am anorexic or something. I can usually urp quietly, but every once in a while...YAK. Then I fear they will see my feet pointed backwards..Guys are lucky in that sense. ;)

I'm loving this thread. It's like true life confessions of Public PBers... :)

This is what it all comes down too LOL... Who else could you carry on a conversation and experience like this!! Love It!! Getting absolutely nothing done for day 2 though..

For all the newbie banders out there I hope we have answered all your questions of "What Does Being Stuck Feel Like" If not please forward any ques. to this thread because we have the true pros of What Does Stuck Feel Like"

This is what it all comes down too LOL... Who else could you carry on a conversation and experience like this!! Love It!! Getting absolutely nothing done for day 2 though..

I've been stuck more times that I would like. It's all been my fault. I'm working on it though.

Sometimes the papaya enzymes work, sometimes they don't. Sometimes the jumping (or doing the chicken dance) works, sometimes it doesn't. I've also tried the pineapple juice...just a warning though, it tastes worse coming back up!! Almost nothing worse than (tmi warning!!) pineapple juice vomit. Blech.

Most of my issues are either first bite syndrome or when I don't chew/take a small enough bite. And I've learned that if I'm stuck due to not chewing or taking a large bite, I can GUARANTEE that I will continue to be stuck the rest of the day if I try to eat food...I find that I MUST go to liquids the rest of the day. If i dont pay attention to this, everything i try the rest of the day will come back up. Dealt with this yesterday.

If I get stuck from the first or second bite, then once it goes down or comes back up, I'm ok to eat like I'm supposed to for the rest of the day. It's almost like my band gives me a warning to really slow down.

I'm one of the weird ones that never slime before it comes back up...once I get stuck, I can cough it out and get the slime only then. Usually it comes (the mucus) out my nose, again tmi, so I make sure to take napkins/baby wipes with me at all times. And for me I've only pb'd over the sink. Too scared because of the auto flush feature to try the toilet. Last week I got stuck at church and didn't want everyone to see me at the sink, so I made sure to take an empty cup into the restroom stall with me and pb'd into that and then flushed the gunk.

Being stuck is no fun. But for most of us, its part of the learning curve of being banded. What everyone else has said about how it feels is right. It's painful. Rock in your chest.

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

I just read through this thread. We should put a warning for new banders. I hope they don't get the idea that we do this all the time. I surely don't.

Too bad we aren't talking about having sex in the bathroom rather than getting food dislodged so we can eat, talk, drink, etc., again. But that would be a different website.

I had my first band placed in May 2008, it slipped and I had another band placed in November 2009. It will be four years in May that I have been dealing with the band. I really do think most of the time its me as some one mentioned above. I don't eat small enough amounts, choosing a food that I know will cause me problems, eat too fast, talk at the same time, etc.

Sometimes I must tell you that it can be the food. Sometimes I eat the same food over and over again. No problems. Then one day, I get stuck despite the fact that I am eating slow, small amounts, etc.

I hope to God that someday all these things will be resolved. Hopefully, there will be a cure for obesity that doesn't require surgery or these day to day struggles we have. Despite it all, its the BEST way I have ever taken weight off and maintained it.

People who have gastric bypass and sleeve have been known to have this problem too. My surgeon has suggested my having the sleeve because she thinks I need a revision to lose more weight. Many people who converted from band to sleeve, say they don't get food stuck like they did with the band.

I want to tell you the MOST embarrassing moment I had with this (since we are all revealing our deep dark secrets) was having lunch with my dear friend and co-worker and I cough and the food came up! Thank goodness I had my napkins ready and was fast. We both laughed but I thought I would die and I wanted to climb under the table. No one else know but my friend. I was having Soup and I think when we were talking so much I wasn't paying attention to how fast I was eating.

Another time, I was riding with another co-worker to work. I had a Protein shake at home but drank it not as slow as I would like. On the way to work there are all kinds of curves (its a canyon), lo and behold up comes my shake. Luckily, my friend had a small towel in the car and that really helped! I was embarrassed. She said it could have happened to her. She doesn't have the band but she said sometimes people do get sick. I always admired these two co-workers after that. I was really grossed out but they helped me handle it gracefully.

Edited by ellendeette