Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Do You Handle Eating Out?

PB or coughing up the stuck food and spitting it out

Cheri

I have been banded since 12/13 and still finding out what does and doesn't get stuck. I also just got back from vacation and having to eat out every day. It was tricky but like others said I looked online at the menues before we went and I ate ALOT of seafoodand veggies it all went down easy. Outback and Ruby Tuesdays have great salmon if you like that and the portions are smaller. If I get a meal that is too big to finish a to go box works great and I usually have it for my next meal. You will learn soon enough what will and won't go down easy and always know where the bathroom is when eating out you never know when something will get stuck.

Is it wrong that I am so jealous of all you people that get stuck eating this and that and are therefore forced to watch what you order?

I can eat ANYTHING. I hate it. I am a little over five weeks out and there is nothing, but nothing that I can't eat.

Now, I don't eat much but I hate the fact that I can have whatever I feel like. I really wanted to just get sick and puke if I so much as tried pizza or hamburger. No such luck.

My husband and I eat out alot so this is an interesting topic for me. I really appreciate what everyone has suggested. I do many of those things too.

It does really help if you know the menu ahead of time. I even go online before I go to a restaurant I have not been to before to plan my meal ahead of time. We go to many of the same restaurants over and over again so I kind of know what I am going to order because it works for me.

There is a restaurant chain that my husband goes to that seems to have only burgers. Burger meat has to be cooked just the right way and good meat for it to work. You can take off the bun and wrap lettuce around it. I do that at In and Out burger. I ask for it without the bun and then they wrap the burger meat, Tomato, onion and special sauce around the lettuce. That way, you hold the burger with the wrapped lettuce. They have a special name for it but I can't think of it right now.

Another alternative at this burger place my husband likes is to order chili. Chili seems to be a mushy food for me. Also, this place has burgers that are way too big for me (half pounders).

I went to the Outback today. I love their salads and Soups. Sometimes just a small dinner salad or a cup of Soup (not a bowl) works. Its a good day if I can have both. Lately, I like their grilled scallop dinner. It comes with grilled scallops, grilled veggies, grilled pineapple, and rice. I always seem to take a box home and have it for another meal or my husband will eat it for lunch the next day. It helps to have tarter sauce for the scallops. It seems to help slide it down. I just have a little rice.It has to be the right texture of rice too. It can be tricky so I eat just a little. When I eate the grilled pineapple (or steak for that matter), I slice it very thin with a sharp knife. I have ordered prime rib there. Its usually very tender and again, I slice it very thin and very small pieces.

I find when I go out to eat in a group or with friends, that I talk too much while I eat and don't notice as much about the sizes of food I am eating or eating slow enough (even if I concentrate on it) so I end up just drinking most of the meal with my friends and then plan to eat before I go out or after I get home. No one seems to mind if I just tell them I am not that hungry. Sometimes I will eat at home before and then have dessert with my friends. I sometimes will have mousse or some mushy type of dessert.

I have a friend at work that I split meals with. We will even split the salad. We ask the server to split it and to put it on two plates. My husband is a big eater and he isn't big on sharing his food.

This is great!! I will be banded on March 9th and was wondering what to do,especially when we are traveling on May 1st for a week holiday..My eyes are always bigger than my belly but it is good to hear this stuff..I feel a bit more prepared and aware..This is what I signed up for, it is time to learn and adapt the new way..A glass of wine and an appy sounds good, or a bowl of soup.,, Then when I get home it will be time for a fill..

Thanks for your input!

Here is an example. I went out last night to Pickle Barrel in Toronto. I had a glass of wine as I usually do when out (often it loosens me a little, and plus I love wine!). I ordered some edamame to start and share (good Protein source!) and then an entree from their healthy menu, which was 2 small sundried Tomato burgers (no bun) and "smashed" potatos (basically a couple of small red skin potatos smashed on the plate). It also came with asparagus.

About 4 edamame Beans in, I was stuck. For the rest of the night. It sucked. I have leftovers for days though! (BTW I know I am too tight and am going for a defill on Thursday).

Lately, I have been on a Pei Wei kick. I order the black bean chicken without rice or I will have one of their new Diner select meals. (Diner select is a smaller portion than the regular entree.) I will try anything that doesn't have a breaded and fried Protein.

If we go out to a restaurant, I will order an appetizer and request that it be served with the table's Entrees. I will also order a chicken or seafood entree and take half of it home.

I do not look at menus online first. This isn't a diet; this is my life. I am learning how to make better choices everyday and with every meal for the rest of my life.