Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-banders unite!!!

My band date is April 3rd. I am thrilled to finally get this done. I was sched. last July and bailed out to try the medically supervised diet, all i can say is "YEAH RIGHT like that works!" I, as of today, have sucessfully gained back everything I lost plus 10.

Currently my biggest fears:

1 I might be pregnant- I go to doc. friday for lab test. :baby: NOT a planned event! I am hoping things are just messed up from gaining weight so fast.

2 I won't stop gaining weight until my surgery. I am now up to my highest weight ever and I show no signs of stopping. I really don't want to double my work load all month, resulting in having to work that much harder post op. :violin:

I keep having last supper syndrome especially since I got my surgery date.

The funny thing is I actually asked my doc. how much weight I could lose and still have the surgery. He chuckled and said as long as I didn't come back weighing 130 pounds he would still do it.

AAHHH someone smack me, I feel crazy right now! :help:

I went to the Dr. today (Birmingham, Alabama) and had all my test done. I will know tomorrow of a specific date, they said around April 1st. I am so excited but also very nervous. I am worried about loose skin after I loose the weight, I am scared about the band eroding and then I have to pay another 5,000 or so to have it removed and then I am just out 20,000 dollars all together.That is my main fear. I am really struggling with why I would be willing to pay 15,000.00 for a Lap Band when I could just stop eating and have the same affect. But it's obvious that I can't do that. Does anyone understand this or feel the same way? Insurance does not pay so it is all out of pocket for me. I know that it is going to change my life and so on.. I just don't want to make the wrong decision. I know that I am not, but what if, what if, that is all I keep thinking about. I told my mom that if I died during surgery, to tell everyone that I went in for Gal(sp) Blatter Surgery.

Over all I can't wait! My husband is excited and I am too. I am just a worry wart, If you could not already tell!

Feel free to email me. dsgreen@htcnet.net

It may sound weird to some, but I have this fear that God will let me die on the operating table because I didn't have enough faith in him to let him show me the way out of food addiction. I think of this sometimes.

I am more afraid of ending up like my parents. A medical mess before they're even 60 from the effects of obesity. Hence the surgery.

I'm afraid that I'll change into someone that my wonderful husband of 5 years doesn't recognize or like.

I'm afraid of turning into one of those skinny b*tches that have made my life miserable since High School.

I'm afraid of being that fat b*tch that has been so miserable since High School.

I'm afraid I'll never be able to share my banding with my family. Such a big thing to have to keep from your closest relatives.

I don't want to be sitting on the side of my bed on my 43rd birthday grieving the "loss" of my thirties like I did on my 33rd birthday grieving the "loss" of my twenties (I spent my twenties fat and I know it caused me to miss out on many things that I can't get back.)

I'm afraid that I'll be wrong and my family will be right and the surgery won't work. That would make me feel like the biggest failure. ( I casually mentioned the procedure to feel them out and...:omg: )

I'm afraid that I'll be right and my family will be wrong and when the surgery works that they won't like me anymore(even though they love me)

I'm afraid that if I die on the table that they won't care or miss me.

I'm afraid for this to not work because I feel like its my last chance.:think

I'm afraid of a band malfunction and losing it after all Ive done to get it.

I'm afraid that I'll change so much that I won't know how to relate to the world anymore.

I hear you, on some many things. I feel that some of my life has passed me by too, and that is why I will not regret one more day of being fat and not liking myself. Do this for you and know you will be stronger and healthier for it.

I am getting banded on Monday, Feb 27th by Dr. Spivak...and I am just excited...not nervous or worried at all. I had my gallbladder removed 13 years ago using this same sort of procedure with no complications. I have been in the operating room as a circulating nurse for 100's of more complicated surgeries as well, so I am not afraid in the least. I have complete confidence in Dr. Spivak. I am telling most people I am having my hiatel hernia repaired (which is true, he'll repair it at the same time)....only a few close friends and family know the rest of the story. Good luck to everyone!!

Hey Rox, congrats and good luck! Make sure you keep us posted.. esp the fellow Spivakers!

Boo: I am completely where you are. That's why I am trying to start the post band diet now- you know, no liquids with meals etc. That gives me a few weeks to get used to the idea before I have the surgery. It is not an easy transition now, so it was a good thing I began early. By the time the big day comes I will be ready to walk the walk.

I have also struggled with the fact that I failed to lose weight the old fashioned way. I have been overweight all my life, and at 37 years old I have gained and lost so much weight over my lifetime it is not even funny. I was resisting surgery because of that feeling of failure, but I finally decided that my health was so much more important. I don't have anything horrible yet, but if I do not make changes I can see myself developing heart disease, diabetes etc. My family has a long history of such issues related to weight, and I do not want to continue the trend. I think we just need to focus on following the instructions and allowing ourselves the right to do something that will make us happy (and healthy).

I have also struggled with the fact that I failed to lose weight the old fashioned way. I have been overweight all my life, and at 37 years old I have gained and lost so much weight over my lifetime it is not even funny. I was resisting surgery because of that feeling of failure, but I finally decided that my health was so much more important. I don't have anything horrible yet, but if I do not make changes I can see myself developing heart disease, diabetes etc. My family has a long history of such issues related to weight, and I do not want to continue the trend. I think we just need to focus on following the instructions and allowing ourselves the right to do something that will make us happy (and healthy).

I SO understand this feeling of failure. I have not failed at anything in my life except losing and maintaining my loss. I really feel as though my genes, my brain chemicals work against me, or I'd have this solved. The ONLY time in my life I have felt 'normal' was when I was on Phen Fen. I didn't obsess on food, I didn't eat unless my body told me I was hungry. I really feel i t is all in the brain chemicals. My obese medical doctor agrees and I love her for that.

I feel as though the lap band will physically restrict our intake, but we will still need to work hard on our behaviours and brain messages.

Probably not a popular belief, but I feel it is true for me. Also overweight all my life, also have many women, mother, aunts, grandmothers who just could not attain a healthy weight and maintain it.

I really think it is time we stop torturing ourselves and feeling like failures and accept the help offered to us.

I will have my first consult with the doctors on 4/3. Same day will have psych eval and nutrition eval; and that night sleep study. Then after all those are done and blood work done...I will get a surgery date! :clap2:

I am afraid of waking up in recovery and not being able to breathe through my nose (I am addicted to Afrin nose spray...have been for years...every time I try to get off it....I get a bad cold and can't stand for no nose to stop up....I get panic attacks!). :nervous

I am afraid of PB ing in public. :embarassed:

I am dreading not being able to drink with meals because I have a really dry mouth and food sticks in my mouth:help:

I am looking forward to getting my life back, looking normal in clothese again and running into friends who no longer say "Wow, you sure have gained weight!) I used to be on the thin side :)

Paulax: I know what you mean about feeling normal while on the meds. I used Redux for about half a year and then phentramine for about a year. Each time I could sit at a table loaded with my favorite foods and eat normally. I lost weight, but the moment I was off the meds it came back so quickly. I know my eating is triggered by stress, so I have a lot of work to do in order to short-circuit that response.

If you have any successes in the behavior modification area I am all ears.

I joined last summer, but haven't made up my mind yet. My insurance doesn't cover anything for weight loss. Actually, I'm working on an island near the philippines and so, I'm planning to have, whatever I decide on, done their. It would be much too expensive to fly back to the states. Also, they are doing something called the bibb. Different procedure, non-invasive, not approved in the states yet. It is like putting a balloon in your stomach. Last for about 6 months, much cheaper then the lap. Anyone else hear of this? I think they have started studies on it in the states, but I'm not sure. I guess it is pretty common in some countries and pretty cheap too.

It is probably going to be next December before I have the money saved for whatever I decide on. I have a big trip planned in September which is going to drain my account. So, December is probably the earliest that I can do anything. Recovery is a lot faster with the bibb too. They want you to stay over-night for observation, but that isn't considered necessary. I'd feel more comfortable with it though.

The balloon wears out in six months and has to be removed. Figured I could do this 3 or 4 times and not spend the same as the lap would cost.

I'm nervous about spending so much money and possibly not having the results I desire. I weigh about 220lbs and need to get down to about 140. My hubby is not at all crazy about the thought of me spending $10,000 on weight loss surgery. I notice everyone else keeps mentioning $15,000. What am I missing? Or does that include airfare.

I was VERY disappointed I didn't get to go to Mexico (Dr. Ortiz) and get banded in December. I have a flight booked for March 21, but am still not sure if it's going to happen. We are desperately trying to get out of debt. It's a little difficult to think of paying off debt then creating $10,000 more that quickly. But I am so miserable.

I also wonder how this procedure will affect my relationship with my husband. He is not the most supportive individual as it is (although HE really thinks he is!). He is already very insecure, I'm not sure he would be able to handle me at 140lbs!!!! He says he is supportive but doesn't really put forth any effort into helping make it happen for me. I've got to do what works best for me though. I spend a lot of time trying to make my family happy. At 39 years of age, it's time for me to do something for myself. My hubby thinks this is bad, wait until I tell him about the boob job I intend to get also!!!!! hahahaha! :couch2:

great thread! I haven't even had my consult yet; however they sent a list of homework, so I have had my psych eval; my pulmonary eval. and am scheduled for nutritionist and endocrinologist in early and mid march. My consult is next firday, 3/3/06....I am reallhy anxious.

My biggest fear is that it will jst be one more failed attempt! I am trying to think positively, I can lose the weight, hell, I have lost the same 50 pounds six time, I just think the band will provide a tool for assisting me in keeping it off.....I just want to go to the beach with my daughter this summer!

I have my second consult for lap band March 13th. My first was in 2004 and I chickened out. My insurance company is pretty tough about the surgery, so I already have financing set up just in case. I AM getting this surgery, period.

I'm not scared of much. I am pretty excited actually.

As for my cover story? I'm not hiding it from anyone. I'm excited and proud. I do know someone who did though and I didn't quite understand it. She didn't really work her band though and stopped getting fills. She didn't lose much. I WANT people to know. That way I WILL feel the pressure to stay on the program and work my band.

I had my consult with Dr. Spivak on the 17th. They really make things work out so smoothly. I am very blessed, my insurance is paying 100% or I would not be able to have the surgery. I have some pre-op tests to do next week, then we will go back to the insurance company for a surgery date. I am scared sometimes and really excited other times. I just want this done so I can start loosing weight.

I have been on every diet imaginable, just lie everyone else. I always seem to loose a little weight, but I don't have the willpower to keep it off. I am hoping the band will give me what I need to keep it going. I too, believe that knowing that some friends and relatives are watching me will help me stay working with my band. It would be awful to go through all this and not come out a success story! I really want to be a great success story!:confused:

I am also preband, I go meet with the Doctor and schedule surgery on Tuesday can't wait... I have been waiting for a year to get the band and cannot wait to start on my journey...

Hello, my name is Poodles and I am a prebander...

March 1st will be my 6 month supervised weight loss completion date. I have all other things done. My insurance wants 12 months, so I am going to hold my breath and send in a "please approve me" letter.

My biggest fear is erosion... and that I will be the one that can't lose weight with the band.

I really need this, so I hope my insurance company will help me. I need the help.