Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh Boy Oh Boy I Wish

I am 72 pounds down and when I look in the mirror all I see is a thinner face. I want to see a difference in the body as well........is this a mental thing?

The first thing to look thin on me was my face. people noticed that but not weight loss anywhere else. Just this past week people have mentioned to me about the rest of me. My niece said to me yesterday....you're melting! So I know others can notice so even though I am not so aware of it other than my face apparently it does appear that way to others. It took me losing 42lbs to notice. I see you are at 219...congrats!

I am stuck at 220!

The face is typically where weight loss is noticed first. i do think it's in your head a bit. Your body must look differrent with a 72 pound weight loss. The psychologist at my surgeons office suggested I take a picture once a month. I did it in my bathing suit. I would look at the every once in a while. It helped some, but of course there are times I see the fat girl in the mirror. It takes time for our brain to catch up with the body. You are doing great!

I've been having the same problem, except I don't "see" the weight loss anywhere. I've lost 74 pounds and all I see is the same chubby face, big belly, flabby arms, and thunder thighs. The only time I see a difference is when I look at old pictures of myself, but it's still hard for me to grasp the concept of how much thinner I am. Everyone keeps telling me how great I look, but my brain hasn't caught up to my new body yet.

I must agree...When people tell me I am melting away, I am like do you not see this belly or these thighs?? Yes they are a lot smaller because I have lost a decent amount of weight, but I do not see it yet. I guess it takes time.

Definitely a mental thing. We are used to being fat so long our brains are programmed.

People are now asking me when am I going to stop loosing? You look good right where you are. But when I look in the mirror, I don't see it. Not sure what I'm supposed to see.

you must take pictures of self to see the difference, my thing is clothes, I see how my old clothes droop on me, and I am only 28 lbs out (but also 4-10)... My belly still big- so maybe you are only concentrating on one area of your body?I think also the inside is been broken down but the skin and make up of body still the same. My arms still big, but now flabby,, still look big, just no fat in them. so I still look the same..need to sculpure my body with exercise.

This journey we are on is not for the weak!!!! Even after being banded for 3.5 years I still sometimes have the fat mentality. I have benn living through maintenance for a very long time and it is work!!!! I am getting a face/neck lift in the morning and the doctor told me he would do such and such "because I was THIN!!!" I looked at him and thought, "A handsome doctor (Plastic Surgeon) thinks I am thin?" HOLY MOLY what a rush!!!!! Take and use every non scale and scale victory to gradually re program your mind and by the time you get to maintenance you will be golden!!!!!

Best wishes,

Mimi

I totally get what you are saying. Only two people have noticed my weight loss, my banker and my doctor. Everyone else (my kids, co-workers, family) see/say nothing. My brother-in-law said I look tired and how's that for feedback! It is discouraging when I don't see anything and no one else does either. By the way, I have plateaued at 210 for the last two weeks, which adds to the discouragement. Oh well, enough of the pity party...back to losing weight!

Girl I totally understand! It's extremely hard... even though i went from a size 20 and now I'm in size 12. But there's nothing like going into a store and getting to pick out anything you want because you can fit it all! It's a great feeling. Your doing well. Keep up the hard work!!

I've gone from a 28 to a 10 and I still have a hard time wrapping my head around it.

Definitely a mental thing. We are used to being fat so long our brains are programmed.

People are now asking me when am I going to stop loosing? You look good right where you are. But when I look in the mirror, I don't see it. Not sure what I'm supposed to see.

it's nice(for lack of a better word) to see guys having the same issue. i know that this whole weight loss this is SOOOOO mental. i can see it when i look at pics of myself, but when i look in the mirror i still see the old me. wonder if i'll ever see myself as thin?

jennifer

Thank you everyone for your responses! I get many comments from co-workers about my loss and when I get home from work I lose the clothes look in the mirror and think to myself what the heck are they talking about. I will admit that I have bought smaller clothes and the scale is continuously going down, but in the mirror (naked)..............whoa! A different story. As some have posted maybe my mind just needs to catch up with my body. Everyone be blessed and best wishes on your individual journeys.

It's hard to see the big picture when you've seen yourself in the mirror every morning. Even my husband says it's hard for him to realize how much weight I've lost bc he sees me every day. When we look back @ old pics is when it hits home!

Your use to seeing you..

Go by your cloths size, and you will know if your shrinking or not. Sometimes thats better then the scale.< /p>