Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Sabotaging Myself, Any Advice?

I am starting to get close to getting surgery. I have my nutritional evaluation and then approval from my insurance and I will be ready to go. The problem is I am not thinking about this correctly. I need to be losing 14 lbs before my surgery but all I keep thinking about is how some foods I may never be able to eat again, pizza for example. Since I keep thinking about how i may never get pizza or sushi or whatever I just keep eating it. Did anyone else have this problem?

I am a military wife so we move a lot. When I go back home I tend to eat a lot of food that I can't get where we live now. Things like white castle and waffle house, things that are pretty unhealthy. I just reasoned with myself that I would eat it while I was home because I wouldn't be able to eat it again for at least a year. I may be going back home this summer and I hope to have my band by then and I am afraid I won't be able to handle the temptations. It doesn't help that my 100lb (literally) sister can eat whatever she wants and she stays tiny. She tend to encourage the fast food eating. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

I thought about that before having surgery too. But you know what? Almost every fast food place has healthy options. I just make a point to look at the nutritional info for a place before I go there and know what I am going to eat. And I do still eat pizza. I make my own occassionally on super thin pita bread with turkey pepperoni and it's good. I have also had pizza from Pizza hut, they have a crunchy thin crust that is much lower in calories too. I don't deprive myself of much. I look at the calorie count and go from there.

I had my own period of mourning the foods I wouldn't be able to eat anymore. But I will be honest and tell you what your nutritionist would kill me for telling you: YOU WILL BE ABLE TO EAT pizza AND WHITE CASTLE. Ok, now that we put that bit of dirty truth on the table, I will tell you that my ability and desire to inhale an entire large pizza and a half-pound burger and large fries is completely gone. I share the 1/3 pound burger with my two kids (I eat a quarter of it and usually have to ditch the top of the bun) and eat maybe 5 fries before I feel the restriction of the band kick in. I used to love pizza but I don't really enjoy eating it that much anymore because it is hard to eat. I kind of eat like a toddler now. I sort of pick at my food and after a few bites I say "I'm not hungry anymore." It really used to bug me when my kids did that. smile.png

I do the same thing as wannabe!

Being an military wife is a tough job, I know I used to be one. Now I am an Army Momsmile.png With all the stress involved and the moving, yes it can wreck havick on your emotions and your health. I have had my band for almost a month and I have seen such a huge difference in the way I see food now. It is almost like having a baby again, where you are constantly aware that you have to take care of it. But this time it is you that you are taking care of. Something alot of people tend to forget at times.

Before my surgery, I admit I did partake in my favorite meals, thinking I will miss this so much. Now, I catch myself paying attention to everything I eat and the portions and looking for recipe ideas on this site and others. In a way thats good because, I am now taking the time to plan my meals, where before I took the easy Drive thru route alot. As you will find out, their isn't a whole lot you can eat at a fast food drive through anymore, except maybe refried Beans, which is good at the soft mushie stage. Great source of Protein to. After loosing 22# in a month, that in itself is reason to enjoy this new life. I'm looking forward to my next shopping trip to.lol

I am due for my first fill next week, honestly I know I am due for one to. At first I was hardly ever hungry and had to force myself to eat, but now I know it's time for a fill, because the growling in my stomach is back. I think by writing everything I eat down and go to my weekly weigh in's keeps me honest and holds me accountable. Just find something that works for you and good luck to you.

My doctor believes that I should be able to eat normal food just less of it. Yesterday I went out for my birthday and ordered a single serving thin crust pizza and gave half of it away to my super thin niece and my brother in law. Note two things birthday and gave away half. I used to be the kind of person who ate pizza EVERY DAY and would eat most of a small pizza. Now it's more of a celebratory meal.

I second that you can usually find lower calorie choices at fast food restaurants. Once a week I go to Denny's for brunch and order egg whites (ask for limited fat for the cooking), turkey bacon and whole wheat pancakes. I do use Syrup. It's my treat for the week.

I have to laugh because when I was in the preop stage one of the things my nutritionist said was that if I was for example out shopping it didn't matter what I decided to eat, that I could get a slice of pizza from the food court if I wanted. I was going to be eating a lot less and 1 slice of pizza would not be a dietbreaker.

Maybe I'm lucky to have a nut that was "honest" and is not going to send out the hitman

I can and do eat everything so the times I ate those last suppers before being banded were not needed...you will be able to eat one slider or maybe a half slice of pizza no problem...

I had that sad farewell feeling too. Honestly, it wasn't necessary. Now that I am on regular food, I am able to pretty much eat whatever I want, within moderation of course. The only thing you will have to say goodbye to after you get the band is overeating. I thought that would be a huge deal for me, since I am the type of person who just loves to taste food in my mouth and will keep eating to get that enjoyment. It really hasn't been. I eat pizza (yes, even regular crust pizza), burgers (no bun, wrap in lettuce), etc. and gain the satisfaction of the taste plus the satisfaction of fullness AND weight loss!!! I do make sure that if I eat these less-than-desirable food I still keep below 1200 calories a day. I am not yet in the green zone (2 weeks out from my first fill and losing restriction already =/) and am losing weight by sticking to the Portion Control and maximum calorie limit.

You can do it!

All of these replies are making me feel better. Thanks everyone.

Another thing I worry about is how i am going to handle not eating much but still make full meals for my husband. Should I just for example take a whole chicken breast and divide it into 3 pieces and use it for 3 meals for myself and just keep making him a normal portion?

You might find that chicken breast really hard to eat. You will probably find that chicken thighs are a lot easier.Make sure you choose nice moist cooking methods as dry food such as grilled chicken breast can cause you lots of discomfort.

I buy food in packs and generally cook the whole pack - I serve my Dh,DS and DD bigger portions than me and if there is any food leftover it either goes in the fridge for the next day, or on DSs sandwiches for school or if it is a lot I might freeze it.

Actually my husband is really good with this new meal planning. He has supported me from day 1 and understands that at times this can be really hard on me, so we cook just enough for that meal. I know what I am capable of eating and I just make a little more for him. so far it has worked out pretty good. If there is a day he wants something that he knows i can't have, we make separate meals that day. so far so good. It's easy when you have your love ones onboard with you.

Actually my husband is really good with this new meal planning. He has supported me from day 1 and understands that at times this can be really hard on me, so we cook just enough for that meal. I know what I am capable of eating and I just make a little more for him. so far it has worked out pretty good. If there is a day he wants something that he knows i can't have, we make separate meals that day. so far so good. It's easy when you have your love ones onboard with you.

Couldn't agree more that it is easier with family onboard to support you through the rough journey! Thankfully my husband and I got banded the same day, so we are both enduring the same torture right now. LOL.

LittleAmberofky - everything I have looked at previously said that dark meats are typically easier, but that a simple marinade can make a world of difference on chicken breast too - keeping it moist and easier to swallow. :) You can do it, I know you can! Thankfully all of us on this site are going through, or have endured these same struggles!