Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is It The Band, Or Just Me?

Hi,

I'm not sure if my situation is due to my band or just my body being weird. I was wondering what you guys thought.

So I have had my band for about 9 months now. When I was about 5 months in I got a fill that gave me adequate restriction. I was good with this fill for over a month when all of a sudden, I couldn't get anything down. Not even Water. I went to my surgeon and he took out 2 CCs. Since that time I have gradually added back the 2 CCs an have been doing great for the past 2 months. In the past 2 months this fill amount has been PERFECT for me! I have been really happy with my level of restriction and the weight I've been losing.

Now all of a sudden, about 4 days ago. I can't get anything down again. I can't even drink Water with out it being very painful and me throwing it right back up. This has been going on for awhile and as you could imagine, I'm feeling quite hungry, but no matter what I try, apple sauce, yogurt, etc...it will not go down. I don't want to take any Fluid out of my band, because I've been so happy with it! But at this rate I'm fearing dehydration.

Is there anything that I can do to remedy this problem on my own and what do you think could be the problem? Why do I go so long being just fine and suddenly this happens?

wow i'm new so sorry, i can't offer any advice, but I do hope that you're able to get something down b/c if not you're going to get sick...

Do you have allergy problems? Others here have reported getting tight when their allergies act up. One even finally had her band removed. :( Also, have you traveled at all, for some flying can have an impact.

Restriction comes and goes for me, some days tighter than others, but not to the point of not being able to get liquids down, and rarely to the point of not being able to eat.

Im interested in what others say. I hope it all goes well.

I have had the same problem. What I do is slowly sip on a hot Fluid (like tea). I stay on fluids for 24 to 48 hours before reintroducing yogurt and other soft foods. I'm not sure why this happens either. Also try papaya enzyme tablets. They have also been helpful for me as well. Hope this helps!

Do you have a cold? It sounds like a mucous plug. Yummy!!!! lol, I agree with Jay, try the warm liquid.

Is it happening at "that time" of the month? I always get tight when I'm retaining water- which is usually around that time- but not always. If I go a little crazy with the carbs I retain Water then too and have noticed I have been tight. The next time it happens, you might want to try going back to Protein Drinks for the day (or two) and see if you start shedding some water and things loosen up. Like Jay said, warm liquids help too- I always have to have something warm in the mornings when I'm tight before I can eat. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies. No traveling other than in the car. No allergies that I know of. I've tried hot ginger tea but that's not really working either. It's been going on since Sunday. It seems to be getting worse. Although I haven't eaten anything in days and haven't tried to sip anything in hours, I still keep feeling the need to push up stomach acid. It tastes awful! I normally wouldn't even worry about it but it's been going on for 4 whole days now. I don't know what else to do besides get some Fluid taken out, which I REALLY don't want to do.

Thanks for the replies. No traveling other than in the car. No allergies that I know of. I've tried hot ginger tea but that's not really working either. It's been going on since Sunday. It seems to be getting worse. Although I haven't eaten anything in days and haven't tried to sip anything in hours, I still keep feeling the need to push up stomach acid. It tastes awful! I normally wouldn't even worry about it but it's been going on for 4 whole days now. I don't know what else to do besides get some Fluid taken out, which I REALLY don't want to do.

You're risking a lot of things more important than a CC...please keep your health in mind! Try taking one cc out and just knuckle down with the smart food choices. You need to stay hydrated.

Hi guys! Thanks so much for the replies. Nope, I'm not sick, haven't done any traveling, not that time of the month. I've tried hot ginger tea. Still no luck. I wouldn't mind doing warm liquids and Protein Shakes if I could keep them down.... But that isn't the case.

Have you been under any stress? Tomorrow will be my 2 year bandiversary and for about the last 8 months I was in my sweet spot then all of a sudden...BAM...so tight I couldn't eat about only 2 or 3 bites. Went to get some taken out because I was under so much stress. Long story short, my gallbladder went south so I was totally unfilled :( I go to the doctor tomorrow to see when they plan to take it out. Called the doctor to see if I could get a fill and was told if the surgery is 4 to 6 weeks, I have to wait till after. If it is going to be 4 to 6 months then I can get one...I'm opting for 4 months, wish me luck.

It's always a good thing to talk to your doctor

Call your surgeon TOMORROW and GET IN THERE! No matter what's going on, you should NEVER go more than a day without being able to drink something. So big deal if he takes out a little Fluid - he can put it back in. Don't damage your body! Go the the EMERGENCY ROOM if he isn't available tomorrow. GET MOVING!!!

Yeah 4 days????? That is not good girl!!!!!! I'm nervous for you right now!!!!!!! I wouldn't be surprised if you fainted by now! PLEASE get to that surgeon ASAP!

So I woke up this morning feeling incredibly sick, so I've got an appointment with my surgeon for 1:30 this afternoon. Guess I shouldn't have been so stubborn!