Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nauseated In The Morning? Taste Changes?

Hi all

I am new to this forum, and feel like I need the support.

I got my band in October 2011 and have only lost about 9 pounds. (I have 60 more to go).

I think I am pretty restricted, I have slimed and urped only 2x but now know what it feels like (raw veggies a no no). My doc plans on slowly filling me from now on, I think I am at about 5 cc.I go every 3 weeks now. I think my mind is not there. And it really frustrates me. I know I am eating over what I should be, and I am drinking with my meals so it literally pushes everything thru.

I realize all this, and of course I need to really come to grips with it...but I do have a particular question. I used to LOVE coffee in the morning. I loved the smell and the comfort of drinking something warm. Now, NO WAY. The thought of it nauseates me, and if I try it because I am having trouble waking up, I can take only one sip and I really do not like it.

I understand the band is tighter in the mornings. Could this be affecting my taste?

I am on several medications, and I have realized I can't take those int he mornings either.

I am now drinking green tea and settling my morning stomach with oatmeal. Maybe it is my body's answer to get em to be eating healthier?!?!

Anybody else with similar experience?

I would love to hear I am not alone in this..

Thanks in advance!

Karin

Hi, First of all we always will need support!!!!! so don't cut yourself short, its a big decision we made, and I for one am one that needs my hand held and butt pushed up the proverbial weight hill. Today is my 4 week banded and I've lost weight that Im shocked, I guess I kinda didn't really expect it.

We sent our bodys into shock, all of sudden cutting off all the carbs and sweets that it is physically craving those things in headaches, body grumblings, you name it. We are eating healthy now and I think of it as my body trying to rebel. But I have to be stronger. yes in the am's I get the nausea, and I brush my teeth, until I get all the nausea out. And I got used to drinking my Protein drink hot (like hot chocolate) and that does help loosen up the tummy. I tried cold off and on and its not the same.

medications , I still take in am, because I want them to take effect as soon as possible. but I break in half so they don't get stuck. and we have to HAVE to drink more liquids. Did I say drink more liquids because if I didn't we have to drink more liquids. I know for myself because of weight loss the medications will have a stronger effect on us and we should see md to adjust if necessary . lightheaded, dizzy..

You are drinking with your meals? thats supposed to be a no no, because then you are pushing your food through and the body will continue to be hungry, before and after meals , time frame Ive seen is different I've seen from 15 min to 60 min but you judge that yourself.

have you tried mocha flavored Protein shakes? maybe that would help your coffee craving?

You are not alone, many people experience what I have come to know as Bandster Hell. but its does get better Im told. and I believe that.

I wish you well, and never fear to ask anything on this site, someone has at one time probably gone through it.

Your tastes will definitley change as you "Mature" with the band. Things that you used to crave, will turn you off.

Not only has my tastes changed, and still changing, but I am getting more and more disinterested in food / eating altogether.

I can go all day without eating, if I am pre-occupied with something else, and not be bothered one bit.

There are times I can't make up my mind what I want to eat for dinner, to the point I say the heck with it.

It's all part of the signal the band sends to the brain. It is not a feeling of being FULL or STUUFED. It is a lack of interest!!

I went to the hospital yesterday to attend a pre-op class led by a bariatric nurse. She told me that taste buds DEFINITELY change after surgery. She had gastric bypass and said she experienced it. One person in attendance had gastric sleeve and said the same thing.

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I couldn't start my day without a Diet Pepsi in the morning, and then drank several more thoughout the day. I knew I couldn't do that after being banded, so on my pre-op diet I started experimenting with loose leaf tea, and now I'm addicted to that!! I'm sure it's much better for me, so I give in to that particular addiction! I haven't had a Diet Pepsi since January 17th and I really don't miss it at all now! I think my tastes have definitely changed!

im not a coffee drinker i used to always have to have my diet coke in te morning but since i was banded i have not missed it at all and yes ilike different foods i can goall day and not even think about food if i get preoccupied with something else we all have our ups and downs ....keep up the good work!!!! and no drinking while eating....

I think I am pretty restricted, I have slimed and urped only 2x but now know what it feels like (raw veggies a no no). My doc plans on slowly filling me from now on, I think I am at about 5 cc.I go every 3 weeks now. I think my mind is not there. And it really frustrates me. I know I am eating over what I should be, and I am drinking with my meals so it literally pushes everything thru.

This should be setting off alarm bells. You say you already have restriction but you are having a fill every 3 weeks. WHY? You have admitted that your mind is not in the right place and you are deliberately setting yourself up for failure by not following the rules by drinking with food.

What do you think more fills will do? How do you think they will help? If you continue to push the food through then the band will not work the way it should. But what will happen if you continue the way you are is that you will end up too tight, you won't be able to eat proper food, you will exist on sliders which will not fill you up and will contribute to weight gain and you risk a slip, erosion and serious reflux.

Does your Dr know what you are doing? If not then it is time to be honest. The band won't work if you refuse to work with it.

elcee, i really can't thank you enough.

i needed a kick in the pants. sometimes doctors make the WORST patients,

first things first, no drinking with meals.

and then, I will take advice from others in terms of trying just a Protein Drink in the am and tea. Glad to hear others have had similar taste experiences,

I think this site is going to be a good thing!!

karin