Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Will It Happen?

I got my band on Jan,30th 2012 surgery day wieghted in at 250.5 almost 3 weeks now and down to 243 is this normal to be slow. I get my first fill on March 8th 2012. I have not been very active do to the tenderness of the porthole spot. But it is much easier to move around today. So what might I be doing wrong or right???? LOL

It's normal not to be concerned about loosing weight yet.

This is PHASE 1....surgery, pre and post...the healing part.

Then you go to PHASE 2....which is the process of adjustments (fills) to get your band working properly

PHASE 3...let the real weight loss begin!!!

Think of it as someone who has just undergone bi-lateral total knee replacements.....they're still healin...not even allowed to stand on their feet yet.

After that comes the rehab...months to a year. THEN you can start running 5k's. But not right after surgery!

You are down 7 lbs in 3 weeks. That is with no fill. Lap Band documentation says 1-2 pounts per week once you get proper restriction. You are right on track. The 1st 6 weeks are for healing, not for losing, really.

Follow your rules, get better, get your fills, keep up the good work, you are doing great.

B-52 thanks I know I had a lot of swelling from this and now can get a pair of jeans on that are not snug on the belly. I know this is not a overnight cure of the years of build up.

I did the liquid diet for a month before my banding and dropped 20 pounds now I am in to the puree food stage and NOTHING taste right. Alot of H2O and deluted juices. I know be patient.

You're fine! This time is for healing and swelling to go down on the inside. I know it's easy to get in a rush but this is a journey......it takes a while to get through the phases to where your weight loss is steady.

I had it all mapped out in my mind on what I thought was going to happen. I just assumed you started losing 1-2 lbs a week right off the bat. I got out my calendar and figured 1 lb this week, 2lbs that week, etc. Well, that didn't happen because it took a while to get my mind and body in the same gear. I lost 40 lbs the first year which was a month ago and now I'm down another 10 I'd say. Everyone is different so just stay the course and you'll get there!

Good Luck

Then you go to PHASE 2....which is the process of adjustments (fills) to get your band working properly

Think of it as someone who has just undergone bi-lateral total knee replacements.....they're still healin...not even allowed to stand on their feet yet.

After that comes the rehab...months to a year. THEN you can start running 5k's. But not right after surgery!

This! Good advice.

I ALSO WAS A LITTLE CONCERNED AT FIRST...I HAD MY LAPBAND 12-15-11.........THE FIRST 6 WEEKS I LOST 9...HAD MY FILL 1-25-12....2 MONTHS OUT I'M DOWN 13 PDS SINCE SURGERY DATE..I ALSO HAD IT MAPPED OUT IN MY MIND I WAS GONNA BE DOWN 40 PDS BY NOW...IM EATING RIGHT...AND JUST RECENTLY UPPED MY EXERCISE FROM WALKING TO STRENGTH TRAINING AND AROBICS..SOOOOOOOOOOO HOPEFULLY BY MY NEXT FILL 2-29-12 I WILL LOSE MORE....I WANNA LOSE 60 MORE PDS.........SO I WILL TAKE 9-10 PDS A MONTH...IN THE LONG RUN IT IS WORTH IT!

Great illustration! I wish more doctors would be honest with their WLS patients on what to expect.

I like the responses from all those who have been banded before us newbies. I guess part of our thinking is out of desperation for the weight to already start dropping, No one really explained to me, (or I wasnt paying attention to be fair). yes they said it was a process, but one I thought would kick off faster than it is now. Im trying not to be a whiner, I started a personal log of my daily feelings, of what Im feeling, what Im eating, and doing, I want to look back on this in the future when whether Ive reached my goal or not. thanks

Believe it or not...... there will come a time when you are no longer obsessed with the band. You WILL lose weight, but this is a slow process! I wish I could tell this to all the newbies....... RELAX...... IT WILL HAPPEN!!!!!