Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anxiety Over Liver Being To Large

Im on a preop diet, I have been on the diet since the 2nd but will not have surgery till the 29th doing well on my preop diet lost around 8lbs so far, but I have anxiety over getting into surgery and my liver being to big and waking up and not having my lb. anyone else have this fear? Or have advise?

The liver is one of the first places to either gain or lose weight, so just keep doing what you're doing. I didn't have a preop diet, just Clear Liquids the day before...my surgery went great. Good luck!

Just follow your doctors instruction and you'll be fine! Especially the couple days right before, some people are instructed to just do clear liquids/fast for that short amount of time and do great come surgery. Pre op diets vary a ton by doctor!

Thanks guys I guess I Linda needed the pep talk, I just know someone that went in for surgery from the same dr and came out without a band, and she is at least 60lbs smaller then me

getting your liver ready is all about removing the stored sugars in the liver that hold onto Water and keep your liver fatty... as long as you follow the rules and stay away from high carb foods, your liver will be fine!

I ate chicken nuggets the night before my surgery at 10pm and the doctor said my liver was fine...just don't over do it...I'm doing fine, just had my lapband put in on the 8th.

I had KFC chicken drumstick and mashed potatoes but I had lost 26 lbs before hand, dr never said a word.

What was the specific issue your friend had? I'm willing to bet it was a more rare complication.

No worries...even when I was thin I had a fatty liver - but the doc had no problems

Follow your doctor's advice and you should be fine! It's dangerous to compare yourself to others in this situation because everyone is different and has different results. I was on a low fat diet the week previous to my surgery (that's all my doctor recommended) and mine went great (and believe me, I know I was on a high fat diet before deciding to get this surgery!).

Christy I wouldn't worry too much about it. I just had my appointment with the surgeon and he said I only have to do a liquid diet the day before the surgery. I asked him why other doctors have their patients do a liquid diet 2 weeks pre-op and he said it's unnecessary. The chances of your liver being too large are extremely slim. Good luck to you.