Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Taking Time Off Work

I am a nurse and I work in a clinic setting, so I am walking all day. I also have to stand for long periods of time to do procedures and sometimes assessments on the patient. So with that being said is a week long enough or should I stay home for 2 weeks? I know this varies by person but any experience/input is great appreciated. YOU GUYS ROCK... thx

iam a cna and i took a week off i just got my band on tuesday but i think it will be enough time....

Other factors to consider....how old are you? I am 61 and took three weeks. The first week I was in so much pain (was only given Tylenol with codiene for pain) and couldn't even get out of chair or bed without help. The second week the pain was significantly better but I was still working at getting enough liquid in and getting rest, easily fatigued. The third week I began to walk and rebuild my stamina. Also a nurse like you. So I went back after 3 weeks off and felt wonderful. But some people go back in one week and do ok. My doctor said if I had the time, take it and I was very glad I did.

i took off 2 weeks and i needed every bit of it, not only was I in a little pain when i moved but i was extremely tired and i wouldn't have made it a full day even if i tried...good luck to you

I work in a hospital and it took me two weeks... Just to be sfe

I took the two weeks cause I needed it, if you have the sick time I would suggest the whole two weeks. Lots of people go back after a few days, but this is surgery and you deserve the time to heal.

I would give yourself atleast two weeks. it took me ten days not to need any signifigant rest or pain medicine. This surgery as you know as a nurse is a major thing and should be treated as such. If i moved the wrong way my staples hurt so I'd wait until your staples come out to go back to your work as a nurse. Hope you have a good surgery and that you have a good reovery.

I had my surgery on Friday 12/30/11 and by the following Tuesday 1/3 was ready to go back to work. I didn't actually go back until 1/9. I work in an office and spend a lot of the day sitting. If I had the go ahead from my dr, I would not have taken so long off. I don't know if this helps, but I'm 41.

As far as pain meds, I wasn't taking them by Sunday, 1/1/12.

I was banded about 3.5 months ago. I was off work for two weeks, but I had a complication. Without the problem, I could have gone back to work after one week. I have a desk job, so this is very different from what you do. I wouldn't have been ready for a physical job for at least 2 weeks after surgery, without the complications. I am 54 and now feel great and haven't had any further complications since surgery.

I am a lab tech also on my feet alot, I was very concerened but only ended up taking 1 week, it worked out fine, I really wanted to take 2 weeks off but everyone would have started hating and you know how that goes when you have women hating and you are not there.......lol

wommen can be nasty to eachother, you should never put your heath before the cattiness of wommen. Heck thse gals are probally jelous that you got up the guff to have surgery. take care of you first the world can wait.

i am a respiratory therapist, a lot of walking. i took off a week and did just fine. :)

Thx guys I decided to do a week off and a week light duty( just in case)....