Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starches/Carbohydrates- whats OK?

I have read in so many places that bandsters should not have rice, bread, potatoes, or Pasta. If this is true, do experienced bandsters eat starches, and if so, what? I can see maybe airpopped popcorn or the occasional graham cracker ( I have a 2 year old). Of course, when I think about it - even if a bandster ate carbs - technically the quantity would be low (carb). Ha.

:)

I think everything in moderation is fine really. I mean in the 70's, it was high Protein diets, during the 80's and 90's it was the high carb, low fat diet now they've realised that hasnt worked we're back to the high Protein diet. What next?

I dont think a diet high in processed carbs is good for anyone though. I try to stick to wholegrain ones - oatmeal, brown rice and avoid eating bread much at all. Last night we had friends over for dinner, had a nice barbecue, but I didnt take a baked potato because I knew I wouldnt fit it in. But I didnt worry about the noodles in one of the salads.

Most days I eat carbs for Breakfast - muesli, oatmeal etc.

I eat carbs all the time. That's why I still need to lose 30-50lbs after over 2 yrs being banded. :confused: lol. If I had been more serious about the rules, I would most probably have lost much more by now. I reckon it depends on how serious you are about reaching a goal. As much as I'd LIKE to weigh 150/130/120 SOMEDAY, I reckon I like my carbs better?? Make sense?

These are guidelines put in place by the bandmaker, first because these foods got us where we are today (and keep us there), secondly, because these foods tend to 'settle' in the band or swell due to the gluten they contain. Hence, they often take up what little space you have for the Protein that you need in order not to lose the muscle mass your body needs. Again, it's all about the choices that we make and the reasons that we make them.

We all need a certain amount of carbs. Healthy carbs are found in fruits and veggies and whole grains. Empty carbs are usually the ones we find the hardest to eat - soft fluffy breads, gooey noodles and the like. These typically get stuck and cause PBs (productive burps) because no matter how much you chew, they still glom together in the stomach and form a ball of food too large to fit through the banded stomach. Many will say they can still eat breads but have to eat it very very slowly, giving each bit time to pass through before adding in more. And many also agree that because of the time it takes to eat it, along with the risk of it not going down, it's just not worth the effort.

I am a dough freak. I still think about breads from time to time, but I plan on turning to a thin 1/2 piece of diet whole wheat toast when I can't stand it anymore. The drier stuff, like crackers and toast seem to be no problem for most folks. Hope that helped.

I was told by my surgeon to avoid all "white" foods such as popcorn, bread, Pasta, potatoes. I pick all the potatoes out of my Soups. It's a small sacrifice to be healthy. I figure I've already eaten my life's quota before the diet, so I'm not missing anything...lmao

I'm like Leatha, I eat what I want to. I haven't ate much bread since being banded, but that is by choice. I do eat Pasta once in a while, and rice. I usually eat a couple bites at least of potatoes most of the time. I just fix some for DH and then I "share" a little with me!:biggrin1:

Generally there are very few things that are "off limits". Some surgeons use banding as an opportunity to enforce their idea of the "perfect" diet, and say no "white" stuff, and things to that effect.

Bear in mind everything you know about nutrition, and you will probably agree that most "white" foods have very little to offer in the way of nutrition, and also tend to spike blood sugar which usually results in further cravings and fat storage.

Many people can tolerate these foods - many people can't. Some can if they eat them in combination with other things to help stop the food from recombining in the pouch as a big "glomb".

So there are two things going on here:

1. Nutrition concerns

2. Tolerance concerns

Since most banded people are trying to lose weight, nutritionally it makes sense to avoid high calories foods with little nutritional value.

Some lucky people don't have a choice, because their bands won't tolerate it, so it ceases to be a "willpower" issue, and avoidance is done out of sheer survial instincts. :welldone2:

This thread has been really helpful. I never visualized the doughy items recombining in the pouch....I knew doughy things were out, but sometimes just getting a mental image helps!

I'm not banded yet, but I have to be honest, I can't quite figure out how raw veggies go down well? I'm eating some baby carrots right now and I'm purposely chewing the heck out of them to see how small a piece I can get them into. It's hard, my jaw is tired! :welldone2:

I feel that good carbs are the best way to go, high Fiber, whole grains and no whites. BUT, I reserve that comment for after banding because I don't have a clue what I will be able to tolerate!!

Thanks for all the great thoughts here!

Thanks Jack, I never thought of Sweet potatoes! Small amounts would help in getting the beta carotene too!

Donali, thanks for writing. Most of us know a good deal about nutrition, myself included and it is wonderful to hear someone else agree with my theory that docs try to convert bandsters to the "ideal" diet by padding the rulebook.

I have no intent to sabotage myself or others. Since banding my desire for empty calories has diminished and I almost always choose the high-fiber/low fat option. I just don't want to end up on a diet of poached chicken breast and Tomato slices. Eeep

Very glad that this thread has helped darlin.

Take care y'all, Brenda

Since banding my desire for empty calories has diminished and I almost always choose the high-fiber/low fat option.

This is exactly how I went about my banding journey, and I was completely thrilled with my results. It is not necessary to have a "perfect" diet to succeed. I made conscious choices instead of mindlessly eating, and my more nutritious choices outweighed the less nutritious choices enough (coupled with significantly reduced quantities) that I was down 103 pounds in 18 months.

I probably could have lost faster if I had "worked" harder, but I was looking for a lifestyle change, not a "job".

My doc never forbid anything except soda, if I recall correctly.