Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thyroid Levels Increased... Ugggg!!! Will This Result In Slow Progress??

I went to my endonocrologist yesterday and she was not happy with my newest TSH levels. They should be under 10, I have been at 2.7. However, yesterday found out they are all the way up to 15.2... WTF!!!!!

So she increased my synthroid dosage from 112mcg to 125mcg and said I may not be getting full absorption. I told her its only been 3 weeks (almost) but she said that can do it. I do not want this hindering my weightloss. I have loss 19lbs, 14 from preop so only 5 since surgery on January 10th. I know not to compare to others but I'm wondering if the slowness in weight reduction is from healing or the thyroid.

wow! I have not heard that the lab band could cause throid levels to go up! Is there any other possible reason? I had drastic level changes after just a few weeks in other areas, but I was getting weak cause my blood pressure meds were then way too much (my levels were going down drastically). Please elaborate! And best of luck to you!

Guest BrownKameleon

@oldie, I have been taken my meds like normal, all she said was it could be due to absorbtion.. so I can't elaborate anymore than that. I am going to be very meticulous about taking my meds at the same time and with a full glass of Water and waiting an hour to eat in the am. Prior I took them within an hour of the same time with a sip of water and waited 30 mins. Like I said my levels were good when I was doing this so I don't know if my new plan will change anything. I'm going to try and research what could change levels, not sure if the restricted calories of the 2 week liquid diet could have messed with things. I'll keep you posted.

@oldie, I have been taken my meds like normal, all she said was it could be due to absorbtion.. so I can't elaborate anymore than that. I am going to be very meticulous about taking my meds at the same time and with a full glass of Water and waiting an hour to eat in the am. Prior I took them within an hour of the same time with a sip of Water and waited 30 mins. Like I said my levels were good when I was doing this so I don't know if my new plan will change anything. I'm going to try and research what could change levels, not sure if the restricted calories of the 2 week liquid diet could have messed with things. I'll keep you posted.

I am so sorry to hear you are having that side effect from the band! Hope your new way of taking your meds helps! Please update after your next dr. visit!

Thank you, will do... that will be 2 months from now. But I'll post it, hopefully with good news.

I feel your frustration. My thyroid is wild right now...I am pre surgery, my pre op is Feb 14 and my surgery is Feb 28. I also have absorption issues, and have had constant variations in Synthroid rxs--I feel like I have a drugstore worth of strengths, going up and down. I was at 150, just switched again to 137. are you on Cytomel as well? I take a half of 25 strength which is supposed to help with absorption. I am praying that the lap band will get me OFF some rxs!!

@ chastndeb... I'm just on synthroid (levothyroxine). Were your levels off the chart before the preop diet? I'm trying to find out when mine went south. I really can't say it's the lap band cuz the last time I saw my endo was in August. I was on every 6 months. Now I got to go back to every 2 until levels are back under control. She is the one who said absorption problems.... She's the doc ... What do I know.

Well, I can't take the generic for Synthroid. It just does not work for me. I'd ask your endo about that as well as about Cytomel, which helps some with absorption. My thyroid issues have been nuts for the last 9 months which is miserable! I am also post hysterectomy and using a hormone spray and am Type II diabetic. All these endocrine problems are affected by my weight. I am only 5'1 so I should weigh about the same as a Keebler elf!! I know I have a LONG way to go to get my weight down where it should be....and I am praying that the lap band will be a great tool to help me get my health back on track!

@chastndeb.. Thank you, I will call her office on Monday to ask about both. I had a hysterectomy last year but still have my ovaries. After all the pathology testing it ended up being cateorgarized as stage 1 uteran cancer. But hysterectomy took care of that. We seem to have similar problems.... I'm 5'1 too, starting weight 256 now 237. But according to your profile weight, I weigh a lot more than you. My goal weight is also higher. That might change for me,I have to see how I feel & look.

If your mess are going up, that may help your weight loss! I am going in for my first fill April 4...and getting my tsh levels checked out....I have lost 18 pounds since surgery...but things have really slowed down this week. Hopefully that will restart my weight loss!

Diets high in soy, high in fiber, and those who take the antacid aluminum hydroxide (contained in milk of magnesia) sometime have difficulty absorbing their thyroid hormones. These are all things that pretty common in us lap Banders. Always take on an empty stomach, sounds like you knew this.... A couple additional things to try: this sounds weird, but chew your synthroid. It does not taste bad, and saliva will help break it down and may help with absorbtion. Also, you might try splitting your dose in half and taking twice a day instead of once. Good luck!