Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Inc Movie - Omg

So I had my initial consult with my doc (Dr. Singh in maryland) earlier this week. I told him I adopted the habit of eating whatever I want, I just exercise regularly .... I'm not losing any weight with this plan though ... GASP!

He told me to watch food Inc and I was absolutely amazed. Im very afraid to eat beef, pork, poultry, and "fresh" produce ... SIGH.

Today I went to the Nordstrom Cafe. Their menu says they use organic produce and milk without hormones, and cage free eggs. I instantly fell in love. AND get this .... I have not been banded, and I havent even set a surgery date. But today I guess everything in my head had me eating like someone with serious Portion Control.< /p>

I didnt finish my Soup, and I ordered the kid's meal pizza. I shared with my co-worker AND packed leftovers. This wouldnt seem so surprising to me except that my co-worker kind of gave me a weird look today. He said "did your Soup fill you up or something???" because he saw how little I ate today. I'm excited for 2 reasons:

1. maybe this whole gastric banding thing wont be so bad after all

2. if ppl around me think I just eat like a bird normally, maybe once I get the band they wont notice my new eating habits, thus making it easier for me to keep my privacy in tact.

I just wanted to share. And also ask if anyone else has seen food Inc, and how do they incorporate safer foods into their diets???

THANKS!

Ha! You got me to finally watch it. I am happy that I will be buying smaller portions of meat with the lap band. I think it will make me feel okay spending a bit more for the local stuff (I try to buy local/grass fed/free range as much as I can but it is pricey). One of the other suggestions I can offer you is to eat Turkey if you can stomach it. I'm not a big turkey fan, but it isn't as massed farm.

Another great suggest, organic frozen veggies and fruit. They're harvest when they are in season and softer than fresh stuff so easier for us to chew properly :D

That movie changed the way my family and I eat forever! I think the best thing you can do for yourself if you haven't yet is to quit eating fast food. As you saw in the film it's not even food. My rule is if it flies in the sky, walks on land, swims in the Water, or grows in the ground eat it! Btw you are already doing a great job keep it up. On a side note I have kept my surgery private and I worried about what other people were going to say when they saw the way I ate and most people never noticed.

agreed, as much as I still love Taco Bell I don't want to waste the calories, fat or carbs I have to log. I can eat so much better at home. I also like to shop organic.

it is expensive but hopefully safer!

I wish whole foods, fresh market, and trader joe's had rewards card like the big chain stores.

I've been at Fresh Market like 3 times this week! Organic salad costs the same as "Fresh Express" salad so I figure why not switch! Im so excited. Now if my insurance co would just give me a decision I can get this ball rolling! smilielol5.gif

I'm afraid to watch that movie because I worry I will be too disgusted to eat anything but I think I should make myself do so....I really wish I could eat more fresh produce but no matter how tight I am, it always seems to give me grief (except lettuce; I can do a romaine salad with chicken and a nice dressing but that's about it!).

I went full-on Vegan for about 6 months after I watched food Inc. I have slowly incorporated some animal products back into my diet. The thought of milk absolutely grosses me out, so I haven't had anything other than soy or almond milk for the last 5 years. I don't eat a ton of meat now, but when I do, I make sure it is high quality. It usually only comes from Whole Foods, or our local Farmers Market

I haven't seen the movie, but I've done enough research to be afraid--very afraid!--of the industrial food complex. I try to limit processed foods and make sure to buy ones I can find at Whole Foods or the like. I buy my veggies either organic or--in season--get them from a local organic CSA.

As for meat, my best friend and I did some research and now buy our beef and pork from local formers who only grass feed and humanely slaughter. We need chest freezers because we buy a whole pig and a quarter cow at a time, but I feel so much better with the decision, and the meat actually TASTES better, too. Luckily, we can get chickens pretty much the same way, either from local raisers or at the farm market.

Im not sure the local farmer's markets here sell meat. but there are some small meat market stores and butcher shops. I had some organic bacon and it tasted sooooooo good.