Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rad Portland Chick With A Life-Changing Date Of March 27, 2012!

So I guess that since I'm now posting in the forums, I should write an introductory thread about myself, right?

My surgery is scheduled for March 27th. Deposit paid, everything done. Well, minus the pre-op diet, obviously. It's with Dr. Oritz at OCC in Mexico.

About me: just turned 24. Lives in Portland, Oregon but from San Diego. Lover of dogs, science, music, forums, and blogs. Microbiology major at Portland State University. Huge geek/nerd. I have the most amazing support system (boyfriend) ever and my golden retriever (who is going to love the new active me!!) is my pride and joy.

I'm 5'8-9ish. My highest weight is 265. Currently, I'm sitting at 225. My weight gain isn't due to BAD food. I rarely eat junk food, I cook constantly, and I LOVE my veggies. I haven't had soda in over 4 years, and I'm not one to have a sweet tooth. I guess that makes me lucky, right? My problem is QUANTITY. I eat huge portions. I eat until I'm so full that I go into food coma and sleep it off. Haha. I have a low-moderate activity level: I take my dog on walks, hike occasionally, and walk my a$$ off running back and forth to classes on campus. Post surgery I am going to become a runner. You'll see!

Anyhow. I would absolutely love, love, love to have some fellow bandsters to chat with, as I'm not telling my family or friends, for personal reason. Like so many others, I'm not ashamed; I just don't want all my hard work to be written off because I hit an "easy button."

If any of you are close to where I am, or even my hometown, let me know! I'd love to meet up and talk strategy (while making new friends along the way)!

Hi there! I am also in Portland, over in SE but hoping to move over to SW in the next month or so. I am getting my surgery done at Legacy Weight Management Institute. I am 23 (turning 24 in June) and cannot wait to start this journey! I started this journey with a Fiance, but it appears that has gone all kinds of wring and I am now single. Go me! I do have a wonderfully supportive family that lives in the area and are all behind me to get this done. They just want me to be happy.

I am going in tomorrow for my consult with the psychologist, the nutritionist, and the physical therapist. I went last week for the welcome group and the psych test (a whopping 370 question scantron). If the psychologist clears me, I will be able to schedule my surgeon consult tomorrow. I am hoping to be banded sometime in February...

I love sweets, but not enough to sacrifce my weight. I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and secretly hope that it can account for some (not all) of my weight issues. Last year I did 6.5 months going to the gym 5-6 days a week and eating 1200-1400 calories a day and was only able to lose 35 pounds with a daily deficit of at least 1000 calories... Very discouraging and I'm hoping the band will give me the extra boost I need :)

Sorry for the history lesson.

Hi, Steph. Congrats on getting through that psych test. 370 questions sounds insane! Don't apologize for the history lesson... mine was quite a novel as well. Haha.

Do they get back to you that quickly about the psych eval? I guess they should, considering it's on a scantron.

Do you want to get into more personal contact? I'll message you my phone number. You'll be starting the journey before me, so it'll be exciting to see :)

Hi again, I would love to stay in contact! It's always nice to have another person to talk to about these things. I'm not sure I will be telling anyone outside of my immediate family, mainly because I don't want people thinking I took the easy way out.

Do you do text messaging? Maybe when we've both been banded, we can be support buddies. Are you a part of a gym or anything like that? I'm hoping to maybe go to some of the local support groups in the next month; maybe we could go together?

I'm a text-aholic. I'd love to be support buddies!

As far as gyms go, I'm getting a 24-hour membership immediately after the surgery. And I'd definitely be down for support groups. Since I don't have any family up here, and they aren't going to know anyway, it'd be nice to have someone outside of my guy. :)

awesome! I do have a membership at 24 hour fitness as well, so that would be great if we could meet up and decide if we want to be gym buddies! Accountability is always an incentive!

Good for you guys getting hooked up before even having the surgery. I met my friend Julie at my first preop appt and she has been the HUGEST support I could have ever wished for! I have met many great people at my support meetings, something I attribute to my success. I am truely excited for the both of you. I could have never imagined 13 months ago feeling like I do today! Good luck!

Steph, it sounds like it's fate!!! One of my best friends was a personal trainer for years, and he also has a 24 hour membership. He said he's gonna help me and kick my ass. So I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you joined us!!!!

Holly, you are SO CLOSE to your goal! Congrats on that. Did you work out to get there? What's your routine like?

Hi PrettyFace!

I too am begining my weight loss journey ... a bit further south than Portland, actually closer to your home town of San Diego. I currently live in Orange County California and am looking to have my surgery sometime in the summer of this year. Right now I have already done the inital consult, EKG, Endoscopy, blood work, and thankfully made it past the two sleep studies. Scheduled to have my gal bladder removed on Thursday 1/26/12. I have a 6 month waiting period with my insurance company (Cigna OAP) and basically that started about two weeks ago.

Current weight of 301 (the biggest ever) lbs 6'1" and incredibly active with a full time job (usually work about 6 days a week 12 hr shifts), three kids, two dogs, two snakes, and a really loving but needy husband :) I dont normally eat a ton of Snacks or even tear up the buffet, I think my biggest issue is eating unhealthy fast food places because I lead such a busy life.

This entire process has been a whirlwind since I decided to make the call and at sometimes find myself wanting to back out of it because I am unsure I have made the right decision. I am ALWAYS second guessing myself!

Enough of my story...I do want to wish you the best and hope to keep in touch as I would really like to see how your doing since your surgery is scheduled about 3-4 months before mine. :)

Hi, longleggs!

I know what you mean about being unsure. I've been doing research and reading lapband blogs for well over a year now and finally just told myself "do it already, dang. You could have lost all the weight by now if you weren't so indecisive!" After that, I haven't wavered at all. I'm actually excited about starting my new life.

It sounds like you are quite the busy woman! Are you going to be able to take time off for healing?

I'd love to keep in contact! I go back to southern california at least twice a year. I'm always there for over a month during the summer.

when are you anticipating getting the surgery done?

Oh, you said summer. Haha. Sorry, I'm on my phone :-)

Hi Pretty face, thanks for the congrats! I walk 4-5 mornings a week at 5:30 am with 2 friends. Unfort. thats the only good time for me. I'd rather be sleeping in but once I get my butt out there I feel so much better to take on the day!

Do you already have a plan for who will do your fills in Oregon?

That's encouraging!

Yeah, I've found a woman who does fills here, but she didn't use fluoroscopy, so I think I'll just fly back to dr ortiz for fills. He uses fluoroscopy and that makes me a little more comfortable I think

Crazy you ask about healing time...I am scheduled for gal bladder surgery this Thursday and plan on returning to work on Friday. Everyone says I am nuts and my boss threatened to lock me out of the office but I really feel like a loser if I dont make it to work. I just might have to kick him in his knee caps if he trys locking the door :)

As far as time off for the band surgery...From what I have been researching it is so minimally invasive I am comfortable saying that I will plan the surgery for a Thursday or Friday and try to return to work on the following Monday. Also, things are so wild around the house I tend to get more rest at work ;)

Absolutly keep in touch! It is always great to have a support system other then my husband and kids. I havent told any of my friends as they all have negative things to say about weight loss surgery.

My dr doesn't do fills with fluoroscopy. I've never had any problems. And Longleggs, you are crazy! I took a week off and enjoyed watching all the cooking shows while sipping on my Protein shakes!