Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr Bruno Dillemans

Hiya, I had my Lap band fitted by Bruno Dillemans on 14th Feb.

If you book through obesity-care you have to stay at the Best Western Acacia or the Campanile.

Brugge is a bit of a nightmare to get around... one way streets etc, and the private nurse that comes obviously has to know the place and things.

I stayed at the Acacia, more xpensive, but worth it, because they have rooms with kitchenettes in, so at least you can make some Soup or similar. The campanile didnt have those facilities apparently, and its a LONG way out of town. The Acacia is in a brilliant position from the main sqaure, where the bus (the 13) runs to the hospital very often, so the person that comes with you will be able to get home after wards and also make their way to see you easier.

The acacia is also good because its quiet there. I dont know about the Campanile, because I didnt stay there, but only talked with a RNY patient's father who went there because the Acacia was booked out.

Dillemans is a great guy. Very nice and you can really talk to him. I found the hospital awesome. It was totally different to the service you get in the UK. Nice quietroom (4 beds) but with a door that Shuts so you dont hear the nurses all night long. Very very clean and sterile, and they really put you at your ease.

everyoen speaks english too... even the Russian taxi driver that collected us from the airport spoke English!!

We had a good time all round.

We also flew. We went with BA to brussels. it was about £80 each I think. Ryanair go to charleroi, airport, but its further to drive from the airport to the hotel, so decided against it.

The taxi from the airport to the hotel and the return journey was expensive though, so be aware.

The whole deal, surgery, hotel, eating out before hand (I reccomend the restaurant De Carre THOROUGHLY for you last supper!!! Its on the main square) taxis and everything came to just under £4000.

Hope it helps

Bunny

Hi Bunny,

Thanks for posting this. I am all set to see Dr Dillemans on March 27th. I am so excited now. I have chosen to go by eurostar. It waqs only £70.00 return and it's easy for me to get to Waterloo.

I am also staying at the Best Western Accacia.

So how are you doing now Bunny nearly a month after being banded. What was it like for the first few weeks? How is your diet now? Oh, and what about the scars from surgery, arfe they healing nicely?

Sorry for a million questions!

Dave

Hi Dave,

It doing great! Ask away I dont mind at all.

Straight after surgery I was a bit groggy but not in pain. They keep you nicely topped up with pain killers!

Everything went really smoothly, and Dr. Dillemans and the staff were nice at the hotel and the hospital. There is a lot of bumpf that they give you... I came home with loads of it.

The first few days were really not too bad. At the end of the day, its surgery, but it was not horrendous pain or anything. Just make sure you bring co-codamol (from tesco) or paracetamol and NOT ibuprofen or asprin with you because you cant take these. I foudn that takign pills was no problem, but they do give you some strawberry flavoured paracetamol to take home with you that just disolve on your toungue. They are quite nice!! But bring co-codamol with you so you have somethign a little stronger than paracetamol.

The worst bit for me was the pain in my left shoulder. The surgery sites themselves didnt both me so much as the shoulder ache. Its from the carbon dioxide gas that they fill you up with during the surgery so that they can see inside and everything. This was actually the most painful thing for me. It was fine if I laid down, so it was easily solved!! :() Trouble was I wanted to look around the town a bit. It got better after a couple of days. I thought I had a blood clot or something dreadful, but apparently its really common and always mostly in the left shoulder. Thought I should tell you about that.

The scars and fine now. Totally healed. I am exactly 4 weeks post op as of this morning.. and they are all pink but totally healed. When the bandages came off they had a tiny amount of stitches poking out of the ends of two of the wounds... and so did my other banding buddy. The nurse at my GP sorted that out and just trimmed them for me so they didnt scratch, and now they are just fine. I was even quite worried about my "port hole" as I call it, because the scar was really raised and overlapping, but it has healed itself and lies flat again. Our bodies really are wonderful huh!

I stocked up on post operative diet food before I went and bought packet Soup and stuff, and then thought that I wouldnt be able to use it bcause of having no where to cook it, so I left it at home. I didnt realise that at the acacia you have a kitchenette affair, so you can take stuff with you. However, I found some nice soup and yoghurt at the little supermarket down the road from the hotel. They had everythign that you could need.

Came home and no problems, I simply ate when I was hungry and ate different things like jelly, apple sauce, custard, semolina, soup and dairylea, milk etc. I progressed to baby food jars (i am lazy!) and now am eating regular meals with the family. I have my first fill tomorrow! woo hoo!

You will love the staff and Bruno Dillemans is a great guy. Hes really nice and funny too. He really put me at my ease.

Are you taking someone with you? I would STRONGLY advise it because it really helped me. I wopuld never have been able to carry my case after surgery, or pack, cook and shop etc. There was a guy there who in the end didnt have the surgery who was on his own, and I think he could have benefitted if he had had his wife, or a good freind.

My husband had to stay and look after our son, so I took my best mate. It worked out really well.

I have lost 15lbs to date. So more than a stone!! I am really pleased I chose belgium, and the hospital and Dillemans were lovely. I cant praise it enough.

Ask as many qustions as you like, you can private mail me off the baord if you have questions that you dont want to ask here.

Hope it helps

Bunny

Hi Bunny, your info has been a god send, and given me lots of piece of mind!

I'm booked with Dr Dillimans on the 10th of September 07 and can't wait, i'm also taking your advice and taking my mum with me. But firstly I have a couple of questions, which I hope you can help with...

I booked the surgery only option so I think it works out at around £3076 but does this include refils? If not how much are they and do I need to book them in advance?

Hope you can help!!

Sophie

The price with Dr Dillimans for surgery only doesn't include the fills. If you are having your fills at Barnes London then they are £90

Thankyou, lets hope it's money well spent! Especially since I live in the far south west!

Does anyone know of Dr Dillemans and has anyone had their band fitted at the AZ Sint Jan?

Thank You

hello,

i havent had a band fitted but i did have the mclean methol of surgery, performed by dr dilleman, who in my opinion is just one step below god right next to keith richards !!

Dr. Dillemans has a new advisory site called www.Drbrunodillemans.com but it is still under construction and I think it is being run by Dr. Dillemans new partner agency called www.Euro-Weight-Loss-Surgery.com check it out. They are way cheaper :w00t: than Direct Healthcare anyway for exactly the same surgery. I also heard that Direct Healthcare are dealing more now with a surgeon in Antwerp who has less experience :blushing: rather than Dr. Dillemans. Big Mistake I think!:thumbup:

Hey ya,

I had my surgery with Dr Bruno Dillemans about two months ago and already I am seeing amazing results. I went through Dr. Dillemans new organisazion called European Weight Loss Surgery. Has any one else used them. I found them cheaper than any of the other companies by thousands of Euro even though their service is the same as the more expensive companies. Dr. Dillemans also gives them special priority for surgery dates so for anyone considering surgery have a look at their website, I have nothing but praise for them. www.euro-weight-loss-surgery.com

Anyway I hope this is of help to some one out there.

Mags

Dr Dillimens

Fitted my band in May 2006 and I stayed for 3 days. I made my own arrangements for the hotel at the hotel advised by them. With the surgery, travel and stay it cost me £3200 this was under the European Weight loss Surgery. Fills are not included and were £70 but went up to £90 in London Barns. I lost the first st very quickly. To date I have lost 3.7st with 6 fills. I have just had my 7th fill after not having one for a year so hopefully this weight loss will start moving again which I think it will. Where you told what the name of the band is? I can't remember what mine is called.:thumbup:. The pain in the left shoulder is the worse. It's there because of the gas after surgery and you get this same pain if you eat too much. This pain is caused by the stomach pressing against a nerve.

Edited by heresdeb

Hi I am having my band in Jan 2009 - need to save!! flying into brussels where do I get the train and what hotel do i book. Doing mine direct with Dr Dillemans

hello,

i havent had a band fitted but i did have the mclean methol of surgery, performed by dr dilleman, who in my opinion is just one step below god right next to keith richards !!

Hi there, am interested in this but was told that its not the best option? what has your experience been so far? I am really interested as am wondering about the fuss with the aftercare for the band and the chances of slippeage during long haul airtravels... would love to hear from you

Thanks