Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Sure If I Need To Be Un-Filled...

Hello,

I recently had a baby and had all but 1cc let out of my band. 3 months ago, I went back and he added 1 cc - really did not do much and I didn't lose any weight. Went for a fill yesterday to get things moving and now I am having a tough time. Water goes down...but slowly and I feel that "glug glug glug" feeling ALL the time. I constantly have that air-release feeling (like a burp) like every 15 minutes. I tried to eat some crab salad stuff (very finely chopped - pureed texture) - only small bites and it just sat there. They I tried to drink a little milk later and everything came back up, including the salad. Right now, I am trying to drink warm coffee and normally warm beverages give me no problem and once again it is sitting there and doing the glug-glug thing again. Any help is appreciated. I am not hungry at all and I always had hunger before. Doctor said it was time to "get aggressive" with this and I needed to use the band like it is supposed to be used, but I am afraid of being dehydrated!!!

You might need a slight unfill. If you can't keep fluids down then I'd call him back and ask to come it. Not keeping food/drink down isn't good for your band. At least call and explain your symptoms. Even taking a tiny bit out could help. My surgeons office says to contact them if I experience vomiting, reflux, heartburn, inability to tolerate liquids, difficulty swallowing, or night cough.

Good luck.

I had a similar experience and 1/2 a cc out made a huge difference!

You might be swollen, my surgeon recommends liquids for 2 days, clear,and 2 days full. Try going back to liquids for a few days! Goodluck, Karen, congrats on the new baby!

If liquids are coming back up, call your surgeon ASAP. Even if it is swelling, you'll need a slight unfill. Gurgling is OK if the liquids are going down. Warm liquids might increase swelling. Try room temperature, as cold can trigger a spasm.

As kll suggested, try liquids only and see how it goes.

You need to get an aspiration ( de fill ) even if just a little....I got one the other day as I got too much fill....like you it just sat there....I was throwing up all the time....my clinic were not happy as your band can slip or you can damage your throat from throwing up withe the acid....plus you will put on weight as only the slider foods (elcee another member told me this ) will go down easily.....which are high calories.....you need to go back sooner rather than later you do not want to do damage to your band

In this case even a 1/2 cc unfill could make a world of difference! maybe even 1/4. Def. give our surgeon a call because you COULD become dehydrated. Also my surgeon suggests that if you have any vomiting at all, DO NOT try to eat anything for 6 hours and only drink Clear Liquids when you absolutely HAVE to during those 6 hours. The 6 hours allows swelling to go down some. Good luck and always communicate with your surgeon and his staff

RNmomtothree glad to hear you went to the doctor and got yourself sorted....take it easy now and give yourself a few days to adjust before eating harder foods.....the relief you feel is fantastic....I have also gone back on the advice of my nurse of tracking what I eat and drink...the band is a tool but not the complete solution so you need to ensure you are not asking it to do all the work for you :)

It sounds like you have too much in your band. Don't wait to get checked out. If you're having a lot of reflux and throwing up, that stuff can go to your lungs and develop pneumonia... among other problems like dehydration or a slipped band. You can always get that put back in at a later time.

I ended up getting .25cc out and it is SO much better! I couldn't even swallow my own spit yesterday morning. It was so scary! Thanks for all your advice!

Very glad you went in and are feeling better. Thanks for the update!