Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The 1% That Never Needs A Fill - Is Anybody Else Out There Like Me?

I had surgery in August 2011 and have lost over 60 pounds to date and have never had a fill. I know this is really weird. I had a hiatal hernia repaired which I heard was very bad I was even shown a photo but it just looked like some kind of egg bash in a skillet - whatever. So, I live with what feels like a too tight lapband. This is horrible at times when I try and eat foods too dense/solid to go down no matter the chewing, and I have to run into a bathroom and purge quickly. I try to keep these episodes down to a minimum and stay in my safe little world of oatmeal, yogurt, more yogurt (did I mention greek, frozen, any kind of yogurt?) my favorite grilled eggplant and zucchini with fireroasted tomatoes (notice all mush again). I eat chicken salad now and again but for the most part have become almost all vegetarian other than fish. I often wonder if I can do this forever. Like now, when I came home to a dinner left for me on a plate - a fried pork chop with mashed potatoes. And I think yeah I can do this and I chewed and chewed and till ended up barfing it up. Eating out sucks too unless its appetizers and dessert. I find I can eat dessert and still lose weight. I lost weight over Christmas even though I ate the apple rhubarb cobbler in 3 times in very small amounts. My problem is the paranoia that begins when I take a bite and I have to do the 5 minute wait and see thing. Sucks after 6 months. I am not a big Water drinker either although I do make an effort at times. Constipation is a major problem for me - sometimes it hurts so bad I cry when I do go - other times I just freak that I can go 5 days with no bowl movement drink milk of magnesia and nothing happens the next day until I have more. I have been on line int he drugstore clutching MOM, prunes, etc. That sucks too. I work out about 3 times a week - I like the way I look - but I hate the way I feel inside. The other side of the coin from my side is I see people in the surgeon's office getting fill after fill and losing little weight and complaining about that which I think is the norm for most - I feel like perhaps my surgeon did not take into account the enormity of the repair to the hernia and then banded me and did not realize what living with this much constriction was going to be like. So, what do you all think? I'd love to hear. Most people hear all this crap and shrug - they are also overweight and don't really care to hear somebody who is losing weight whining. I have a 21 year old daughter who weighs about 250 pounds and I would never tell her to get banded and her father thinks its great and wishes she would and I'm like no no don't tell her that uyy shes too young to have to either go through the anguish I do or worse yet have it and she doesn't lose. Overall I cannot say I have a better quality of life - I am healthier than ever and look good but the eating experience is definitely a bummer. and considering I was never much of a drinker that how I get through social meals now I can always sit and nurse a drink maybe two - ever more than that though. If your ever in NYC check out the Red Hot coffee Cocktail at Southern Hospitality OMG so good tastes like a red hot candy and the glazed banana pudding with the warm nilla wafers on the bottom this is in a very small potion for humans and its wonderful you can really enjoy it without the guilt because its in MODERATION!!! I ordered a second one because I had to relive the ecstasy the first one provided :-)

I had my surgery in October, have lost 53 lbs and not had a fill yet. I can really eat anything that I like and have never had a stuck/vomit issue...I consider myself extremely lucky.

It sounds to me like the OP had a fill during surgery as I did. I also had hiatal hernia repair. As for the Constipation, this can be easily resolved in a very pleasant and effective way without use of laxitives. I eat a vitafusion brand Fiber gummie every day and it has been a life saver as far as constipation issues go. The vitafusion brand seems better to me than other gummies because they are so soft and easy to chew.....taste great too.

I also have trouble with dense meats, so I have found other ways ....... chili (both red and green) I order Soup when I go out. Crab legs, scallops, cheese, cottage cheese

I have had a few fills, but I am also 2 1/2 years post-op

I am very similar to hopefloats. I had my surgery in October and have lost 45 pounds and no fills yet. I can eat pretty much whatever I want (minor issues with salad rolls and sushi) but I have never been stuck or vomited. I find that I am not very hungry and when I do eat, I get full quickly. I am very lucky and hopefully this lasts until I lose all the weight I want to. I am open to getting a fill if/when I need one, but so far, so good.

Sandy - have you spoken to your doctor about this at all? You may want to get a second opinion from another surgeon. You shouldn't be miserable. It sounds like there was a mistake made.

I hope you find the answers you need :(

I had surgery Mar 2011, lost 65lb in 9 months.

Weight loss stopped for a months or so, so after thinking about it for a while - went for it. Got first fill just few weeks ago.

Not sure it did effect anything.... other than for the first week right after the fill.

Restriction is not everything - thats what I think. Placement and pressure on the right nerves' of the stomach - can bring results.

I've been lucky with this band, since Sept. I've lost over 60lbs without a fill and am still losing 2-3lbs a week. There

doesn't seem to be anything I can't eat in almost any quantity, but I'm just not very hungry. On my last visit to the doctor,

he said I was losing fast enough and didn't need a fill. I won't have a problem with fills if and when I need one, but for

now, I'm good.