Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emotional Eater - Lap Band

Hi my name is Simone and ive just had my lapband done in October, and had to have it redone in November 30, as my port was not put in properly, it was upside down. Apparently I had a midband put in and the port is stainless steel. Its now in and Ive had a fill as well. I have found that food gets stuck regularly as I forget to chew alot and lately because of this time of the year, festivities I am talking with people and forget to chew.

I know it is working now. I also have emotional issues around eating and found that I was comforting myself with icecream and sweets to not feel deprived. I have lost ten kilos so far, and havent lost anything since. Yes it is christmas and we are on holidays which I am finding quite tough having to regulate what I eat, but im reminding myself this will always be the case and the lap band is a tool and i choose what goes in my mouth.

Im going to Bali in January which will be interesting.

Happy to buddy up with anyone interested in starting their journey with me, its just the beginning and im looking forward to losing more weight and also adressing my issues as they come up.

The lapband does not help emotional eaters, it helps me stop gorging myself now i have to deal with my emotional issues. thanks for this forum it helps to read with others.

frenchdove

Hi Simone, I too was banded in October, but have not had any complications, I too am an emotional eater and get stuck regularly from the same thing, I eat too quickly and if distracted I will get myself stuck! I am learning. It would be great to keep in touch and compare notes!! Good luck!!

I am an emotional eater also. I have struggled the last 6 months with the band. I am comforted so much by food which really sucks. I have started my journey again. I am back to liquids. This is my second day. I am hoping if I start all over I can conquer this thing. I am also considering counceling. Its all a mind thing and I know this. Good luck on your journey. One thing I have figured out is its a never ending journey...

I think its just sooooo important to deal with your real issues and not just treat the band as a diet, with rules, counting, weighing, measuring. The band makes a lifestyle like that sort of sustainable, but i firmly believe to be really cured of obesity you need to get more in tune with your body its taken me years and i do relapse but fir the most part if i listen to my body, i truly can eat what i want. Tjis includes ice cream and chocolate but only when i truly want it, not just when i think for a split second that i do.

Counselling or even just reading books like Overcoming Overeating or If not Dieying Then What (my bible in the early days) can really help.

I can relate. I haven't been banded yet, but have been dealing with emotional eating all my life. I have to say that therapy really has helped. My therapist has taught me cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and it has been incredibly useful. I have learned to ask myself a series of questions before I get something to eat. I have also written them on cards that I stuck on my fridge and cabinet doors. The questions are:

Why am I here?

What am I feeling?

Do I really need to eat right now?

What is the worst thing that will happen if I wait 20 minutes?

Sometimes it seems kinda silly, but it really does help. I would recommend therapy, but remember that therapists are like any other medical professional in that they all have their own style and you may have to check out a few different ones before you find one who suits you best.

I received my lap band December 14 and I too have emotional eating issues. It is difficult to eat the amount of food that is prescribed. My first fill is on January 11. It has been a struggle since stopping liquids. But I am back on track but everyday I am reminded how much I use to eat. I am excited about this journey and ready to overcome the need to stuff myself.

Thanks everyone it really helps to share information. I do have a therapist and all year i have been sort of skimming about talking about this, other stuff comes up but i am committed to sorting it out, i was force fed as a kid by a european mother, when i was cold, eat, when i was scared eat, sick, eat, you name it. The CBT stuff is good, i find socially really hard, watching everyone eat and then it is my turn to remember and not feel deprived, youre right do i really want the food or just want to feel like everyone just want to fit it, im actually going to a party tonight, which will be interesting......im actually sore in the gut from the wrenching yesterday, and eating mush today which helps, i just want to feel comfortable and look decent.... its a never ending journey but I know one I can eventually conquer.....

I can totally relate. I was banded in June and have only lost about 10 lbs due to my emotional eating.

It is really disheartening, i totally understand ...do you visit th

I can totally relate. I was banded in June and have only lost about 10 lbs due to my emotional eating.

I received my lap band December 14 and I too have emotional eating issues. It is difficult to eat the amount of food that is prescribed. My first fill is on January 11. It has been a struggle since stopping liquids. But I am back on track but everyday I am reminded how much I use to eat. I am excited about this journey and ready to overcome the need to stuff myself.

Hi Simone, I too was banded in October, but have not had any complications, I too am an emotional eater and get stuck regularly from the same thing, I eat too quickly and if distracted I will get myself stuck! I am learning. It would be great to keep in touch and compare notes!! Good luck!!

Thanks JReal, its good to hear others, it is a horrible feeling when it gets stuck, today I feel better i know it is an ongoing issue and im not the only one. I do feel bad not having lost any more weight and im starting to talk about the reasons i feel about not being able to lose more weight around the sabotage issues, i know its really about the relationship with my mother, her force feeding and everytime my weight was ok, she would really freak out and start offering food, they are european and literally use food for everything!!!